NEW Maintenance Firmware Release - 2.2.8

Your constant attacks against anyone that doesn’t have your apparently flawless Tablo experience can get tiring. So yes, I’ll defend people when you are going after them. This is a support forum and a place to let Tablo know of issues. It’s also a place that people will come to rant if they get frustrated or don’t feel Tablo is listening. I actually feel Tablo has really stepped up the last few weeks and taken ownership of many issues that seemed to be mostly ignored before. Maybe it’s because enough people complained.

3 Likes

xxx ccc xxxxx

2 Likes

Doni, willharwell,
I had the same 60 seconds problem to start a recording since 2.2.6, and 2.2.8 didn’t correct the problem.
Last Thursday I have finally corrected the problem with a reboot of the router, tablo and Roku.
Last night I did a reboot of the Tablo since I had freezing and rebooting. The 60 second waiting came back. I had to do 5 reboots of the Tablo to correct the problem again. Now it is only taking around 2 seconds to start a program or restart after a fastfoward. But I still get the lpw on an average of 1 per hour.

1 Like

Just last night, I was watching a Channel through Plex on Roku… I paused the show so I could focus on something… and while it sat their paused, within about 30 seconds, I heard the audio “click” and Roku’s little “K” was tapping its foot… To the best of my knowledge, Tablo’s firmware isn’t able to affect Plex server on my laptop… So, it seems to me (as you have stated), that Tablo isn’t really “to blame” for the resets… as I also have experienced them with other apps… although not as frequently as I did with the recent 2.2.6… Other apps DO reset… I have experienced it in the past also with Netflix…

So, it does seem to me. logically, that this can be an issue at either end… Perhaps Roku needs to find a better way to verify packets, etc, to avoid this reboot issue… but, the app developers also need to ensure they are sending the cleanest and most organized packets they can…

Tablo has acknowledged that 2.2.6 has an issue with data “congestion”, which was leading to the reboots… So, both sides need to play nice, and improve their role in the process…

But I also wanted to acknowledge that “it isn’t just Tablo” that has the reboots on Roku…

2 Likes

Go buy a Nexus Player for $50, or an NVIDIA Shield, which is on sale right now for $150 with an extra $50 remote included for free. I have set up 4 of these things with Tablo, at 2 different homes, and they all work great on 10mbps quality.

Your Tablo experience will be flawless and you will be very pleased. It’s not worth banging your head against the wall trying to get Roku to play nice with Tablo.

3 Likes

Thanks Koss67 for that info about your experience fixing the long delay before starting a recorded show issue!
Well, I already had rebooted my TabloTV unit itself 1x but not 5x yet, LOL. (it was a soft reboot however)
I had rebooted the Roku3 a few times but not my router or 5 way switch yet.

I do think it is some type of timing issue where all the players on the home network have to be sending and receiving the video stream (packets etc…) at the same speed or whatever.

I will try and reboot everything on my network and see if that helps, Thanks for suggestion!
About rebooting the TabloTV itself 5x, wow… I don’t think I want to be having to do that every time we get a firmware update. BUT I can try it this one time.
Perhaps just unplugging the Tablo, and waiting before powering it back up might help, rather than a soft reboot using the blue button. Like the cable co. always makes people do, you know?

I’ll try anything at this point, waiting 60 seconds each time I f/f or r/w is real annoying at this point. I’d rather have the roku reboot once an hour than this personally.
Thanks
Doni

So, my Tablo finally found the update you sent last evening. Thanks!

I got it installed through my iPhone app… It downloaded, installed and rebooted smoothly with no issues.

Because you had mentioned that it could take up to 30 minutes for it to maintain the tables, I didn’t try to connect to it immediately through an app, even though the LED became solid very shortly after the reboot.

So, I watched about an hour of Netflix, and then went to check it out…

I have since watched about 4 shows, including one that properly recorded as scheduled this morning…

The first show I selected had some slow loads… which was initially discouraging… but as I watched, I also realized it must have recorded during bad weather… It had some pixilation and dropouts… when it got to the end, what was supposed to be a 30 minute show was really only 12 minutes of recording… So, the recording itself was suspect (and not Tablo’s fault)…

ALL of the shows I watched after that, however, gave me what I wanted: Much faster loads… more responsive, and faster returns to playback after FF… I have only seen one LPW, which lasted about 1 second, and caused it to repeat about 3 seconds of program before moving on smoothly… And NO Roku reboots…

Because everything else has been obviously improved, I think the problem with the first one was caused more by Bad weather, and the digital file was a little “off” because of signal dropout etc, which caused more “confusion” in sending the file to Roku… the rest were great…

SO… in conclusion… my initial observations, for my setup, is that 2.2.8 has solved my slow loads… The system is very fast and responsive through Roku and iOS apps… on both Roku 3 and Roku 4… and both rokus are OS 7…

I am going to watch for a few more days to verify all seems stable and well… and then, assuming it is, I will up Recording Quality to 1080 8Mbs (from the current recommended 720P 5Mbs), and see how that does… :smile:

If anything gets “wacky” from here, I will update…

THANKS @TabloSupport !

