Introducing: Plex Channel for TabloTV

We were playing with it at the office yesterday and it looks pretty awesome so far! 

Big thanks to @DavidVR and @PiX64!

I have only played around with Plex in a really minor way, but reading this makes me even more excited to get my hands on a TabloTV. Woot!

@DavidVR @PiX64 I’d love to see a video of the Plex-Roku

Glad you are excited.  Willl shoot a video real quick for you to see things working.

although @Angus - not sure why you would do that exactly based on the fact that TabloTV has a pretty nice roku channel which is more feature complete :slight_smile:

I don’t have one yet, so maybe I’m misunderstanding, but I think with Plex I could easily switch back and forth between media on the TabloTV and media on another computer?

Yes that is 100% true.  The roku channel for Tablo is pretty awesome though… here is a link to the ametuer video review i did which shows the roku interface… still want a video review of the roku plex app?

http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/175/web-app-roku-app-ipad-app-review-from-a-sagetv-guy/

SageTV is my current system. Love it. :slight_smile: No, the video in this link is fine. Thanks!

So when the PLEX functionality is up and running that will negate the no Fire TV support right?  Since fire TV supports PLEX and Tablo will run within PLEX.  (Trying to determine if I am going to buy a Fire TV or not)

@jbanks25 - We’ll still be looking at a native FireTV app. Stay tuned for more information on that front.

@jbanks25 in the mean time the Plex app on FireTV should allow you to use the Tablo for now

Right - as well as support on most other plex clients as well (samsung smart tv, lg smart tv, lg set top streamer, etc.)

Cool, well, my entire PLEX running house is just waiting for this app to arrive.  :)  Can’t wait to see it on my Surface adn Windows Phone.

any updates friendly volunteer developer dudes?

we needs it, my precious!

We got the latest firmware build which includes a much needed API function. This will allow me to complete the livetv rewrite. Once done we will GEF a few beta testers. We can’t roll things out until Tablo firmware is in place which contains new API.

In traveling for work next few days but when I’m back I’ll get the livetv done, and post updates.

I find this so peculiar. I got the Tablo to replace Plex as my “watching TV on my TV” solution. (OTA has better picture quality.)

@bblackmoor I suspect you would find it less so if you were in the same boat as me with a Windows Phone, Surface, and Fire TV that didn’t run Tablo with a native app.

Aside form that, I’m not sure, but my understanding was that Plex wouldn’t be transcoding anything in this situation, just acting as a wrapper and delivery device…  Maybe I am wrong.

@jbanks25 … I use the Tablo with our Roku boxes, to watch TV on our TVs. I have no interest in using the Tablo with anything else (besides, I wouldn’t need to – if I wanted to watch a show on my laptop, etc., I could just go to Hulu or the TV network’s web site, and watch the show right there). I don’t see any reason to go to the Plex channel on my Roku and then find the Tablo channel in Plex, when I can save a step and just go to the Tablo channel on Roku. Once I am sure that I’ll be keeping the Tablo and that it suits our needs, I’ll be removing Plex entirely.

But that’s just me, I  guess.

There is a lot of things i see that could benifiet from this. as a new tablo person who didnt relize some of the short commings i really hope this can solve some of them for me.

1. Rokus cant play remote tunners

2. cant pair remote tunners with phone/tablets

3. better sharing for travel

On that note @PiX64 please let me know if you would like some help with the development/testing I do development stuff in python and I soon will have 2 quad tunners 1 local and 1 remote to test with

@crichardso

GREAT thanks!.

We are super close to releasing a beta for people to test out, and it will be a private beta at first of course.  Tablo is actually at CE Week in NYC and they are demoing the Plex Channel as part of their suite of software/apps.

Right now we can’t just give out the channel plugin to test because it requires a custom beta firmware build which only they, dave, and myself have at this point.  Once EVERYONE gets the firware rollout, then we will be able to start our testing.