Informal survey - Which router are y'all using?

Just bought the TP-Link Archer C7 after the recommendation from the Wire Cutter. This is my first experience with AC Wireless and I’m blown away. My speeds almost doubled, and I finally was able to get rid of my PowerLine adapters and stream everything wireless no problem on 1080p with hardly any buffering.

FYI - Just checked the three online stores and Amazon is the cheapest at $94.49 + tax and free shipping.

1 Like

That is the same price I paid from Amazon as well. Glad I didn’t overpay :smile:

Me as well… after checking around, Amazon had the best price. Periodically, I check with speedtest.net to make sure I’m getting what I’m paying for. After I switched from my old Belkin N750 DB to the TP Link Archer C7, I saw a significant increase in my download speed, clocking in at about 60-65 Mbps.Previously, I had been getting around 30-35 on my living room Win 8.1 tablet. No doubt my LAN speeds have increased as well, but that’s just a guess.

It’s interesting that a lot of folks here have higher end consumer grade routers, going for something in the $150-200 range, or higher. I didn;t want to go quite that high in price, so I looked for something with respectable performance and features in the $100 range, and the TP Link Archer C7 won out. I did notice that one guy is using a Linksys WRT54G router, something I relegated to my spares closet long ago. I wonder how it performs with the Tablo. I forget off the top of my head which firmware my WRT54G is running, as I played around with DD WRT as well as Tomato a long time ago.

1 Like

I agree with huff, I am also using a 5th Gen Airport Extreme… I have literally NEVER needed to reboot it, its always rock solid.

1 Like

ASUS RT-AC66U (works well)

I’m using my Ooma as my router.

Very stable yet cheap TP-Link TL-WR841N ($19) router for my WAN connection to the modem. Allows me to run a VPN server so I can use the Roku remotely with the Tablo.

For my WiFi, another great yet affordable router, the TP-Link TL-WDR3600 ($50), it has Wireless N 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.

TL-WR841N:

TL-WDR3600:

1 Like

Linksys WRT1900AC

Multiple Linksys WRT600N’s running DD-WRT Mega as AP-only (same SSID, different channels) to ensure best coverage and performance throughout.

Primary firewall/router is an HP Thin Client running pfSense with 5 NIC ports to completely segment different types of devices into separate networks (LAN, WiFi, VOIP, Server) and to run VPN client & server.

I’ve had uptimes in excess of a year.

1 Like

Asus RT-N56U is my router, but my wifi is coming from a Ubiquity UniFi Long Range Access point (UAP-LR-US). I’ve never had a better AP in the N range. I’ll eventually upgrade to AC, but I only have 1 device in the house that supports it thus far and that’s my 4k TV. But, that’s working over the wireless N just fine.

What’s the bitrate on this 4K content?

16mbps on YouTube and Amazon Prime

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE. Fantastic piece of kit and worth every $.

You know what I’m talking about. Ubiquity makes amazing products.

1 Like

Nice - Wireless N 5 GHz can handle that Mbps. I stream 12-20 Mbps 1080p content (BluRay sourced) over my TL-WDR3600 router.

Zyxel PK5001Z from CenturyLink on DSL at 5.12Mbps with the radio OFF connected to a 6th Gen Airport Express in bridge mode with a 5th Gen Express on the other side of the house set as extended network.

This has worked perfectly for over a year with no problems with Tablo - only when CL drops DSL signal or I do something dumb. Able to watch Tablo on 2 tvs at the same time or Netflix/Amazon + Tablo with no problems. (using 2 Roku 3s and 1 Apple TV)

Verry happy with setup and Tablo

After Wirecutter picked the TP Link Archer C7 I updated to that and can see some differences

Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H running OpenWRT 15.05

Netgear WNDR-3800 running dd-wrt.