NEW Firmware Release - 2.1.30

Wow, you really don’t know anything about Tivo. Tivo uses client boxes called Tivo Mini to create a whole-home DVR, which can service 3 TVs simultaneously, just like your doing - One Tivo OTA and two Tivo Mini’s (instead of one Tablo TV, plus 3 Rokus). The price for a Tivo Mini is $149, the price for a Roku 3 is $99. The price for a Tivo OTA with lifetime service is currently the same $300 that JUST THE TABLO TV HARDWARE COSTS. So essentially, for $300 you can buy either a 4 Tuner Tivo, with Lifetime service for FREE, or a TabloTV with no service included at all.
I own a Tablo 4-Tuner with lifetime, and am mostly happy with it, but get your facts straight before putting down other valid competing products. For Tablo with Rokus for 3 TVs plus harddrive and lifetime subscription, I paid more than the current Tivo offering costs - by quite a lot.

1 Like

You are forgetting the cost of the first client and hard drive with tabloTV. Tablo is effectively $600 for one TV with lifetime and 99 for each additional TV ( roku3 - yes there are cheaper options but being realistic here) TiVo Ota is $299 first TV and $149 each additional. So TiVo is hundreds cheaper. Honestly I am switching from tablo to TiVo for the quality not the savings.

I have never been impressed with the small garbage hard drives they shove into TiVo’s. Think you’ll be lucky if it survives 36 months. The best selling point of the Tablo IMO is the separate replaceable drive. The TiVo subscription dies if the device dies. Is the hard drive or power supply user replaceable? Are the TiVo Mini’s good for anything besides a TiVo stream? What does the TiVo stream out side your home? Fine print is ambiguous with zero guarantees: “Out-of-home streaming supports streaming to only one of your devices at a time. Not all recorded content can be streamed or downloaded to a mobile device (due to copy protection assigned by content provider and/or other technical limitations). Some recorded content can only be streamed/downloaded to your mobile device while you are on the same local network as your TiVo Stream or TiVo Roamio Plus/Roamio Pro DVR (as applicable). Out-of-home streaming/downloading may not be available for all recorded content.”

What the hell is “other technical limitations” My BS radar is telling me to stay away.

TiVo has as much fine print as Cable/Satellite providers. Cutting the cord IMO also requires a reduction in fine print and confusion.

Back on topic, 4 & 2 tuner updated flawlessly. One updated remotely one locally. Zero hiccups. Exclusive Chromecast streaming a dozen programs thus far, works fine. Android web app is a little unstable as usual with Chromecast streaming but I think I narrowed down a usage pattern to stabilize it. Keep up the great work @TabloSupport !

If anyone doesn’t want their 4 tunner, put it up on eBay for an fair used price and I’ll buy it. Let me know.

Forum members, please refrain from TiVo talk in this thread. There is a separate thread discussing this exact comparison.

This thread is about the new firmware release and issues with that.

@TabloTV

Can I “move” posts from this thread that are unrelated to the topic at hand?

It is one screw to open the TiVo Ota box and 7 screws and one connector to replace the hard drive with any desktop drive upto 3tb. Once you install the replacement drive the box automatically formats the new disk and your up and running. As far as the power supply it is an external brick like the one on the tablo so it is equally replaceable. You guys really need to do your research before you comment on something you clearly know nothing about.

I was a happy user for months and through various firmware upgrades until yesterday morning. I got the notice for the upgrade, then waited at 0% forever, as has been reported here. Tried tapping the reset. Nothing. Long hold on reset. Nothing. Unplugging the unit for hours then plugging back in. Nothing. With all these actions, it quickly goes to fast blue flashing and none of my devices can connect. I suppose it’s too much to hope that any of my data or programs are still there, but is there any way to just do a factory reset (other than the long hold on the reset, which does nothing) and start from scratch? I’m thinking the upgrade just fried my unit.

@Sleeper

You really need to read my post above before you comment on something you clearly know is off topic.

I have tried it on my Roku 3 and it works excellent. I have not tried .30 on the Roku LT, but I did use the .29 on the LT and it worked. My Roku 3 has a sd card in it and a USB, but I don’t think either is being used.

I’m wondering if what you & @zippy are seeing is a result of most of the ‘fall start’ shows being over for the season? If there are no episodes airing in the next 2 weeks you won’t see them in the scheduled tab.

Let’s just try to keep content in relevant threads moving forward. Deal? Deal. :slight_smile:

I don’t think so. For instance, “Modern Family” was scheduled to record a new episode on 5-6-2015 and after the firmware update it was no longer scheduled to record and no episode was recorded. When I check Wikipedia, I see that “Modern Family” did indeed air a new episode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Modern_Family_episodes).

1 Like

I’m wondering if what you & @zippy are seeing is a result of most of the ‘fall start’ shows being over for the season? If there are no episodes airing in the next 2 weeks you won’t see them in the scheduled tab.

I had all recordings that were scheduled individually (Not ones that were set to either record all, or record new) become unscheduled as well.

Just to be clear, my issue differs slightly from @zippy. Most of my scheduled recordings, including “Modern Family” and “Criminal Minds” (shows that aired on 5-6-2015 but were not recorded), are no longer appearing on the “scheduled” menu until I reschedule them.

OK - thanks for the feedback @philsoft & @jrecords. We’ll take a closer look at this.

We may need to log in to your Tablos to look at what happened.

My S/N is 5087B800456F

I will have to get back to you with my S/N.

I haven’t seen anyone else mention this but here is my issue after firmware update. My Tablo, 4 tuner, is wired. I have two Roku 3s - one wired and one wireless. I have a variety of wireless devices - laptop, iPhone, iPad. My setup has been working flawlessly until last night when I updated my firmware. Now the wireless Roku is experiencing a constant buffering loop on every channel of Live TV, in both the old Roku channel and the new preview channel. The wired Roku is still working without issue - no buffering at all. My laptop (wireless) is working without buffering as well. iPhone and iPad seem to be a mixed bag with buffering sometimes and sometimes not. I have taken all of the usual troubleshooting measures - rebooting wireless router, cable modem, Roku, etc…

I have already filed a support ticket for this but just wanted to put it here to see if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

Only the record new shows remained scheduled. The individual shows that I manually scheduled via the TV schedule menu disappeared. So I rescheduled them. I think last night at least one that I rescheduled recorded. The tablo tried to record the show twice with one of the failing

Did you try to swap the two roku boxes, to see if problem is related to the wireless or the actual roku box.

Hey folks,

A few different things being reported here - we’d like to get as much data on this as we can ASAP. If you’re having any issues you believe to be the result of of the .30 firmware (or even if it’s unrelated) please send us a ticket.

We’ve got a few ways to help troubleshoot, and a remote session isn’t always necessary to investigate this. The key is to provide your Tablo’s MAC address when you submit the ticket.

1 Like