NEW - Introducing the new 4th generation Tablo device & app experience!

I’m digging the new UI, especially the home screen.

After a quick review of limitations with the new firmware/UI, seems like all I would lose as a non-commercial skip user upgrading my OG 4-tuner is Tablo Connect and I could easily work within that limitation and allow external access for the very rare scenarios in which I need it by simply VPNing in to my network.

1 Like

If they implemented the long promised native downloads to apps, That could potentially be a viable workaround for lack of Tablo Connect

1 Like

Are they planning on a 4 tuner model? If not, I will stay with my legacy 4 tuner until they come out with the ATSC 3.0 model.

2 Likes

I’m pretty underwhelmed by this announcement. Without an ongoing guide data subscription, I think they are going to push hard on advertising. I’m sure I’m not alone in that I bought in on Tablo to avoid ads as much as possible. I sorely hope the “FAST” channel lineup is completely optional. I don’t watch those type of channels on my smart TV, I won’t watch them here, especially since the commercials will be unskippable.

Perhaps Tablo will decide to backport some of the quality of life improvements to the old firmware, but I doubt it. If they don’t, I think I’m ready to move on to another platform. We’ve been begging for the smallest things, like auto-recording specific sports teams, faster guide syncing, and even a better signal quality meter for years. If we have to give up commercial skip and accept more ads to get it, well that’s a non-starter.

You have a channel guide just like always. So you can choose not to add any FAST channels to your guide.

There are no ads either.

This device is really made for brand new Tablo users or someone that wants an additional Tablo.

1 Like

Could you make a canadian equivalent without the streaming channels

3 Likes

Interesting announcement. This looks like a great device for someone new to cord cutting.
Cheap with lots of functions.

I have lifetime guide subscription on an original 4 tuner network connected Tablo. So no real excitement to move to new firmware unless it really is a better experience.
I wonder if the push to new firmware is a way to get anyone using the remote streaming feature to drop that feature so it is easier to move to ATSC3.0 tuners in the future? Isn’t one of the issues with ATSC3.0 the fact they won’t be able to stream remote because of the possible encryption? Or did that ATSC3.0 issue apply to any network connected device even for local in home streaming?

2 Likes

I don’t think you can say that definitively. Time will tell I suppose, but if they aren’t charging for guide data, they need to be making ongoing revenue somehow. No way they are paying the bills just on $99 hardware.

The add said no. And if you have an older tablo it will be compatible with the new services but it also said if you upgrade the firmware that you will loose that feature on your older tablo. So you need to decide if you want the extra streaming channels or the ability to stream outside from your home before you update the firmware on your older device.

Please let me know when you have a new 4-tuner model. Not interested in anything with less than 4 tuners. Love my Tablo.

3 Likes

But, download is one thing, remote Live TV is another.

1 Like

I wonder if we legacy users can have both our older legacy device AND the new 4th Gen one on the same network? I might be interested in that.

6 Likes

Absolutely you can have both on the same network. But make sure you name them clearly so you don’t use the new app with the old Tablo and vice versa.

2 Likes

You have to ask yourself if this will be good for the future of Tablo. Why would a company sell a $100 box with NO recurring subscription revenue, plus add “free” streaming channels that can be recorded.

Scripps paid millions for Tablo’s parent company. Scripps exists on a advertising revenue from their TV stations, TV networks, newspapers, etc.

Many of the “free” streaming networks in the new Tablo are owned by…you guessed it…Scripps. Your viewing data (and perhaps there will be an opt-out) will be owned by …you guessed it again.

As a Tablo quad user for over 5 years, I’m sad to see them go this way. Super sad to see the Tablo Connect out of home viewing going away. Sad to see it all.

4 Likes

At least for now, the “old firmware” will continue to “work”. So for OG/Network Tablos, just don’t accept the new firmware and you should be “ok” (for now).

We’ll have to see if existing features are somehow added into the newer firmwares.

1 Like

I’m also wondering if there will be any hardware improvements in gen 4? The legacy boxes create a fair amount of heat, and the new model looks fairly compact and without much in the way of heat sink.

Will they be able to generate thumbnails during recording? Will the Android Mobile app actually have a proper update and no more database sync?

I am curious about what will happen with ads, since the one time hardware revenue doesn’t exactly seem sustainable. Either way, it is nice to see some movement since it has been pretty quiet for a while from Tablo HQ.

Ordering RIGHT NOW!

I’ve been away from Tablo for a few years, due to the fact my Tablo petered out on me & could not revive (been using HDHom). Coming back to Tablo the INSTANT this arrives. Great work you guys!

I have multiple tablos what might be nice is if the tablo client apps were actually seperate so that one tablo could be upgraded to the new firmware and the new app co-exist with the old legacy app on the client. I wouldn’t want to have to switch all tablos to a terrible experience…

It’s not like tablo hasn’t made client app redesigns that are really crappy.

1 Like

Hopefully a 4 tuner unit is in the works, 2 tuners won’t be enough (for me anyway).

4 Likes

They are. For instance, I have two Tablo apps on my Roku, two on my iPad, and two on my Android phone.

Now the trick will be will the developers update the legacy apps as well as the new apps. I would hope so, since there are a lot more legacy devices right now.