Introducing: Plex Channel for TabloTV

I think the app needs a lot more work.  On the mobile side it gets into the ‘Directory Appears to be Empty’ state quite easily, and there is no sure fire “good” way to make it come back.  The module tends to “run away” sometimes and affects the entire plex server (causing lock ups, no response, etc.).  The other day I just wholloped the bundle and then killed the errant tablo process.

With that said, there was (is) a definite bug in that Tablo’s servers house info about all of the Tablos you have registered… one of which in my case was RMA’d, but the plex plugin kept wanting to attach to that one (sigh).   I had the Nuvyyo folks remove the errant entry on their servers, but even so, it really didn’t fix the reliability issues of the Plex app.

I suppose that maybe the plex plugin works ok in certain situations… but I’d be very careful about the mobile side.  It makes it go all “wonky”.

With all that said… it is a good first effort and I’m sure that most all of the problems are solvable.

@cjcox Can you elaborate on your setup and where the plugin gets “wonky” ?

I use it on a daily basis without experiencing the issues you are describing so it may be something specific about your setup that we need to identify and attempt to replicate.  Also are you using the latest version of the plugin?

@cjcox “wonky”? I find this plugin to work extremely well. The only problems I encountered were with the guide not updating. That was fixed in the latest version. This is the only plugin that I know of that allows live tv in Plex. There used to be an HDHomerun plugin, but that no longer works. The SimpleTV plugin for Plex only allows you to play your recordings. I only use the Tablo plugin for Plex on the mobile side and have not encountered any of the issues you describe. It has been great for viewing live tv on the iphone and the ipad remotely or on the “mobile side”. Actually, it has been an excellent substitute for the IOS Tablo app.

The problems you describe seem to be more of a network issue than an issue with the plugin. I only have one Tablo unit (four tuner), so I do not have experience with the plugin in a multiple tablo unit situation. I could see Plex having an issue in a multiple Tablo unit situation.

@Davidvr  My live TV channels are keeping updated now, but I still don’t see any video from the Movies category.

@HarryR I’m pretty sure that I know where the issue is but I haven’t recorded any movies as of yet so I hadn’t experienced it. I’ve scheduled a couple to record over the next few days and try to have that fixed over the weekend. 

@Davidvr Cool! I only noticed recently and I record a lot of movies, but don’t seem to have the time to watch them. I don’t get any sports programming on the channels I receive, so I can’t tell if that category works. Thanks again for the awesome work you’ve done.

@HarryR - The issue you see is with LiveTV or Recordings?  Last I tested LiveTV after coding and before rolling it into the git hub All sections were working great… Recordings may be another story.  If i have time Dave Ill take a look at it.  pretty sure I know exactly where that would be having an issue.

@PiX64 @Davidvr The issue is only in recordings. I see everything in Live TV.  Maybe another category for Movies needs to be added for recorded Movies. (Sports too if you record them).

Scheduled recordings still does not respond but it’s not that important.

Im quite sure it has to do with the data that is coming back and us NOT handling the metadata structure correctly.  In LIVETV there are 3 distinct structures that come back which have different elements (TV, Sports, Movies)… recordings are the same

Ill take a look here shortly if i can break away from work stuff :slight_smile:

@HarryR I just committed a fix with Movies, as soon as I can get some people to test it I’ll merge it into the store build @PIX64

Is anyone running Plex / Tablo from a Samsung Smart TV?  I can view the Tablo channel successfully from other clients (web, Android) but having issues with Samsung TV Plex app (1.15 / June 2014).  Any thoughts on where to go to try to troubleshoot this?

I can connect to Tablo and see Live TV / Shows / Recent Recordings / Scheduled Recordings.  When I select a recording or Live TV show, I get the same error message:

"There seems to be a problem.  Can’t connect to the selected server or the content is no longer available."

All of the posters / show info is displaying fine - I just can’t watch anything.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?   I have no other issues with my Samsung Plex app … that I’m aware of!

Tablo Version 2.1.12
Plex Plugin Version 0.98
Samsung Plex 1.015  on F-series Samsung TV
LAN connections for Plex Media Server, TV and Tablo - NO WIFI

Please provide Plex plugin logs from server. Tablo.log. alos media server.log

What model is you Samsung? Wondering if there is a problem playing HLS.

1. I see only recorded TV shows… but not movies (weird).   Even ones that are recent recordings (confused).

2. Accessing Tablo using the Plex Android app doesn’t work too well.  Errors a lot (perpetual empty directory message).

@cjcox movies not appearing is a known issue that will be resolved in the next build ( version 0.99)

I’m not a droid guy but @pix64 is and might have some more insight.

@cjcox - I have noticed this as well and have been keeping and eye on use cases which make it happen.  you can for now correct the issue when it happens by going into the app under Android System settings and clear the cache.

@cjcox I’ve committed version .99 which should correct a few issues and adds a Movies section. if you want to give it a test before I have it merged into the channel store that would be great. To be able to use a checked out copy you will need to check it out to another location (not the plugins folder) then symlink it as Tablo.bundle in the plugins folder otherwise plex will auto overwrite it with the channel store version 

I will try this out shortly… thanks!!

Now have movies!!  Thank you!

I replaced my 2-tuner with 4-tuner and now I’m having an issue installing the Tablo channel in Plex. The new tuner had been assigned a different IP and port numbers. But it seems to be looking for the the IP address of the old tuner. Is that the registration info from the Tablo site?

yep… ask Nuvyyo to remove the other unit.  Right now Plex gets confused when two units are returned in their call.