NEW Firmware Release - 2.2.14

I had one sub-channel that waek signal would always happen on and once it occurred it spread to the other channels on that frequency. It would eventually cause the tablo to reboot.

This is what support had me do to fix the problem:

• Head to Settings > Guide > Edit Channel Lineup
  • Uncheck channel 10-2
  • Click Add to Guide
  • Enter the “Edit Channel Lineup” once more
  • Re-scan
  • Check channel 10-2
  • Click “Add to Guide”

Not saying it WASN’T the firmware. I would definitely try clearing them and re-adding them as zippy instructed above, and if that doesn’t work, I WOULD be curious to see what happens when you revert back to a previous version…

But, for me, I have to re-align my antennas a couple times a year as the seasons change.

I too am having a few with weak signal now, and it did start about the same time as the new firmware BUT as this is the same time of year I always have to realign, for me at least, I am sure its the season change causing my problem.

Yes, I have rescanned a few times. Strangely one rescan will end up eliminating several channels, but then if I rescan again, almost immediately, all/some will come back.

Also, with 2.2.13, I was noticing some occasional skips or screen freezes, but very minor in comparison to what I have had since moving to 2.2.14. I agree, it seems strange that the problem is much more elevated now. I never once totally lost a recording under 2.2.13, but have lost several since 2.2.14. I must add, they are not all lost on the same channel either.

I haven’t checked with the antenna directly connected to the TV, yet, but might do that later.

@zippy I might try this. Thanks for providing the steps!

@Daniel454 It is possible that this is simply a coincidence and it is just a signal issue and needs a realignment. However, I have never had an issue with signal strength since I moved here this same time last year. I have never had to make any changes to the antenna position.

However, anything is possible. There is definitely something bad going on.

Thanks,
Scott

I have witnessed the same thing with 2.2.14. Keeps freezing even within recorded play back and live tv. I am considering rolling back to my previous (2.2.10)

When you say freezing, is it just the screen that is freezing, but the sound continues just fine? That is what I am seeing quite frequently. Additionally I am missing many recordings.

No, when i say freezing…the video and audio freeze and a little spinning circle appears for about 15 seconds then the video and audio unfreezes and then that whole process can repeat every minute or so (times are not periodic on the minute…sometimes it can go several minutes before freezing again and other time it could be as low as evey 20 seconds). Never had any streaming issues with 2.2.10. Definitely seems like signal processing has changed either on the server side (tablo device) or at the client side (LG TV app).

Performing a channel scan where the results have missing or underpowered channels is nothing new or unique to 2.2.14.

This goes back over 2 years. I have two tablos and you can perform a scan on both of them at the same time and get different results. Back to back scans can also results in different results.

@Zippy But I have not had any problems in my almost two years of owning this Tablo, until about a week ago. That is very coincidently the time when I did the 2.2.14 upgrade. Now it seems extremely flakey.

I have a couple of channels that now will work perfect one part of the day and then later it suddenly will report the channel no longer exists. I go in and do a re-scan and those channels will show 5 green dots, just like the others I have programmed. So why is it saying they no longer exist? Then I can exit and suddenly it is working again.

This is just totally unstable and mostly unusable as those channels doing this are ones we watch frequently. Ughhhh…

Also, not real happy with the response I got from support; simply telling me how to revert back to 2.2.13 only, and not suggesting any other possible remedies. I know I asked how to revert back, but you would think they would first try and help resolve the problem.

I don’t know. Mine was a sub-channel that existed between the main channel and another higher sub-channel. It seemed to work on 2.2.12

But I did notice that for the offending channel, in the Live TV grid, the PSIP channel identification seemed to at times morph into the higher channel ID.

That is the thing. These are all 5 green dot channels that will just all of a sudden I will a weak signal error or channel no longer exists. I go back into the channel lineup and they are still there, and still at 5 green dots.

I have now followed your suggestion and removed the channel from the guide, saved, gone back in and rescanned (this stinks as it always then adds undesirable channels as checked). I make sure the problem channels, still 5 green dots, are checked and add to the guide. Then later in the day the channel suddenly does the same thing all over again.

I have reverted back to 2.2.13, as of about 20 minutes ago. I guess I’ll see if the problem persists, or goes away.

Never trust the dots…

Did this firmware do something so recording is better? I was having lots of issues record shows on CW such as Flash and Arrow. They would be broken up etc… and since this firmware went in the shows are recording clear. Was this just bum luck or was there a fix?

I think luck, likely related to improvement in your OTA signal strength / quality.

@Lothos No changes here, I think just a fortunate coincidence :slight_smile:
@TabloScott How’re things looking on your end?

@TabloSupport I changed my antenna from a Mohu Leaf 30 to a Mohu Leaf 50 this past Sunday. It does seem, so far anyway, to be a bit better. I guess we’ll see if the problem is resolved. It is odd that I have never had a signal strength issue for primary channels since I have lived here, until about two weeks ago.

1 Like

Wouldn’t this possibly have fixed it in this firmware update.

• Improvements to transcoding engine firmware

I still have not received the update. Currently on 2.2.13.

What kind of antenna are you using? Wondering how upgrade could affect tuner capability.

@jerryg1 I was using a Mohu Leaf 30. Last weekend I upgraded to Mohu Leaf 50 and it seems to have resolved my signal issue. This is a bit disconcerting, however, as I had absolutely no issues with channel signal strength for a year prior. After upgrading to 2.2.14 I suddenly had problems. Maybe a coincidence and there would have been problems without the upgrade, I don’t know. Anyway, so far so good after the antenna upgrade.

Its strange, and yet there have been similar complaints with the upgrade which does suggest a signal strength issue as in your case.
I’m going to pass on .14 til I hear further on this. Thanks.