Legacy=Worked. Gen4=Buffering

I own the Legacy Tablo and the new Gen4 Tablo.
I installed the Legacy and no special settings, no WIFI settings/changes. I scanned for channels it has worked for ? years? NO BUFFERING.
I installed the Gen4 and it will not stop buffering.
*I’ve reset the Gen4. No help.
*I’ve reset the Roku. No help.
*I’ve hardwired the Gen4. No help.
*I’ve reset the Modem/Router. No help.
*I’ve reset the Roku app. No help.
*I’ve reduced the TV resolution. No help.

Can I return this and get the Legacy? Can someone school me on how to make the “improved” Gen4 actually work?

And Yes. Firmware was updated. No help.

The legacy Tablo does use less bandwidth than the 4th gen Tablo because of transcoding MPEG4 vs. native MPEG2 data. So it is possible that your internal network and playback devices are fine for the legacy Tablo but underpowered for the 4th gen.

Can you describe your home network (what wifi version as well as any devices to extend your network like mesh or ethernet over power lines), as well as the devices you are using for the Tablo (Roku, Android, wired or wifi)?

Thanks!

2 Likes

The system I was testing was the Zhone and the two Roku’s. Looks like the Router on the Zhone needs to be replaced and next question is ; does the Tablo support one Roku @ 5Ghz and another @ 2.4Ghz? Is that going to create buffering as well?

Or am I going to need to replace the new Roku Express as well?

In regards to the SSID and 2.4ghz v 5ghz, I cannot split my SSID through the cable co’s wireless router. Regardless, I have an ancient Express+ that can only access the 2.4ghz network and it works okay. There have been occasional buffering issues on certain stations (IDK why but FOX causes this problem, sometimes even on 5ghz), but usually recordings had been watched without a hitch. I seem to be having some buffering issues since the 2.2.48 and second 2.2.48 firmware update, but that’s a separate issue ATM.

If you can change your SSID so you know the difference, I would suggest doing that. Then you’ll know which network you are connected to. Regardless, you’ll at least be able to see if your particular Roku model is able to use that frequency.

I don’t plan on watch any recordings. My buffering has been on live TV. That needs to be fixed.

Then it would likely come down to how many users are watching live TV at the same time.

This is at my Dad’s house. He will have both TVs on at the same time. Kitchen runs at 720p. Living room runs at 1080p.

He has zero issue with streaming through ISP. Only issue is Tablo buffering and this happens with only one TV on. This needs to get fixed.

Are you saying it works on the other TV okay?

Both TV have buffering issues. Buffering happens even with only one TV on. Buffering happens with both TVs on.

You have been doing a lot of research to fix your problem, as shown by your chart above.

Do you know if there might be any channel interference? There are many different IP scanning tools available depending on which OS you’re using. Find out which one your router is broadcasting at and check into anything else that might be on a similar channel. (It might help if you can find a clear one and set that in your router permanently – sometimes “find automatically” is just a company’s way of using the most common.)

I live in Memphis and my dad live in central Illinois, where horse and buggys still use the streets. The Gen4 worked fine on 5Ghz systems. I tested on the Deco. I plan on replacing the router and probably the new Roku Express, because I believe the Gen4 was only designed to work on new tech. ( I wish they would have announced that) So everything has to be AC at min. Everything has to work on my next trip up.

Sounds like you’re going out of your way to make this work for him so you can quickly set it up. That’s commendable.

The router and Roku replacements sound like the easiest and best way to go about it. You don’t want to leave a lot to chance and have to provide tech support from miles away. Making sure everything is new and ready for anything else you might throw at it is never a bad idea.

Buy the updated Rokus with 5ghz support, install your new router, but then test the old Rokus to see if there’s still the same buffering. If not, you saved some money, but if there is you’ll at least be ready!

Just keep in mind that there are some Roku app issues right now that could also be in play. Hopefully, they’ll have the updates out in a few days and things will improve.

Good luck, and as always, let us know how things are going so others can gain from your unfortunate experience.

Needed to correct a previous post. 802.11n can be dual-band. Roku Express 4K does work on 802.11ac.

Is the 4k express what you have (that yes works on either band) or what you had planned on getting? I was under the impression you had the old one (I think it’s the 3910), which is only capable of 2.4ghz.

I was using the Express 4K this past weekend.

But it was forced to 2.4Ghz by the Zhone, so still probably need the upgraded Router. The plan is to force all wifi at 5Ghz 802.11ac and higher Mbps.