1 Like

One question maybe someone can answer about the video quality setting.

I have it on low 3Mbps 720P setting now thinking perhaps it would stream from the Tablo to the Roku faster BUT now I am thinking perhaps the trouble is in the actual transcoding going on inside the roku box or tablo?

For example, I have my ROKU set to 720P output and the TabloTV on 720P BUT is it possible the Tablo is actually recording shows to 1080P internally and re-transcoding them to whatever format is selected in the Chrome browser settings page?
I am just curious because it is so easy to change that setting however the shows are already recorded at some previous setting right (or internal default)? And then get transcoded on the devices chip in realtime?

That makes sense because if you chose 1080P recording on the Tablo and 720P on the ROKU it would instantly transcode the stream to 720P to the hdmi output to tv. So I am trying to figure out if all these bugs are somehow transcoding related issues slowing down the video streams between the 2 devices.
Thanks everyone
Doni

@getcashmoney Thanks for that suggestion on buying a NVidia shield at $149 (I already have one on order from gamestop.com let’s see if it ever ships) I’ve been trying to buy one!
Bestbuy was a madhouse and online wouldn’t complete the order for pickup because they were out of the free remotes, Microcenter was sold out of the 16gb units, so I am trying that.

I’d gladly pay $149 to get the Tablo working smoothly again like it was for almost a year when I first bought it.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I realized I was spending more time and money trying to get Tablo to work than it was worth before I switched.

If you dont want to wait for Gamestop, try ordering from Amazon today, and call for you refund of $50 when it goes on sale on Amazon on Monday. Thats what I did. Or you can wait until Monday to order. In addition, Newegg will have it on sale for $150 on Monday, and you may be able to avoid sales tax by ordering from them.

Just wondering what I have to do to get the update?? Thought all would be out by Friday evening.

1 Like

They Mentioned yesterday that they were still rolling things out and it would go past Friday. But, if you open a support ticket requesting it be sent, they will put you on the priority list and get yours sent out as early as they can… Just make sure if you do the support ticket, that you give them all the details of your Tablo, like serial number or MAC or whatever it is they request…

Oh Amazon and Newegg will both have the shield for $149 on cyber Monday, cool!
I might order another one and cancel the gamestop order if it don’t ship by then. Thanks

Gamestop showed it as being in stock and shipping within 24 hours when I ordered it at 3am on Friday morning and then sent me an e-mail at 5pm friday saying sorry but it will ship when they get more in (that messed me up!)
I would have been able to get one from Microcenter or Bestbuy early on friday if I wasn’t thinking Gamestop actually had what they said they had in stock. Oh well. Cyber Monday sounds like my next chance.
:smile:

1 Like

@douglans1 Same here. I’ve been away from home for several days but kept remotely accessing my Tablo to try and force the update. No joy. @TabloSupport Is this a general release or do we have to have a support ticket for the firmware update?

I did that several days ago and still no update.

You have no right to decide who can get assistance and who cannot just because you don’t think they have a legitimate claim. It’s not up to you. It’s up to Tablo to look into issues and help their customers.

xxx ccc xxxx

1 Like

This thread is like being in the room while a domestic is taking place…

2 Likes

Since Roku version 7 hit my boxes I have seen major issues, not just Tablo but Amazon and Netflix as well. The remote becomes unresponsive, video hangs, and sometimes reboot. Wish I could roll that back.

5 Likes

Great News Everyone!
I got 2.2.8 working back to the level (at least) I had before which was good for me.

I took the advise on here to reset and reboot everything starting with the router. Then my 2 switches and then plugged the TabloTV box back to power and finally plugged the ROKU3 back in.
The loading of a show is like 2-3 seconds now as opposed to about 45-60 before all the reboots after firmware update.

Another weird thing I noticed about the ROKU3 (after v7 update) is when you reboot it, the remote is no longer responsive at all (drives me nuts) until I open the remote battery cover, remove 1 battery and then connect it again.
This obviously resets something and allows the ROKU3 to work with the remote control again.
@@Jestep Try this and see if that helps you also with unresponsive remote!

Thanks everyone.
I am not going to jump the gun to blame Tablo firmware for causing problems in future, it’s more likely the firmware update and reboot cause networking timing issues that are corrected with a complete re-powering up of every device on the home Network.
Good Luck everyone, I hope this helps someone.
Doni