NEW Maintenance Firmware Release - 2.1.20

@7up, thanks for the suggestion to turn off fast start up. If the buffering gets worse I will try it. It’s only happening occasionally now and since it’s so short, it’s not bothering me much.

Also thought I would share that I primarily watch Tablo on a Roku 3 and Roku Streaming Stick and both are connected via WiFi.

With this update and the “Enable fast Live TV startup” checked my Roku 3 using WiFi is buffering less.  I did uncheck the fast live TV and it started buffering.

Thanks for the update.

Update went good here. 2tuner, mostly watch on roku3-wired. Live tv seams to be starting much quicker on my roku since the update. No buffering issues so far.

Glad to hear guys! We’re happy we were able to get this out before the holidays for everyone. 

I installed 2.1.20, deselected the "fast live TV startup"...and no buffering instances thus far. Looking good. Thanks! 

Just wanted to add that it’s been a few days now since I updated, and many hours of viewing on the 1080p setting…and I have yet to see a single buffering instance. So, it’s back to being rock-solid on my Roku 3’s. Sweet!

@DaFury

Is your Roku 3 wired or wireless?

@DaFury

Is your Roku 3 wired or wireless?

I have 3 of them.

-One is Wired Ethernet 
-One is Powerline Ethernet (600mbps class)
-One is 5Ghz wireless-N

All have been rock-solid since the update.

I hope you keep this post stickied at the top. I just got my Tablo dual tuner for Christmas. Last night, it was unwatchable on a Roku 2 (XS), and nearly so on a PC using the Chrome browser. I had to restart the browser about every 15 minutes. I was about ready to box it back up. This morning, after finding this post, I unchecked the “fast live TV startup” and all is well in the world. Everything looks really good on the Roku 2 (wireless), PC using Chrome, Moto G, Nexus 7 with Lollipop, and Chromecast (cast from Chrome browser). I get two buffer periods within the first minute of both live and recorded on the Roku, but then it can run at least 45 minutes with no problems.

I had some of the rolling captions, but I didn’t pay attention to what devices that was on, if it was live or recorded, etc. (I did some swapping of the Chromecast and Roku between different TV’s in the endless quest to please my wife.) I know that a recording played the CC fine on the Roku. I’ll go back and see if I can reduplicate the problems.

Now all we need is the casting support from the tablet and phone. Keep it up!

@PJ_

Using the Android tablet app you can cast to your Chromecast on the Nexus 7.

They are adding the casting feature to the web app for smartphones.

We’re getting real close on Chromecast for phones! Should be ready in the New Year.

@TabloSupport so I have been having network issues where my Cable Modem reboots and comes back up… Takes about 30 seconds or so.

So last night is the first time I have seen the split recording  on Jimmy Fallon. However, the network issues were outside that range. So I am not sure what happened to split the show.
@TabloSupport so I have been having network issues where my Cable Modem reboots and comes back up... Takes about 30 seconds or so.
So last night is the first time I have seen the split recording  on Jimmy Fallon. However, the network issues were outside that range. So I am not sure what happened to split the show.

Ok, so I went to the end of the first recording and it looks like there was a lot of signal loss… SO this is interesting, but good to know it picked back up when the signal was back up good. The second part was strong signal.

@TabloTV well, when I thought about it it was raining and the timing (because it woke me up) does correspond to the time of the issue. So that is my guess :wink:

Weird… Did you guys have a storm last night? Glad the Tablo worked as designed though!

2 Tuner Tablo here, upgrade went smooth. The only issue I had which doesn't seem to have changed is infrequent buffering for 1 second or less when watching Live TV (the duration is so short I almost don't have time to read the short message that flashes on the screen); when it happens, it doesn't occur when first tuning to a channel, it seems like it's after I've been watching for a while. Since the upgrade I haven't noticed any changes in behavior when watching Live TV or Recordings. I left the fast start up option checked.

Uncheck the fast start up box and your buffering issue will likely be resolved.

Late to the party as I just updated to 2.1.20 last night.  I was running 2.1.16 firmware and using the native app on FireTV.  Before updating to 2.1.20, everything is working smooth as silk.  After the update and with the Fast Live TV option enabled, the playback would stutter every 20 seconds on both Live TV and Recorded shows. 

I know the release note and Tablo support both claim this update has nothing to do with playback of recorded shows but sure enough, I disabled the Fast live TV option and everything is back to normal, playback return to smooth as silk.  So I hope Tablo figures out what is going on before their next release.

@lowbee the 2.1.20 release actually added the check box for Fast Live TV. The release prior to that but after 2.1.16 had Fast Live TV as the default with no way to disable it.

As you experienced some people had issue with the Fast Live TV feature while others did not. The compromise was to add a way to disable it. 

Technically… Roku says HLS streaming going to it needs to be fixed length sizes… I thought I read that somewhere.  If so, it could explain some problems people are seeing.

@lowbee the 2.1.10 release actually added the check box for Fast Live TV. The release prior to that but after 2.1.16 had Fast Live TV as the default with no way to disable it.

@roraniel you have a couple of typos in your post
1. I updated to 2.1.20 NOT 2.1.10
2. the release prior was 2.1.18 NOT 2.1.16 where Fast Live TV was not even a feature (default or not)
3. Fast Live TV feature started in 2.1.18 NOT 2.1.16

Yes I had 1 typo (2.1.10) (fixed).

I did say the release prior to that and AFTER 2.1.16 introduced Fast Live TV.