NEW Maintenance Firmware Release - 2.2.8

My 2 cents worth: Feedback and an Appeal to the nice folks at TabloTV.

Feedback

• 2.2.8 on a wired Roku 3 is noticeably more stable than 2.2.6 Okay, I’m only a little more than 48 hours into the upgrade.
  • Two LPWs (I can always force it to happen: FF for < 5 seconds then hit play. LPW should happen in 2-3 minutes)
  • One freeze. (FF and then suddenly everything becomes unresponsive. The stream may recover but will
    stutter and lead to a Roku reload).

Appeal

• To the great folks at TabloTV, I really, really, really want your product to work. You are building an easy-to-use solution to cord cutters who are looking to shed the high cost of a subscription service.
  • You are however entering a realm that has had decades to become stable and where consumers have an increasingly high expectation of the user experience (responsiveness, stability etc.)
  • While those on this forum are “happy” to muck in and look at the guts of why problems persist and engage in philosophical debates, the market at large just wants something that works. (Netflix works. PLEX works. Amazon works. etc.)
  • Perception is everything.
  • Please don’t mess with stability… it ruins the Wife Acceptance Factor which is a bad thing for everyone.

Thank you again!

4 Likes

I have had this on once or twice as well.

1 Like

And I have had this on Netflix and Amazon with Roku firmware 7 :confused:

When I was using 2.2.6 I set all my series recordings to “Record all Episodes” (not Record only new Episodes) because there was an issue in the recordings. Now with 2.2.8 and many series are ending for the winter, can I safely set all my scheduled recorded series to “Record only new episodes” and not miss a beat when they start up again. I don’t want to record old shows.

I finally have my update, but I haven’t tested it yet.

Was a little hesitant to install the 2.2.8 based on the mixed reviews of this version here and the fact the 2.2.7 had actually fixed most of my problems (that and a full factory reset).

But bit the bullet today. So far, it seems like an overwhelming success.

Thinking removing most of my recordings, full factory reset and rebooting all devices made the difference. Hope this works for others as well.

That’s what I do for many current shows. Just set it to only record new and leave it be. All summer long it did not record any shows, but now in fall as the new episodes started it records them. Most of the time we watch the shows as they happen. The recorded episodes are for just in case we are not home. Or we plan to watch the recordings and skip through commercials. We typically delete them after they are watched.

How long is this update supposed to take? It’s been almost one and a half HOURS with the blinking blue light. I need to set a recording and at this rate I’m screwed.

Edit - Over 2 hours now and still blinking.

One issue for me: In two instances, the Roku exited out to the Tablo channel live-TV grid about a minute after starting a live-TV stream. Otherwise, streaming stability seems to be much improved. I even used the 720p/60 setting for football yesterday and noticed only a couple of LPWs (which may have been reception-related).

LoriM, I just got the update and installed it. I’m guessing it took about 7 minutes to complete. I always use my iPad to do the updates, don’t know if that matters. One thing that always happens is the iPad reports it cannot find any Tablos after the final reboot is complete. I just wait for it to complete its database recombobulating (hard drive stops crunching) then it always connects.

It should only take 5-10 mins. Unplug the Tablo for five mins and then plug it back in and see if it updated. If not try update again.

Got the update today. At first it was still acting up.
I decided to reboot all my devices router then tablo then roku.
Seems to be working very well.

Finally got the update. Install seemed to go fine. Mulitiple LPW’s over the course of watching several shows (about 3 per show) followed by sluggishness when forwarding through commercials, then playback stalled and froze before a Roku crash/reboot. I’ll go through the entire reboot sequence tomorrow to see if that helps. If not, I’ll put in a service request and hope a reliable solution can be found. I love the concept of having a single box feeding OTA/DVR programming to multiple TV’s but I’m growing weary of these issues.

Updated to 2.2.8 last night (2 tuner), using the Legacy Roku app FF and playback startup was quick. However, even with the update, the redesigned Tablo app is just too slow on my 2XS (was slow before 2.2.8).

Add replace with Nexus Player and the repeat will be gone :slight_smile: Best $50 I spent

I tried what you recommended several times since. I even left it to do its thing overnight. No go. It blinked blue all night long. Unplugged and replugged this morning over an hour ago and it’s still blinking. I’m not having any network issues with any other devices. I even cycled my router and cable modem on and off just to make sure. Any other suggestions?

@TabloSupport Help please? This is ridiculous and I’m very unhappy right now. Except for audio/video sync issues in Chrome, things were relatively good before attempting this update.

@LoriM - Sorry to hear that. Please send us a note and we’ll get this fixed up for you: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I have submitted a ticket on this. I hope this can be resolved soon so that I don’t miss even more recordings later this afternoon.

Used to have 2.2.6… now with Roku fw7 and Tablo 2.2.8, I got a LPW in the middle of a 1 hour show, but before that when I went to watch the show initially, my Roku 3 crashed (so things should have been pretty fresh). I am now an official member of a growing club.

My Roku build is at 9021 (ver.7). Does that make a difference? I see 9037 mentioned.
Last week after my move to ver. 2.2.8 I find no improvements with any of my issues.
“loading, please wait”, excessive wait times loading recorded programs and waiting out ff is really trying
I did notice while loading 2.2.8 I lost the signal but it still showed that I had received the upgrade, could it have been corrupted, if so can I reinstall?