My TabloTV Coax connector is broken!

Today I wanted to move the Tablo into another room.  When I went to disconnect the coax from the back I was unscrewing the connection and I realized it kept turning but wasn’t coming off. I realized that the connector in the back of the Tablo was spinning freely and I guess it has broken loose inside.

I reconnected it and now I’m getting NO signal at all.  I don’t know how this happened but now I don’t know what to do.  

Any ideas?  I can’t contact Tablo support until Monday.

This is the first I have heard of the connector breaking off. Go ahead and send support and email so they will see it first thing Monday.

They will most likely have to ship you a replacement. I can’t think of any easy fix for this.

This is the first I have heard of the connector breaking off. Go ahead and send support and email so they will see it first thing Monday.

They will most likely have to ship you a replacement. I can’t think of any easy fix for this.

It’s not actually broken off. The threaded stud that you screw the coax onto just rotates freely inside the box.

I talked to Tablo support this morning.  They are investigating my device logs and hopefully will let me know something today.
I sure hope it’s covered under warranty.  Or can at least be repaired for a small fee.

I had been having intermittent signal problems for a few weeks and now I’m wondering if the connector was loose all along and that was causing the issue.

Warranty is for a full year, so you are good if it has to be replaced.

One of the best aspects of the Tablo company is that they DO support what they sell and DO work with customers. 

IMO - It’s easier to be forgiving in other areas if support is so good. 
A great product with poor support still stinks as a product. 
A great or even “good” product with great support is superior. 
It's not actually broken off. The threaded stud that you screw the coax onto just rotates freely inside the box.

I had a new unit from eBay that had this issue. The unit was discoverable on my network, but would scan zero channels. Thankfully was able to return it, then ended up buying from Amazon instead (peace of mind).

So far I have been blown away with Tablo’s support with other issues (shows not recording, etc.).  They seem to be very willing to help in any way possible so I have high hopes they will take care of this promptly.

I’m just kind of panicking because I don’t have any way to record shows right now.

We’ve got your ticket @NapMan! We’ll get you sorted out.

I just got the e-mail telling me a replacement will be shipped out today.
You guys continue to impress me with your level of service!

@NapMan - Glad we were able to get this sorted out for you. :) 

While we worked hard to make Tablo’s hardware as bulletproof as possible, things like this can happen. And when they do (under warranty) we’ll always stand behind the product. 

I just wanted to post an update.  I received my replacement Tablo last night (the shipment got delayed because of weather).
David with Tablo sent me detailed instructions on how to get all my scheduled recordings transferred to the new unit and it worked flawlessly.

Within about a half hour I had a new Tablo set up exactly like my old one and it is working great!

I could not be happier with the folks at Tablo! 

2 Likes

Great update.

Glad everything is back to normal @NapMan

I just have the same issue, And of course can’t get tech support till monday!

I just had this issue as well a couple of weeks ago. Went to move my Tablo for the first time, and couldn’t disconnect the coax because the fitting on the Tablo was just spinning in its housing.
@TabloSupport was EXCELLENT in RMA’ing a new one to me right away.

If you touch the RF connector when the Tablo has 4 tuners working, it gets quite hot…I think it may be weakening the soldered connection of the male barrel fitting to its housing, causing it to break when you try to remove coax after a bit of use. Mine was hand-tightened once, and then was broken when I went to remove the coax 9 months later.

how long did it take to get your replacement, did you have to mail the old one back?

New one was shipped USPS Priority from NY (if you live in the states) and received in less than a week from opening a ticket, and yes, they want the defective unit returned to them, but paid for shipping via providing their FedEx account number.
Very pleasant and professional in my experience.
BTW, my Tablo with the loose coax terminal still worked perfectly, was just hard to install or remove the coax cable, as I had to use needle nose pliers to hold the base of the barrel to prevent it from spinning while turning the coax cable connector on or off.

Good to hear, I figured they’d want the old one back, just didn’t know how it would work. My coax connector must have totally lost connection but I stripped my cable back so the copper is long and put it in there and it works at least temporarily but Ill take it. This stuff always happens on the weekend! Thanks for your help.

Same problem. opened support ticket.
I didn’t use this much since I’m far from a city. Added a booster, but had trouble with the coax connection spinning in the device. Not sure if the booster will help.

Mike