Introduce Yourself

Turbo C++? So, something “new”. :slight_smile: I had to load Advantage C++, school gave it to me (it was expensive too). Turbo Pascal is all we had back then. Well, that and I had assembler and BASIC on my Z80.

1 Like

I’ve been active in this forum for about a month. I’ve cut the cord a month ago, and I did my homework prior to doing so. I already had a flat antenna on each of my 4 TVs. I purchased the TABLO Lite because I could not wait for the QUAD to be available. It works great for us; we are a retired couple and we primarily watch TV in our living room, and I record a few programs. I love the TABLO and want to know everything that I can do, therefore, I check out the TABLO Community regularly. I’m a happy camper and the TABLO works beautifully for us.

3 Likes

Well, I’ve already posted a few times but just found this thread so I figure I owe y’all an intro. Especially those great folks that have already helped me.

Name is Paul. Grew up in Mississippi. Spent several years in Army Special Operations. Got out and went back to Mississippi for college. After completing grad school we moved to WA and I spent 17 years at that big software company in Redmond that y’all might have heard of. Then spent a year at that big online retail company based in Seattle that you probably spend some of your “prime” time shopping from. Last year we moved to Austin, TX and I now work for the fruit company.

After ~27 years with DTV I got our latest bill a couple weeks back and saw that they jacked up our monthly bill again. This time by nearly $13 because they were now charging us a rental fee for the main receiver which is required to drive the other two receivers for our two TVs. Total cost for our service went up to about $157 a month. I had enough so I canceled. Still haven’t seen our final bill which will include their ETFs but I know I can save money in the long run.

So I’m fairly technically competent but I’m a total novice to cord cutting. We’ve been with DTV so long that technology for this has gone completely unnoticed. We went to the local Best Buy to look at options and settled on a good OTA antenna and the Tablo Dual Lite and a two week trial of SlingTV.

Thanks again for the folks that have already contributed to me. Hopefully I’ll be returning the favors in the future.

4 Likes

Welcome to the group, and thank you for your military service, Paul.

2 Likes

Trying this again sorry.

1 Like

Hello. So I joined the forum a few months ago to learn about cord cutting methods & how it all works. In one month I learned more than I’d known all my life & the 2 most important purchases I’ve made were thanks to advice I received here: my xbox one which I use for all my streaming & discs, and yamaha soundbar which is so good I use it for music too.

My entertainment setup:

1. TV is vizio, really nice https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-43-Class-D-Series-4K-2160P-Ultra-HD-HDR-Smart-LED-TV-D43-F1-2018-Model/778294529

2. Soundbar is yamaha, I love it https://www.costco.com/Yamaha-ATS-1080-35"-2.1-Channel-Soundbar-with-Dual-Built-in-Subwoofers.product.100430280.html

3. Antenna is called ar163 it gets all the stations really clear Really clear antenna for outside

Philo is my tv provider, 20 bucks for all the channels I need & my antenna for local programs, its perfect all round. I use a fire stick to get amazon prime movies & tv & I get vudu through my xbox but have a vudu spark (which I also learned about in here).

So I have the forum to thank for all the info I learn about and all the things I’ve bought so far to make my setup. I don’t have any technical skills so there’s a lot here I don’t follow but the simple stuff is really great & helps.

I’m a Texas girl but went to high school in Seattle when my dad transferred there & then I returned after graduation. I spend 3-4 months a year up there, to be with my parents but wouldn’t wanna live there permanently.

3 Likes

I’m shy :wink:

Are your parents in the city proper up there in Seattle, or somewhere nearby?

Bellevue. My dad’s looking at a few houses in Queen Anne but mom loves Bellevue so she’ll win out in the end. If I get a vote it’ll be Queen Anne.

…kind of important, until you get your tablo device :wink:

disclaimer

your purchases are wonderfully important! but generally we’re about tablo’s either how to get the most out of them, get them working… or a few, why they are so (allegedly) bad.

Hello all,
I’m new to this support community but have had my 4-tuner Tablo now for 1.5 years. Love it. My name is Lundy and I live in the midwest of the U.S.A.

I’m new to the Tablo scene in Phoenix, been with DirecTV since '93. I’m going to cancel them in a month after this device proves itself. I have an extensive electronics, computer hardware and programming background as well as micro controllers. Ham radio operator and just general geek.

Why am I dropping DTV after soo many years, well AT&T of course.

ATT’s investors are asking them to dump DTV. It’s sort of weird, U-verse TV which did a lot btw to create IPTV as a whole, well ATT dumped that (which allowed for multiple streams, picture-in-picture, etc.) for old school satellite after their acquistiion of DTV and ATT promised to move all of their U-verse customers over to the “better” platform. Essentially, they put in all on the line for DTV (which was bad tech to begin with) and now to hear their investors pushing for them to toss it… well, it’s just humorous.

(from a former ATT Manager)

Is everyone familiar with the Andy Griffin Show and the episode Stranger in Town? About a man not from Mayberry but took the newspaper to find out about the town. Reading about them, studying them and then arriving there because he wanted to be among them.

Same for me, I was on here for years before buying a Tablo. Reading the comments and trying to find out if this would be right for me. I finally bought one a couple of months ago and have very happy with it.

You’re among friends… or support group :neutral_face:

Florida Guy, TheMadPirate or just Gary. Hi New to Tablo from the Dead Roku/AirTv World. What a Great Upgrade I made. I have the Tablo for Nvidia Shield and let me say besides Great this device gets a whole new level of Hot! Getting a USB fan to pamper it and read it can handle 230 degrees. I’m impressed with this little USB device Perfect!

I am new to the forum and live in Ontario Canada. Cutting the cord with my current provider next May 2021 when my contract ends. Can’t wait. Will buy the Tablo Quad with 1 TB hard drive and use an Amazon Firestick for streaming. Will use a Channel Master 4228 antenna.

In the meantime I will read through the forum for tips etc.

Bill

Welcome. If you haven’t already purchased the Fire TV Stick, wait a few months, supposedly there is a new Fire TV Stick 4K coming out soon.

Welcome. If you’re able, you might consider getting your new configuration in place a bit before your current provider agreement expires so you have time to set up recordings and get started building a buffer of programming to watch at your leisure. I did that when I started and found I stopped using my cable box for the most part- it gave me confidence that I had made the right decision.

Thanks for the welcome and for the suggestion. My son in law just hooked up a new Tablo with a cheap $5 antenna and recorded shows yesterday. He has the same service provider as I do and it worked fine. I will probably do the same and run the services together before cutting the cord. Thanks again,
Bill