NEW Maintenance Firmware Release - 2.2.8

It comes back eventually if it does not reboot.

1 Like

My Roku 3’s are flaking out a bit. I’m going to take the advice from @doni and reboot everything in order.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for the 2.2.8 update to show up. So much for “it’ll be pushed out to everyone by Friday.” In the meantime, my Roku experience keeps getting worse. @TabloSupport @TabloTV doesn’t appear to have anyone offering support on weekends, either. My confidence is eroding.

2 Likes

I am also waiting for the firmware update and I was told everyone would get it by Friday. Here I am listening to my Roku Stick constantly doing a LPW every 10-20 seconds. No other app constantly buffers like the Tablo app on a Roku Stick. It even happens on my hardwired Roku 3, but not as often.

While there was one post about rolling the firmware out to everyone by Friday, @TabloSupport had a more recent post saying the rollout was still going on, meaning beyond Friday.

I don’t have it either, if that helps.

xxx cc xxx

1 Like

Yep, still waiting for mine, and my wife is getting pissed.
Never a good thing to over promise and under deliver, Tablo. If I did that in my business, I would lose clients left and right.

2 Likes

My update showed up Friday and I was able to update the software via Android app while out of town. Happy to report things appear the be working well and a bit snappier response on the Roku.

1 Like

Thread tl;dr.

While 2.2.8 is not the be-all end-all problem solver some were hoping for I can easily declare that this is an incremental improvement and the direction being taken seems to be working. Combined with the new Roku Tablo channel and 2.2.8 release things are much better than they were with 2.2.6 and the older Roku Tablo channel. Keep it up. I would expect further beta releases to focus upon the signal degradation and loading, please wait issues.

I hope that the end goal is for the Tablo to be as tolerant as my television is to drops in signal quality if not more so. The TV keeps plugging along if the signal gets a bit crappy. At some point the TV will drop the picture completely to a black screen while it waits for the signal interruption to subside and data to begin flowing at a level where even a broken up and crappy display is at least possible. I think an on-screen overlay of real-time signal quality should be displayed briefly when signal quality begins dropping or even on demand with the Ok button press. It already displays Channel, Call Sign, Time spent watching the live channel, and audio codec. Broadcast signal quality would be really darn helpful to include in that info box.

The LPW issue is partly psychological making users think the issue resides more with Tablo than with antenna, broadcast, or environment. If the screen went black with a "low signal quality’ message it would make people more aware that their setup is possibly needing some adjusting. Once the signal recovers to a level sufficient for transcoding the black screen can go away and the picture/show resumed. This would be a significant improvement over the current behavior of looping back to just replay the same crappy cutting out audio and blocky picture which becomes very irritating.

3 Likes

Still waiting here also. Please don’t claim “everyone should have it by Friday” when it’s clear that won’t happen.

1 Like

2.2.8. Is a huge improvement for me, effectively ending an 8 month period of unstable Roku playback along with fixes for missing recordings. My LPW issue is occasional, and happens on recorded files which have no signal strength or signal quality problems. The same files when played again on the same Roku will not exhibit LPWs in the same place nor will they show any LPWs on Nexus, iOS, or browser playback. This is a much needed and much appreciated fix for me, and I am sorry that some other users apparently are not getting as much benefit.

2 Likes

I have been checking everyday for the 2.2.8 update and it still has not arrived – 2 days past the last day of the rollout. In the meantime, 2.2.6 is increasing in its instability:

• Tablo seems to lock up every night, requiring a reboot
  • The guide is no longer updating on its own.
  • Manual updates of the guide (via Chrome browser) reach 100%, then say the guide was updated 3 days ago.
  • It takes an increasingly long time to “Connect” to the tablo from my Roku 3s or my Chrome browsers.
  • It takes an increasingly long time to “Sync” to the tablo from my Roku 3s or browsers.
  • Chrome browsers on different PCs display different recordings, including some which were deleted.
  • Load times are taking longer
  • Resuming playback after FF or RW is taking longer.

This company has been in business for 5 years and they still have not resolved these basic performance issues with the most common streaming box (Roku). No other service I use (Amazon, Netflix, VUDU) takes so long to connect, load, or resume playback. All those services stream from the internet through my home network. Why would the Tablo, which is on my home network, take so much longer for each of these functions?

As a systems engineer, none of this makes sense unless the Tablo systems design is fundamentally flawed. There seems to be a lot of finger pointing to Roku, routers, and users. It seems to me there is a general lack of systems engineering in the Tablo company.

Quite frankly, I have had enough! I ordered a Tivo Bolt and minis on Saturday when the 2.2.8 promise fell through. I just don’t think a tweak of the firmware here or a tweak of the Tablo channel there will fix these systems issues. I really did want my Tablo system to work, but I’m not seeing any light at the end of this dark tunnel.

Cheers to all of you who are sticking with this turkey. Good luck!

1 Like

So I decided, after another classless rant (“sticking with this turkey”), to take a look at the official Tivo forums. Page after page of problems! Go through each category and browse through just the first page. Problems and rants. What an effing myth that the Tivo solves all problems - just leave the Tablo behind and Nirvana…LOL

So now that you are getting your Tivo, spare us these long confessional epistles and just leave for your new baby. You have your new toy, go.

5 Likes

You know guys… They never said WHICH Friday! :wink:

1 Like

Your LPW behavior is quite a bit different than mine. Whenever it happens to me it’s a perfect picture with perfect audio (well, just as good as any other point of a Tablo stream in that show or any other), sometimes looping and other times a quick rewind a few seconds back. And now that I think about it, I don’t recall seeing anyone mention what they are seeing picture or audio-wise when the LPW occurs. I wonder if different things are causing it. My wifi or a signal issue or something else entirely not related to anything on my end but rather on Tablo’s end.

1 Like

It is Sunday night and no sign of an update. Would it not be easier to add a “check for update” in the system set-up portion of the Tablo rather than waiting weeks for the update?

2 Likes

I agree. I’m also still waiting.

And ya’ll will continue to wait until tomorrow or later. They’re not home on the weekend. It’s not an automatic thing. They release it incrementally so if there is a big problem, everybody doesn’t get it at once. The next release of MAC addresses will probably hit in the late AM, early PM. Patience.

1 Like

Hey folks - We’ll be releasing 2.2.8 to GA today which means if you don’t have access yet, you should shortly. Thanks for your patience.

2 Likes

Just got it, and Tablo is A LOT snappier! Just hope it helps with all the LPW’s…

2 Likes