NEW - Tablo Android Mobile App (4th Gen) Update (v. 1.0.4)

32 WiFi and 32 wired. And that seemed to be the most common limits a few years ago.

I’m having 2 serious issues with the 4th Gen Android phone app.

1. Watching live TV has frequent glitches, such as audio cut outs, skipped frames, pixelation. Every 10-20 secs or so. Watching recordings later seems fine. During initial setup this lead me to think I was having issues with my antenna. I spent a long time repositioning it and trying a bigger more powerful antenna seemingly to no avail. I eventually tried it on my Fire TV stick, Chromecast with Google TV, and my wife’s iPhone. All worked fine which tells me it it a problem with the Android phone/tablet app. For reference I have a OnePlus 8T phone, but I also tried it on my Fire HD 10 tablet an had the same issues.

2. I use a third party launcher on my phone called Nova Launcher. Having the 4th Gen tablo TV app installed causes my phone to constantly forget my default launcher an ask which one to use every time I hit the home button even if I tell it to remember the choice. Going into the Nova Launcher settings I got a notification that this is a known bug that some apps have an it specifically called out the Tablo app as causing the problem. Once I uninstalled the Tablo app the problem went away.

These 2 issues make the Android phone app absolutely unusable for me.

1 Like

@TabloSupport @TabloEngineering – Please take note

@Det64 I am having the same issue as your first one. I set up my Tablo Gen 4 using the Android app on a Galaxy Z Flip 5. Setup was no problem, except I made the mistake of connecting to a lower throughput 2.4 gHz wifi network instead of the more efficient 5 gHz network. When I tried out playback of either Live or Recorded shows, I had terrible stutter and freezing – 3-5 sec of video with 8-10 sec pause. I reconfigured my wifi nodes to get one close enough to the Tablo to connect via Ethernet and that went smoothly.

Now, playback on a Firestick or Fire Cube device is perfect, but on my android app I still get momentary video/audio stutter. Happens on both Live and Recorded shows. pauses are now only for half second or so, but happen 5-6 times per minute. Becomes very distracting and annoying.

So I agree, there seems to be a CODEC processing glitch in the Android app.

3 Likes

@Seeker336 Agreed, it sounds like the same issue to me. Especially what you are seeing now using ethernet.

Just to add more info, I have the Tablo gen 4 hardwired using ethernet and my phone is on my 5ghz WiFi.

@snowcat Yes I’m having the same issue. See my post above.

@snowcat Yes, I seem to have had the same experience as you describe on the Android app. See my post above. Note that I also referred that post to @TabloSupport and @TabloEngineering

2 Likes

Thanks. I am sure the developers are working on this issue.

We are investigating the first issue within the player now, and hope to have some news on this soon.

For the second issue, you mentioned the Tablo app was mentioned by the Launcher - can you share this screenshot/dialogue message with us if possible?

@TabloSupport I have tried several times but I can’t get Nova Launcher Settings to give me that message again. Might have been a one time thing. So I can’t get you a screenshot of the right now. I have attached a screenshot of the pop-up I get everytime I hit the home button.

For memory the messages was something like: “There is a common issue where some apps disrupt the default launcher. It is possible Tablo App is causing this issue.”

YES! That is exactly my problem with this version of the Android Tablo app

@TabloSupport I have found more information about the third party launcher issue from reddit.

“Android app is not compatible with using a third-party Android launcher with a class called LaunchActivity. This resets the user selected android launcher each time trying to go back to the launcher. If there is more than one launcher installed, this forces android to request every single time the user re-select their choice of launcher. Choosing that the selection to be “always” does not help. The only real solution to this is to uninstall the badly behaving Tablo 4th Gen android app.”

Please fix this issue ASAP! It is making the app completely unusable for me and many others. Using third party launchers is a fundamental part of Android that has been a part of it since the beginning. This is not a user issue! Plenty of people use third party launchers and 99.9% of apps manage to not interfere with it.

1 Like

I have EXACTLY that issue. I will remove Tablo app and see if that resolves the launcher issue.

1 Like

Confirmed! Removed the Tablo app on both Samsung tablet and phone and the launcher problem is gone. Cleary the Tablo app on android with multiple launchers is a problem.

1 Like

@TabloSupport Any update on the bug with live TV or the 3rd party launcher issue? I feel like this should be a priority. This is not like some of the minor bugs and glitches some people are reporting that make using some of the apps a little annoying. This has made it such that the Android app basically may as well not exist because it is unusable.

2 Likes

Yes, but only when trying to watch live OTA channels. Recordings from OTA and live or recorded FAST channels seem fine.

I thinks so but I actually did have different issue playing back a recording last night where the playback would skip ahead but that may have just been a bad recording, I’m not sure.

However, the third party launcher issue makes the app unusable, because just having the app installed very negatively affects my normal use of my phone. So, I can’t leave it installed. And no I’m not going to abandon Nova Launcher which I have been using for years, which is superior in everyway to the default launcher on my phone, and which I have paid money to get the pro version of because I like it that much, to accommodate one badly coded app. I have 100+ other apps on my phone, plenty of media playback apps, and they all manage to not cause this problem.

@TabloSupport If you are deprioritizing this app because your analytics tells you not many people are using it I would encourage you to consider that maybe that is because it is unusable in its current state.

If you are deprioritizing this app because your analytics tells you you’re getting plenty of installs I would encourage you to consider that maybe that is because people like me have installed and uninstalled the app 10+ times to do something really quick and they get it off my phone because it make my phone unusable.

Hi folks -

An update is now available with a number of fixes, including one for the playback issue:

1 Like

Huge improvement! Thanks. I still have jerky playback that looks a little like judder on my low end Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, but it is a big improvement. Playback is very smooth and synced on my Motorola Edge now. :+1:

The third party launcher bug is still not fixed. So, the app is still unusable for me and many others.

1 Like