NEW - Tablo App for Amazon Fire TV Update (1.3.4)

The folks at Amazon play everything pretty close to the vest.

But to be fair, it’s difficult even for us as a non-public company to say anything more than ‘soon’ because there are so many dependencies that can affect rollout dates for new firmware.

I’m looking at purchasing the Tablo to go along with my Fire TV. Has this issue been resolved yet?

Sorry Joey - we’re still waiting and checking every day…

No firmware update from Amazon since late January so hopefully a new one is coming soon!

Okay! Could this be the time! Cord Cutters News is now advertising that Amazon is currently updating Fire TV, Fire TV Sticks, and Fire Smart TV’s with a new OS update. Could this be the one we are waiting for to resolve the issues with Tablo and the 3rd Gen Firestick??

Unfortunately, no.

AFTVnews.com has more details here: http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-update-adds-new-prime-video-interface-and-makes-amazon-channels-easier-to-access/

Which includes:

The Fire TV 3 is likely not receiving this update at this time because it is the only model that runs Fire OS 6, as opposed to Fire OS 5, so it’s on a different software track than other Fire TV models.

Shucks! Didn’t realize the Fire Stick 3rd Gen had a different OS than its predecessors.

For those who’ve been following the Amazon Fire TV 4K dongle, you know we’ve been checking for a firmware update EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. since Amazon told us (back in February) that their next update would have a fix for the stuttering issue that is seen only on this version of their player.

So we were all pretty excited when we saw an update was available! (Fire OS 6.2.1.3 (N6213/1196)

That excitement was quickly dashed though as the problem persists. :frowning:

We do know EXACTLY what the issue is, and it is a difference in how the 4K dongle decodes the very specific type of video stream Tablo sends. It’s unclear why Amazon is using a different type of decoder for this device vs. their other products.

We have let Amazon know that we’re still waiting on a fix and will keep you posted.

Thanks so much for your patience everyone!

1 Like

I also take it the new Tablo Preview update wont fix it?

Unfortunately no… :frowning: It’s an issue on the Amazon side with how they process the video we deliver.

The video segments are the same coming via the Preview app and the original Tablo app.

Beyond happy I tossed aside the Fire TV dongle for a Roku. It plays the Tablo flawlessly. :smiley:

Just found this thread after noticing that my new 4K Fire TV stutters with Tablo only. My question is why does my sling app, netflix app, and MLB.tv app play flawless, but Tablo doesn’t? Does this have to do with the type of encoding that Tablo uses compared to all other apps?

Tablo is working an issue with me as for some reason one of our local broadcast stations (ABC) doesn’t play nice with Tablo. Since Tablo doesn’t have the capability to turn on/off dual language feeds, we are having problems with any nationally broadcast sporting events on ABC/ESPN, such as NBA games, Indy Car Racing, etc. No issues in receiving the signal, however, once the network shifts to the play-by-play announcers, the language of choice is Spanish and there is no way to change it. However, anytime they shift from the play-by-play announcers to commercials or half-time events, the language is back to English. Tablo feels this is a local broadcast issue since that is the only local channel with these issues and, of course, the local broadcast station says it is a Tablo issue. Yet, this is the same network channel that for a great portion of the day their audio is running behind the video. And during the afternoon, for some reason the audio starts about 5 seconds later from the video during local commercials. Yes, we have a resolution for the ABC channel and sporting events. I have a splitter installed on the OTA line. One feed goes to the TV coaxial plug for the tuner and the second feed goes to Tablo. And yes, when I bypass Tablo and go direct to the TV with the signal, no issues with the language or audio. Figure that out!!

So I’ve been switching between my old fire stick(slow as heck stick) and the new 4k… the tablo player had been choppy… today my tablo updated its firmware. the 4k now plays without chopped audio… playing perfectly.
*not sure what fixed this, I wish I had checked last week, as I had recently installed VLC media player and MX player onto the 4k…
but if the firmware isn’t what fixed it for me then maybe having those codecs (old windows term) solved it???
@TabloSupport hope this helps

Are we talking about the new Firmware update – 2.2.20?? Just turned mine on to see it was wanting to update. I will try the 4K this afternoon to see if mine works better.

Earlier today, I swapped out the Firestick (Gen 2) with the new 4K apparatus to include the dongle for direct connect to the router. Updated all the software for the 4K stick and also Tablo. The video is still a little jumpy when you are watching sports. No changed noted! Like Tablo stated, the recent Amazon update to the 4K unit did not resolve the problem. I am going to keep the 4K up this time and use my split connection for my external antenna to watch local channels using the TV tuner. Will go back and recheck the non-sports programs to see if I can pick up on any video fluctuations. If I still see them I will have to decide which way to go – Firestick (Gen 2) or bypass the Tablo completely and not worry about recording anything.

so I was having audio issues… every 3 seconds it would cut out for a half a second. that is now gone. however I turned on the indy 500 today, I noticed the info bar they had wasn’t scrolling smoothly almost like it was pausing at the rate of a heart beat…
now that I’m watching it further I do notice a very subtle jerking (if you will) to the video… but barely noticeable

Dear Tablo,

This is beyond frustrating. Just read through the thread and see how many people this is impacting, and look at the different ways in which others are trying to get around the issue: everything from bypassing to antenna directly to purchasing a Roku.

I love my Tablo–I really do. But I’m tired of having to find work arounds. Unless you release your own tv device, I expect this product to work on any new device that I might purchase–period. Please stop blaming Amazon. Indeed, it may be their fault, but it’s your product. So, fix it; change the way you stream on this device so that the Amazon device can decode it correctly. If you can’t do that then why should I remain loyal to you when there are other products available?

1 Like

I agree, you shouldn’t.
Tablo is a one size fits all product.
However, it fits some things (Roku) better than others.

We hear you. We hate it that this problem has persisted for so long, especially with even more new Amazon devices on the way.

I can tell you that there are things in the works behind the scenes. It’s not something that we’re sitting here twiddling our thumbs on.

As soon as I have details to share, I will.

Stay tuned and thanks so much for your patience.

1 Like

Tablo TV — question for me! Does this problem go away if we switch from a Firestick to a 4K Roku? Also, does the speed increase going to a Roku for booting up and changing channels?