Low Signal Error Then Spontaneous Reboot

So, just a thought here on this…

Are the folks having the issues using an HD that is powered by the USB cable or using an external power supply for the HD? I am wondering if there could be something here with the HD now needing to more power from the USB port and causing the device to reset. I have seen this with older computers where a USB drive pulls too much power from the USB bus and causes the system to behave badly.

Personally I’m using a USB powered HD.
A Western Digital Elements 25A2 1004 (2000 GB)

In my case both…

The one in my home is externally powered, it was the first to exhibit the issue. The one for my parents is USB powered.

Need a larger sample size though, as said above, mine stopped having the issue on their own.

Oh, it just hit me, for both of them I have been using the second USB port to power the antenna amp… AND about the time my parents unit STOPPED having this issue, is when I disconnected the amp from USB and powered it by its own brick…

Still doesn’t explain why mine had the issue at first but then stopped, no changes on mine, Externally powered HDD, second USB powering a small antenna amp.

I am using the often recommend “WD Elements 1TB External USB 3020” which is USB powered. I have not noticed a reboot for a couple weeks, but with most shows on summer vacation I also have not been watching as much on the Tablo.

I’m using Seagate 2TB Backup Plus Slim (STDR2000100) which is powered by USB.

I have an Apple TV. I thought Apple TV support is only in 2.2.10?

My drive is external powered.

I am using a USB powered drive. Seagate BUP Slim BK A905 (2000 GB). No problems with 2.2.8 but rebooting issues with 2.2.10.

I didn’t know you could do that. I didn’t have a problem with 2.2.8 so I think I’ll ask for that when they get back to me.

Yes you can do that but you won’t be able to use the Apple TV app I believe but if your not concerned with that definitely an option.

I have a Roku so no problem with rolling back.

We’ve made a post on this in the past: Live TV stops - Back to guide - Reboots when try to go back to chl

This still stands - there were no changes in 2.2.10 that affect power to the HD, or changes at the firmware level that would induce this kind of of behaviour at an accelerated rate.

Mentioned in the post above, we have the tools to discern between hardware defects and USB disconnects - even if we’ve looked at your unit before, we can always look again if you like.

We’re also fine with downgrading your firmware to 2.2.8 if you’d like to try this. Of course, we don’t recommend this. 2.2.10 solved a number of bugs in the previous release, not to mention some of the features and platform support it added (Recent Recordings, Apple TV).

I submitted a ticket. So, if it’s determined it’s the HD/USB connection, does that mean that the USB ports are going bad on the Tablos or people’s HD’s are going bad (or is it just an un-found bug in the latest firmware)?

Going to try a different HD tonight.

I’m wondering if it would make a difference were people with this problem to change from the USB port being used to the other one if a USB port was going bad? I had a situation awhile ago on a PC in which one USB port became unresponsive but I could still use the other two. Similarly a friend’s TV first HDMI port went bad and he had to use the second one.

I have 2 tablos and both started demonstrating the Live TV problem at the same time. So the USB and HD on both servers went bad at the same time? And the problem mysteriously disappeared after I stopped using Live TV. And both units continue to record and play OTA programs with no problems.

I guess I’ll continue on fat, dumb, and happy without Live TV. At least through the Olympics.

I tend to agree with you and I’m not sure I like the “kool-aid” being pushed by support. I am sorry but I just don’t buy it. It seems too similar to what I deal with at work where the developers upgrade their application and push it to a production server. Then all of a sudden we start having stability issues with the system. Development investigates and they blame the network, the database, the database server, anything but the only thing that changed. We revert the server to a backup and wow, everything works fine again and all the stability issues disappear. Something is rotten in Denmark (I think that’s the expression).

Support completely replaced my Tablo and it did not resolve the issue. I was one of the first reporting it since I saw it in the beta for 2.2.10.

Another bit of info, I have not seen a reboot since I got the 2.2.11 beta. Don’t know yet if that resolved it since the reboot are not all that frequent.

Something is rotten in Denmark? The Danes seem to be the happiest people in the world. Almost every year they come in #1 in the polls for the most satisfied people. Why not “Something is rotten in America?”

LOL, Yeah or Rotten in Canada, eh…

Canada? Oh dear…:astonished:

Just happened again… The bedroom Apple TV was playing a recording while the living room Apple TV was on live. The live TV kicked me back to the guide and I tried choosing a different channel and the “Weak Signal” popped up… A few seconds later Tablo rebooted. The bedroom Apple TV was still playing the recording for another 15-20 seconds before getting the disconnected message.

I’m curious to see if those on 2.2.8 or 2.2.11 beta continue to receive this error. Maybe report back every few days to see?