Looking for Answers

To clarify some #FakeNews:

Loosing power - or even power cycling your device to restart it with or with out drive attached will not negate you from re-connecting the drive later. This is unfounded. There are many post recommending power-cycling -loosing power- as trouble shooting. There are also post suggesting disconnect the drive, as trouble shooting and watch live TV… the reconnecting the drive - issue free.

Tablo formats as ext4 - used on many Linux based systems. The drive does not become useless. There are posts of user cloning/coping and even recovering shows with the drive connected to a PC.

grave misunderstanding! If your drive dies, you can always use a new one! If you want to use a bigger one - there is no official path, but many step by step posting how to copy/move/clone your old drive to your new drive.

Drive prices has became so much more affordable for terabytes of space compared to 20yrs ago… this really shouldn’t be a concern. Tablo is a modern DVR meant to be used with modern larger affordable drives by users in the modern age.

This is technically possible. One user claims to do it. Using the Moving your recordings to a new Tablo – Tablo technique you can accomplish the “swap”. It’s not suggest, recommend nor even what the procedure is for… but does work.

As noted, searching you can easily find these are believes and not necessarily accurate accounts.
:repeat: bla bla bla :repeat:

This is technically possible. One user claims to do it. Using the Moving your recordings to a new Tablo – Tablo technique you can accomplish the “swap”. It’s not suggest, recommend nor even what the procedure is for… but does work.

I have read this, can you clarify something please?
It says in the beginning you can’t use the cloud or built in storage for this to work. Then later in the steps, it says if you are using a SATA drive you have to remove the power adaptor from Tablo before removing the SATA drive. Isn’t a SATA drive built in storage?

For clarification (as information you’ll read from Tablo can and will be confusing)…
Moving recordings to a NEW Tablo is possible (I’ve done it). However, you would need to follow the instructions very carefully.
This is unrelated to “swapping” drives (so that you can simply replace the previous drive and still preserve your previous recordings, which you CANNOT do).
Additionally, in the instructions, it specifies that it will take “a few minutes”. That’s totally false (another fact)! Perhaps if you have two shows recorded on that drive (or it’s a 120 GB drive)!
It has (literally) taken hours to move data to the new Tablo!! I feel sorry for the users that base the time frame of this process on Tablo’s misleading instructions!
Especially if they’re doing it for the first time!
…and especially if it’s after 5:30 PM* (or even earlier depending upon where you’re located) or over the weekend…since you’ll be left wondering (hmmm, they said that it would take a few minutes but it’s taking forever!..what do I do now??).
BTW, on several occasions, I urged them to change the verbiage. They acknowledged it but in true form, left it as is. The disconnect prevails!
Take advice from the end users?
What do we know??
*and it better be earlier, since if you’re left in the que at 5:30 PM, they’ll hang up on you!

Debunking ALL of your contradictions/distractions…
I never stated that disconnecting the drive would either cause corruptions or a loss of data!
I stated exactly the opposite (and you even quoted what I stated)!
Also, why would you need to disconnect the drive to watch live TV?
As I stated in my OP, generally speaking, you’d have no reason to disconnect the drive.
In fact, doing so could potentially present risks.

While attaching the drive to a computer (for the purpose of offloading data) may be possible, it’s still a risky proposition and could potentially cause errors which could potentially render it useless again as a Tablo drive.
Again, focus on potentially, as this may not occur.
If you’ve replaced that drive on your Tablo (in the event of a drive failure, not for convenience purposes), then you obviously have no other alternative but to attempt to recover the data on a computer. What you do with that drive at that point wouldn’t be much of an issue, since it won’t be able to function as a Tablo drive.

Wrong!..a completely misleading response (relative to what I was stating in my OP)!!
Once you’ve replaced the preexisting drive on the same Tablo unit, the original drive is toast!..since, if you were to reconnect the previous drive, it will automatically be reformatted on that same Tablo unit (and there’s no control over that)!
That’s the crux of my entire argument!
Perhaps you should read my (facts) carefully!
Again……“swapping” drives and needing to migrate a drive to a NEW Tablo are two entirely different things!

Please explain what the cost of drives today has to do with having the ability to swap drives on the same Tablo unit?? I’ll save you the trouble, as the answer is……nothing!
That’s irrelevant and just (yet another) method of distraction!

Here we go again!..Swapping drives on the SAME Tablo isn’t possible (as your previous drive will be rendered useless on that SAME Tablo and/or a DIFFERENT Tablo)!
It’s NOT the same as migrating your previous drive to a NEW Tablo!
Therefore, it is NOT “technically possible” and it does NOT “work”!

These are NOT simply “beliefs”, these are FACTS (aka, accurate accounts)……and are based upon my own personal experience and others that are left scratching their heads as to how this product could have (and has maintained for so many years) such a design flaw!
Your distractions have officially been debunked!

Instead of writing these huge posts that are all basically the same issue, couldn’t you just make a statement such as:

1. you can move a hdd containing recordings to a new tablo.

2. this is not a library media server that supports hot swappable hdd’s.

3. This is not replayTV DVR or DVR+ (and hopefully never will be).

4. if you want #2 check out Plex since it might work for you.

