NEW - Tablo Firmware Release 2.2.32

I have more information on the firmware bug introduced with 2.2.32. I have tested with my old Quad model SPVR4-01-NA and a loaned new Dual TDNS2B-01-CN model.

Once you are setup with a full guide and favorited channels, go to “Scheduled” → “Add New” to create a manual recording. It doesn’t matter if it is a one-time recording or a repeating recording. Pick a solid channel that won’t disappear on a channel re-scan. Once you have created the manual scheduled recording, go to the “Tablo” menu (above “Live TV”), do a channel scan, do not change any of your channel favorites (but ensure the channel with the manual recording still appears after a rescan). Do a “Save & Continue”. Watch to see that your guide is in “Updating now…”, if it doesn’t automatically start updating the guide, hit the “Update” button. Next, go back to the “Scheduled” → “All”, and you will see that your manually created recordings are gone.

I would appreciate others here on the thread please try this yourself and confirm that the same problem happens with you…it is still possible, though unlikely, that there is something unique to my setup or router that is contributing to this issue.

The scheduled Manual recordings disappearing is not a bug that was introduced in the latest firmware version because I noticed the same behaviour with the previous firmware version 2.2.30.

I don’t use Manual recordings often so I don’t know if it had the save behaviour in any of the firmware version before 2.2.30.

Doesn’t each tablo make a call to http://tabloIP:8885/server/update/info each time it “starts up” or the app connects to it? and if

state:"available"

it displays available information?

I just connected via web browser, and watched a Live TV channel.
last_checked date, and time get updated, but the ‘state’ value remains “none”.

I don’t really know any specifics other than I see it every time I connect, I presume it’s “a thing” for virtually every process in some way.

I was just asking actually… ya know, never really answers things, just ask questions you already knows the answers to or start something different.

I have 4 manual repeating recordings, they never disappeared before 2.2.32 firmware upgrade. I’m a maniac, I rescan 2-3 times a week. I am positive this bug was introduced in 2.2.32

Will the scheduled manual recordings disappear if the channel list is not updated?

How often do you scan and nothing has changed?

I finally updated to the new firmware last night, now the Tablo is not being seen by any of the apps. It is on my network, as it is hardwired and I see it in my router DCHP connected device table. In addition, I am able to ping the IP for the Tablo with success. Why is the Tablo app on my smart devices not seeing/connecting to the Tablo device? I have restarted the Tablo, force stopped the app, but still cannot connect to the Tablo over my network and it worked fine last night before I initiated the update.

Immediately after the 2.2.32 firmware update 2 days ago, my Tablo started acting weird. It drops the connection with my devices after only a minute or two of activity. Sometimes I would be in Settings; sometimes I would be trying to watch TV. On the Roku app I would get a “Reconnecting to Tablo…” message. On my iPhone I get “Player Error - Unknown.” Sometime the reconnect works, sometimes not. When I fire up my Roku app, it frequently says “Can’t find Tablo,” After 3 or 4 “Try again” attempts, the connection occurs, but then drops. I first tried resetting the Tablo. Then I tried power-cycling the Tablo. Then I tried removing the Roku app, unplugged my router, unplugged by Tablo, and unplugged my Roku. Then reconnected everything in reverse order allowing 10 minutes minutes between each step. I’ve been using Wifi for my Tablo connection for a year. It is 15 feet away from my router and my cell phone tells me the Wifi signal is 200Mbps at that location. For the past year, I’ve never had a “Reconnecting…’ message. Today I also tried a factory reset, and set the Tablo device up from scratch. No improvement in behavior. Of course a factory reset leaves you with the latest firmware. I wish I could return to the old firmware. Tablo support is not in the office until next Tuesday. Any ideas? THANKS!

2 Likes

I have had the same problem since the latest firmware update.
The update corrupted my HD and I had to reformat on a windows computer to use it. Tablo issues persist.
I think there are many others with the same issue. Tablo needs to fix this immediately or roll back the update. No excuse for being closed on weekends and not working on this massive problem.

Thanks for mentioning the hard drive. I hadn’t thought about that as a potential problem since my recordings could be played. So… I removed the external drive from my Tablo, reformatted it on my Mac, re-attached it to the Tablo, and then accepted the prompts by the Tablo app to format it again for the Tablo. After the Tablo reformat, my “reconnect” messages have gone away and all is working great (so far.) It was worth the price of losing my previous recordings. THANKS!

Just wondering what program you used on the Mac. Thanks, Jim

If you were willing to format the HDD, a better option would likely have been to factory reset the Tablo. This also clears the database stored on the Tablo if it was causing problems.

I used the Apple’s Disk Utility that came with the Mac. The key point to me was to erase and format it so that the Tablo would recognize a brand new drive that needed to be formatted in the Tablo format for use.

I did do a factory reset on the Tablo hoping that it would solve my problem. But it didn’t. I’m now thinking that the firmware install clobbered my external drive in some minor way, but not enough to cause the factory reset to think that my drive needed to be re-formatted. I concluded that the only way I could force Tablo to reformat the drive, was to reformat it myself on my Mac, so that Tablo would consider it to be a new drive that needed to be reformatted. :slight_smile:

Most likely it “thought” you were moving your drive to a new tablo -

It’s by design to load the backed up DB on your drive from a fresh aka factory reset tablo. This assumption or let’s-see-what-happens is inaccurate.
All you really would have needed to do was delete the /DB path.

After the firmware update (2.2.32), got message that the hard drive was disconnected. I pulled the power and reconnected. Everything seemed OK after that except I cannot play any recordings or even live stream. Tried power cycle again, reset modem & router. Still no success. I can see that new recordings are there, but not playable. Using Fire TV app on 2 TV sets.

The settings page should indicate if the disk is connected. The recordings information displayed is most likely coming from flash memory.

Is there something unusual about you brand and model of disk.

Disc is connected. I ree the recorded shows, but won’t play. Multiple reboots, deleted app and reinstalled, etc.
All this started after the firmware update yesterday.

Turn off the Tablo (disconnect the power adapter). Disconnect the USB hard drive. Turn on the Tablo. See if you can watch live TV without a USB hard drive connected, you should be able to watch live TV without an HDD connected.