NEW - Tablo Firmware Release 2.2.32

Yes, I can watch live TV after removing HD. Just tells me that the tuner works. I reconnected the HD & no live TV & not able to play recordings. I have a feeling that my HD got corrupted during the firmware update. I have a ticket in to Tablo. Thanks for your help.

Do not reply to the support ticket before they have a chance to respond or else you will be pushed back to the end of the queue.

With the HDD connected to the Tablo, try hitting the blue button on the back of the Tablo to reboot it. What is the make and model of the HDD anyway?

I tried hitting the blue button. Nothing resolved, however I think my HD failed. It’s a Seagate 5T. I plugged into a computer and it was not recognized although it dinged and light lit on HD.
I have a WD 3T I will try.
Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.

Don’t connect another drive to the Tablo until support gets to check out your unit.

I have owned and used Tablo since very first product release in 2015.

Latest update totally wrecked all playback.

2 Tablos, 7 Rokus, 3 AppleTVs now useless in a Covid sequestered home with 2 elderly viewers now without entertainment:

Your software QA IS A JOKE.

“Enhancements in reliability and performance” - Are you serious ???

My playback is also ruined! Tablo will not stay connected! No problems in the year before this last update!

Yes, the last year was excellent.

It took nearly 5 years from the time Tablo began shipping until they reached a stable product. Along the way, I posted hundreds of messages on this forum, with many complaints, occasional praise, and occasionally technical suggestions to overcome their combination of chaotic / poor software quality combined with frequent finger-pointing to other unwarranted causes. For well over a year, they blamed Roku for software race problems in the Tablo Roku app. Users were frequently accused of having everything from bad routers to user misunderstandings.

The firmware release in February 2018, three years ago, was a train wreck. After they eventually figured it out, and fixed their mistakes, the overall stability of their code has been generally quite adequate. I actually would call it good quality, all considered.

Fingers crossed that they will fix this in days or weeks.

1 Like

Can you provide specific details as to the problems you are encountering?

I have a 4 tuner OG Tablo as well and am not having any issues with recordings, playback of recordings or any general usability issues at all on the 2.2.32 firmware, which I assume is the latest update to which you are referring.

1 Like

You live in a house with 10 TVs and can’t afford cable? lol

Regardless you’re going to have to wait until Tuesday for Tablo Support to remote into your box.

What quality setting is set for your 2 Tablos?
I have 3 Tablos set to HD 1080 - 8 Mbps with no issues before, nor after the update.
I’ll test the highest quality setting if that’s the one you’re using.

Oooooo, let’s look inside your house and see what you have. lolol

1 Like

Not that it helps you specifically, but they do release every update to the beta users a few weeks before public release. The beta users are good at catching things that did not show up in internal testing but some bugs are sneaky.

Hopefully support can get you running quickly. I know they can roll you back in firmware version if needed.

Hi there “theuser” I was wondering if you were still hanging around here. It has been years since we have talked. I hope your perch in Ottawa is warm and comfy. Yes I know, these issues are all imaginary…

No, actually seven TVs, since the Apple and Roku boxes are shared by three of the TV sets. And no, I do not buy cable. As you may recall, I have spent many years of my career in RF engineering, and want to own and operate my own OTA hardware. For the decade preceding the arrival of Tablo, I used Sage TV and started doing home video in 1970 with 1/2" EIAJ Sony tape helical VTRs. By then, I was already a licensed FCC first class broadcast engineer with five grades of ham licenses, and built and operated my own ham television station, WA2GVP. I could never leave all of this fun up to the cable company!

Basic problems now are in connecting to my 2 Tablo servers, extremely flakey fast forwards if I manage to connect, recordings broken into 1-4 minute fragments, or not recorded at all, and error messages leading me to Tablo Roku support after long timeouts not only on my Rokus but same message to use Roku tips on my AppleTVs.

Program guide issues, stalled playback on iOS, Roku, ATV.

Unable to watch most recordings made before firmware update and nearly all made thereafter.

Other than that, the Tablos work fine…

I forgot to mention above that six of my TVs are Samsung bottom of the line Walmart 27 inch models, all the same, purchased for $139 apiece. All seven Roku’s were about $60 apiece, and the three Apple TV’s about $400 total. My seventh TV is a Benq LCD projector in a home theater, $699. Total investment is a little bit over two grand, excluding Tablo equipment.

Cable cutters, and especially those like me who never bought cable, enjoy do it yourself and enjoy saving money. Other than some very deluxe electronic test instruments, any look you want to do into my house would not leave you terribly impressed.

1 Like

maybe they can affort 10 TVs because they don’t have cable? :wink:

On the surface I’d like to agree with you. But taken into account, all the variables involved - it’s a hodge-podge of who-knows-what out there to support.

Tablo it’s self works (reasonably well when used as designed)… but to access it - it’s open to a large variety of app and devices across various versions. Then get into network topology.

Tech supporting users knowingly with little to no understanding. Then the other extreme of the engineer’s telling them how to fix things - tech support woks, unfortunately for some, from the bottom up, you have to start with the screen readers through the basics.

Trying to figure out users own words for technical details add to the challenge, see that here often. “The way I see it”, “My understanding”, “I don’t know why” – believing they know something is wrong when nothing is, or conceiving them it doesn’t work the way they “think it should”.

So you get something straightened out, intelligent user claiming not to have changed anything… trying to tweak things to their understanding, calls repeatably - with a problem which doesn’t actually exists.

Why would a retired engineer, who claims it took 5 years before tablo became stable and the product is required for covid sequestered elderly viewers, step to the front of the line and volunteer to install a new release not only on one tablo but both tablos.

I thought the software update screen allowed for “Later”.

Supporting a product like Tablo is, no doubt, a very challenging problem.

Which is all the more reason not to make changes, introduce features which themselves are flaky, support a multitude of different platforms, etc.

And even more justification to hire competent quality assurance engineers who will test software rigorously before releasing it.

For whatever it is worth, I have suggested on this form years ago that Tablo release its own companion player box, with Wi-Fi/ethernet in and HDMI out. The player would completely be under their control, not subject to unexpected OS updates from Roku, Apple, Amazon, Google, etc.

If they choose to marginally support all these different platforms, adding features many of us don’t even want, and don’t provide adequate testing, then

SHAME ON THEM

Good question, zippy.

Shame on me!

I guess I naĂŻvely expected that the long-term stability I had experienced in recent years reflected maturity in the company and its software development process.

Even a retired engineer with a lot of experience can be wrong, and I certainly was.

Mea Culpa.

I have 3 tablos, the earliest since 2014. I never splat a new release across all of them at the same time.

I also have a fire tv stick connected because of those times when the Roku app didn’t work with the Roku OS.

Hopefully they can get it figured out for you @RetiredEngineer. It seems like you are encountering a rash of issues that may lead back to one specific cause and some of us haven’t encountered any of them after installing the 2.2.32 firmware.