No, not really, as I don’t practice the art of constantly defending and/or making excuses for a poor design (with no intentions of resolving it) and the art of intentionally distracting people here!
I’ll go with the FACT that all of your above distractions could easily have been avoided if they put greater thinking and effort into the design originally or at least were willing to invest in making it a better product (not just a decent product) and/or if the end users had any influence here…which they obviously don’t!

So if tablo’s response we’ll do it but each unit will need an additional 25% ram and thus cost $10-$15 more. And to cover R&D costs this will only work with a subscription. And oh by the way the subscription fee will go up 15%.

How many users would care about your definition of “design flaw”?

1 Like

So (based upon your theory/assumptions) they actually didn’t get it right originally and now it’s on the backs of the subscribers, right??
Tell you what, I’ll take the bait.
Charge me $2 more a month for this option, instead of paying for the ongoing beta version of commercial skip (which almost never works well!)…-and- perhaps add a one touch record option (actually on the TV screen) -and- faster access to the guide listings (that can be excruciatingly slow!)…and there’s more…
Wow!..improving on an (originally flawed) product design vs. telling their customers to find another product…(or basically to “go fly a kite”)
…what a concept!!

It unrelated to unsupported drive swapping, yet taking a drive from tablo1 and connecting it to a freshly factoyreset tablo2, following along starting it reads the backup dB becomes tabol1 with all recordings intact!. Reseting it and putting its drive back it becomes tablo2 - drive swapping – absolutely not recomended!!!

Your verbiage is confusing!
The bottom line is that you’re able to migrate a preexisting drive to a new Tablo unit.
That’s been established in many posts (and I’ve done it successfully). No argument there (except for the fact that it doesn’t take a few minutes (as the information from Tablo indicates)!
Perhaps a few hours is a more accurate assessment!
What you’re unable to do is disconnect a full Tablo drive (which can easily occur eventually), connect a new drive and then (eventually) expect to be able to reattach your previous drive (full of recordings from that exact same Tablo) and watch those recordings (on the very same Tablo that recorded them)! Is that abundantly clear?
Once you’ve attached a new drive, the original drive is rendered useless on that same Tablo.
Should you need to invest in another Tablo (a “matched pair” of sorts), to simply be able to watch those recordings again (without some convoluted “work-around” method on a computer)??
Tell me that this nonsense is perfectly fine!..and how dare I complain about it!

1. you can move a hdd containing recordings to a new tablo

can’t you reset your table to make it like new? In the instructions somebody posted it says…

Note : For this process to work, your NEW Tablo must be taken directly out of the box. If you’ve already run a channel scan on your new Tablo, you will need to factory reset it for these instructions to work.

It put a different drive on new, and start using it or a “tablo drive”, then the original and use it just like you never took it off.

I’ve done it, but I’m not a fussy troll say’n :repeat:

Someone has a strange sense of how costs of R&D works. If all the features that someone wants were coded into the original release all theose costs would have been added to the original product costs.

It’s not free and all the original users would have been paying for ReplayTV and DVR+ features even if they only want the original features.

People who want a library system might want to go with anothert product like Plex. But I’ve seen lot of other user suggested features that might be nice.

djk44883

It put a different drive on new, and start using it or a “tablo drive”, then the original and use it just like you never took it off.

I’ve done it, but I’m not a fussy troll say’n

Have no idea what you just said??

never mind

Officially, yes. But if you factory reset your tablo, reconnect the drive - it restores the dB and picks up like it was never removed.

You first have to make sure you “shut” things down via instructions to save the backup dB.

You can keep repeating it… but it doesn’t make it true. It’s been discussed, it’s been explained to you in the past… but you insist blah blah blah :repeat:

1 Like

Some may want it to be an officially supported/documented feature ready for enhancements.

But with all the various rippers and 8TB drives is it worth the investment versus tablo providing an officially supported ripper. This would allow each individual user to select their own library/media server. Plus for those users the actual tablo HDD could be much smaller.

I believe “built in storage” is often referred to on board storage. Tablo DUAL 128GB Over-The-Air DVR | Tablo Tablo QUAD 1TB Over-The-Air DVR | Tablo - it does claim to exclude internal, yet describe internal. Presuming it creates the backup db directory it should work.

So it’s not “totally false”? At best, not accurate for every situation? #FakeFacts

:roll_eyes:

often suggested trouble-shooting step, as noted in the replied to post.

This is one of the most absurd comments you’ve made yet, if I understand. Connecting an external drive to a PC is a risky proposition? There’s nothing unique about the drive once it’s connected to a tablo then makes any more fragile than before you’ve attached it. It’s an external drive… sure if you click format or delete – but that’s user error.

There it is – you want to argue!

…and I was just having fun. I’m not going to argue with you

it’s pointless.

That’s the part " If you’ve already run a channel scan on your new Tablo, you will need to factory reset it for these instructions to work."

Internal drives could refer to two things. There are models like the Dual 128GB with 128GB of built in flash storage. This is not removable, however you can also attach an external drive to that one. Then there’s the new quad models that have slots inside their chassis for a SATA drive. While that drive is ‘inside’, it’s still an external drive in that it’s removable and plugged in. But unlike the USB drives, the SATA drive is not ‘hot-swappable’ so Tablo recommends you powering off the device before removing it/putting in one.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.