NEW Maintenance Firmware Release - 2.2.8

They don’t rely on one server. Amazon and Facebook for instance have thousands of nodes that collectively act as “the server” but there is not one single point known as “the server.” That is their cloud. Their nodes can dynamically be rebooted; they come in and go out of existence dynamically without affecting “the whole.” Facebook has built data centers upon that concept - of dynamically removeable and replaceable rack components with no downtime. Entire motherboards can be moved in and moved out, quarantined or isolated and reset.

2 Likes

TCP is a set of layers used by apps above it (e.g. a web server). Those apps use TCP’s functions and these apps instantiate TCP buffers through TCP’s API. The TCP stack has been known to be corrupted by client apps. Microsoft’s implementation of TCP was notorious for network failures. The first versions of Internet Explorer were huge TCP choke points that froze machines.

I haven’t rebooted my Tablo in at least 3 months and it runs 1080p 10mbps like a champ. It might depend on network configuration.

I would love to chime in on this topic, but I can’t. Still stuck on 2.2.6. What do I need to do to upgrade?

You will see a message on your Tablo sometime in the next few days. It will tell you that the firmware is ready to be upgraded, so just follow the instructions at that point.

I got the 2.2.8 release a couple of days ago. It did not help with the issues I was having with Roku crashes on Roku 2XS after using FF. I then decided to install the Tablo Legacy version so I could watch for more than 10 mins at a time. When I forced update from Roku to pick up the app, Roku updated its firmware to 7.0 build 9037.

I tried the Tablo current Roku release with 2.2.8 firmware AND Roku firmware to 7.0 build 9037. All problems are now gone.

Cheers to the Tablo (and Roku) teams!

Now, if Tablo would detect as duplicate when the same show is broadcast on the lower resolution sub channel instead of recording 2 or 3 episodes of the same show, I would be very happy.

1 Like

After my manual reset earlier today, one show watched after with zero problems in any manner.

Watched two shows later tonight, and after nearly every FF past commercials, I would get one LPW for about 2-3 seconds, and would backtrack 10 seconds.

Livable, but not ideal. Still some work to do.

I never had problems until you push the new version of software. Now my Tablo is forgetting to record many shows. Tonight it lost connection with the hard drive. I am hooked up to the Roku 3. I have found that if you delete the old scheduled recording, and then reschedule, it will work. You need somebody to write you some better SW test plans.

I just wish my Tablo would get the software update. Tablo works great on my Roku 3s but not so much on my 2XSs.

I hope this hits my Tablo tonight. Our Roku 3’s updated to 7.0 and we can’t watch more than 20 minutes without it doing the waiting game. If I press through and try to watch again, the next time it goes into the waiting loop the Tablo crashes and will no longer accept connections from any device.

My Rokus (4200 and 4210) had infrequent FF crashes before Roku firmware version 7. Now it has freezes and LPW.

When it starts to get bad( which a relative term) I pause the playback and backout to the Roku home menu. Then I reboot the Roku and after reboot give it 2 minutes before restarting the tablo app. That usually allows TCP/IP to clean up all the sockets that might be in time_wait because of TTL.

So far I haven’t had to reboot the actual tablo server.

1 Like

@Kevin_Leonard - Are you now running 2.2.8? If your hard drive is disconnecting, this may be the reason why you’re missing recordings.

Can you please touch base with support so we can look at your logs? We can see if there might be an issue with your hard drive: http://bit.ly/1w8BrBw

Are you releasing more units for update today? I’m still sitting at the update to 2.2.6.

2 Likes

It’s been a 5 days now, when can we expect the roll out to be compete? It is already beyond frustrating dealing with LPW’s and FFWD reboots since the Roku 7 update. Waiting days upon days for you to grace me with a firmware update adds insult to this inconvenience. @TabloTV do better and get us all the update please. You get #epicfail and -1 so far on how you handled this latest disappointment in your service partnership with Roku. I put my families TV entertainment faith in you all. Please just do better for us all.

2 Likes

Bring on the updates… I’m stuck on 2.2.6 and losing spousal support for this with the looping errors.

2 Likes

I have no real issues, but still want the new firmware. Ho hum.

1 Like

Well @TabloTV replied to a ticket and suggested that I go ahead and accept both updates, beta4 and then 2.2.8 and now have the loading please wait on live TV on 720 and 1080i stations. I initially went up to the 1080p-10 setting as they suggested earlier but it was unwatchable so I dropped back down to 1080-8 and while it got better it’s WAY worse than being on beta2. Once the updates were complete I deleted all Tablo channels on each Roku 3 and restarted them. I then rebooted the router and the Tablo and reinstalled the Roku channels. That’s when I saw the unbelievable amount of LPWs. I then reduced the setting to 1080-8, rebooted the Tablo and closed/reopened each Tablo channel but still see the LPWs, mainly early on in tuning to a channel but they’re there during the show as well. In one case it was my old “bizarre buffering/repeating on live TV” experience from my Jan 29 post in the forum. I had to laugh but then that feeling subsided quickly.

I also checked recordings and also seeing the LPWs and the initial startup is twice as long, about 8-10 seconds except for the first one which was almost 30 seconds and the most recent which took 47 seconds. Resuming from FF/REW with either purple buttons or standard keys is three times as long now at about 10 seconds except the most recent which took 50 seconds. This last recording is now stuck in that LPW loop and taking about 15 seconds to resume.

I am so going to be in the dog house. I wish I would have just stuck with beta2.

@theuser86 it appears I was wrong. They are sending out the 2.2.8 to beta folks as I finally accepted the beta4 and then it immediately prompted for 2.2.8. Did you get that too?

Actually, it’s not 2.2.8 it’s “2.2.8 Update”…which is an increment from 2.2.7 Beta 4 and the released 2.2.8.
Consider it 2.2.7 Beta 5 if you will…

2 Likes

I can no longer watch a channel and have it stay playing until channel changed. I used to be able to as long as it was not being recorded.

Also today on the Nexus Player a tuner was stuck in the last few minutes of a show that was over. I ended up going to 5 different stations to clear the tuner. That didn’t work either, so I restarted the Nexus Player.

It is letting me watch without selecting. I just got done watching two half hour shows on same channel.