NEW - Tablo Firmware Release 2.2.26

The 100 on CW also had a chunk of the show marked as commercial. It was between two sets of commercials and got marked as part of the commercial.

I was looking forward to commercial skip and recognize that it is in Beta, but it still has a ways to go. Watching 48 Hours, large chunks of programming were skipped on 2 occasions. Hopefully it can be refined, but until it is I will disable and use thumbnails to quickly skip through commercials.

Last night I tried to record 7 Outter Limits shows from 1995 season.

0 for 7. All failed due to “Commercial Skip detection failed”.

Might need a better failure reason or a fix for the failure.

My wife is now sick of commercial skip due to errors. I wish I could just turn it off completely for her shows so we don’t waste bandwidth and server resources. Since it’s not an option I’m leaving the commercial skip on(globally) so I can continue to use it and she can manually disable it (within the recording) when she watches her recordings.

I never thought it was meant for all shows.

There are shows that people seem to have some emotional attachment to. If commercial skip burps a little for those, viewers seem to come unglued. I have very few in that category. But since I have multiple tablos I can isolate lower value recordings on a commercial skip unit.

Maybe some day the feature will allow users to specify per recording commercial skip.

We’ll have to see if commercial skips machine learning will get any better at tagging commercials that it thinks are part of the episode.

2 Likes

I have a little issue since installing this update. Seems like most all the prime time shows are recording way over their actual time. A hour long show tapes for 1 1/2 hours, 30 min shows record for 45 min, ect…anyone else run into this? The daytime shows record at the actual time. I do have “extended record for live programs” enabled, but can’t see why that would matter. I have the older 4 tuner Tablo, connected via ethernet cable to my Netgear Nighthawk X6 router. Any suggestion?

Season’s Finale are also extended by 50 percent.

No, it’s not that…it’s doing it even on ones that are not season finales, ones that the guide clearly show a 1 hour run time and it still records for 90 min.

Yes a live show or a season finale that is 60 minutes on the guide will record for 90 minutes long, that is 50% overtime.

Please provide a specific example of the name of the show and episode number and name. The Tablo guide data could be making mistakes in what is marked as live or a season finale.

Auto Extend Live Recordings:

• Automatically extends recording time for airings marked as ‘live’ (including sports and specials)
  • When enabled, Tablo will add 50% of the total scheduled time for Live recordings and season/series finales, up to a maximum of 2 hours
  • Auto Extend Live will be enabled by default but can be turned off within the Settings screen

Read this:

I have seen the same. Happened on The Enemy Within and Blacklist if I recall.
Did not cause any issues and I delete everything after watching so I don’t have all them handy but it did happen about 6-7 times in the last week.

Also, happened on Ransom 5/25.

Pretty certain it has nothing to do with your router or even the Tablo. Probably some data glitch.

I don’t think it’s the update. I have also had this happen when it shouldn’t. I suspect it sometimes happens due to a guide data error. The fact that it happened right after the update is probably just a coincidence in this case.

2 Likes

Agreed. I had this happen on last week’s NCIS season finale and I have not upgraded to 2.2.26. Recording extended by 30 minutes…

That’s working exactly like it should and isn’t related to 2.2.26. That’s how it has worked for season finales assuming you have the “extended record for live programs” enabled. Finales are treated as live programs in this scenario.

It is also happening exactly the opposite. I have had one hour shows record for 90 minutes even though not season finale and not “extended record” enabled.

Do they happen to indicate they are live shows at all (I’m thinking along the lines of The Voice, American Idol or AGT when they get into the live episodes)? Still seems like it might be incorrect guide data but that what you are describing definitely sounds like a bug.

Were they season/series premieres?

@TabloTV

• Not season/series premieres,

• Not live show…these were regular drama type programs.

It only happens once in a while and not all shows on the same night.

I suspect bad guide data or some other database error since it seems pretty random.

Well the issue would be more than bad guide data if you have the extend live recordings feature actually turned off, it would be a deep seeded hidden bug in the Tablo firmware. It should not extend recordings if the feature is turned off.

"Well the issue would be more than bad guide data if you have the extend live recordings feature actually turned off,"

It is OFF.

Next time you see it, let us know. It’s often hard to diagnose a guide-based error after an airing has passed, but you never know what we might find in the logs.