I guess I must sadly say farewell to my Tablo [SOLVED]

Correct…Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996

Antennas – Over-The- Air-Reception-Devices (OTARD) Rule – The Telecommunications Act (the “Act”) of 1996 was intended to promote the advancement of technology and competition among many new service providers, thereby allowing viewers the greatest possible access to the greatest variety of available programming at an affordable cost. In late 1996, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) adopted the “Over-The-Air-Reception-Devices (OTARD) Rule.” This rule addressed viewers’ ability to receive video programming signals from: 1) television broadcast stations (“TVBS”), 2) direct broadcast satellites (“DBS”), and 3) multi-channel multipoint distribution (wireless cable) providers (“MMDS”). While allowing for some very limited controls and restrictions, notably for safety and historic preservation, the rule preempts all recorded covenants and restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance and use of antennas to receive video programming. The rule applies to all satellite dish antennas less than one meter (39.37”) in diameter, to all broadcast TV antennas, and to antennas (one meter or less in diameter or diagonal measurement) for reception of wireless cable signals. The OTARD rule supercedes all restrictive covenants that:

• preclude, degrade, or interfere with the reception of an acceptable quality signal;
  • unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use of the antenna, and
  • unreasonably delays or prevents the installation of the antenna.

The OTARD rule was amended in January 1999 to apply to rental properties and homeowner and condominium associations where a tenant or resident has exclusive use of limited common elements such as a balcony or patio. It applies to all types of multiunit and manufactured (mobile) homes as well as to single family homes. Residents may install an antenna on a limited common element within their exclusive use as well as on property they own outright (i.e., a yard), but may be prohibited from installing an antenna on the common element roof of a multiunit building. A central antenna system installed on common elements by the association may allow restriction of the installation of individual video antennas, provided that:

• the viewer receives the particular video programming service that he/she/they desire and could receive with an individual antenna (i.e., all DBS, TVBS and/or MMDS providers, not just any provider of the association’s choice);
  • the video reception from the central system (in the residence) is as good as or better than the quality received from an individual antenna;
  • the costs associated with use of the central system are no greater than the costs of installation, maintenance and use of the individual’s antenna; and
  • the association’s requirement to use the central system does not “unreasonably delay the viewer’s ability to receive video programming.”

With the installation of an acceptable central antenna system, an association can require the removal of individual antennas previously installed on limited common elements if the cost of removal and the value of the antenna are reimbursed to the individual

BUT:

Associations will not have to amend their covenants to comply with the FCC regulations because compliance is already mandatory. However, restrictions that do not impair a viewer’s ability to receive video signals remain enforceable. Community associations can still require a resident to apply for approval of the antenna installation as long as no unreasonable delay or cost is involved. Associations can still require compliance with the rules regarding method of installation, and may require screening, unobtrusive placement, painting, camouflage and other reasonable steps to reduce the visual impact on the community.

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule - FAQ

That says it all. You are correct. When I contacted the antenna installer( a reputable antenna company, not a non licensed handyman.) He actually has installed hundreds in this development. He knows where to locate the antenna,and size requirements. that is why mine is in back yard, and used antennas direct max 4. We removed direct dish. and installed the over the air in same location. On my street there are many satellite dishes, on the roof , on the side mount, and in back yards. The antenna for ota is actually smaller. The rules actually state that you can install antennas providing you do the best to keep from view. As I said,Antenna company that installs here for many years does know the requirements.The installer finds the best spot to meet both signal and rules of neighbor hood. that should be true of any place in any state. If you get someone that is in that business he knows the rules because most likely has installed there for many years. that is the case here.

Thank you Judge Judy’s associate errr… assistant

@jimsoldies and @Lysander

The very fact they can require you to apply for approval is why I asked the question about the architectural committee. If they have reasonable limitations I would not want to find I violated those and run into problems. I will take this up with the vendor and see what they say. I am also concerned, could they be more cognizant of such limitations where I live since this whole area is brand new? Might they be more likely to enforce those limitations? Inquiring minds want to know…

Sounds like you’re doing ‘the right thing’ and for the right reasons! I have no HOA restrictions, barely basic zoning rules I guess. I hear people grumbling, I wouldn’t leave where someone tells me what I can’t do…

I would look at more as what my neighbors can’t - what I don’t have to put up with. How many scrap cars in the lot next to you. Do they run snowmobiles at night in the field across the road (since their house is around the corner, what do they care). Do you hear rifle practice… at night, hoping they aren’t too drunk?

sorry, but was already off topic - it’s time to say Hello again, soon :smile:

Yes, we move here to be protective of a lot of things, and I respect that. Also I would never do anything to not be a good neighbor, or cause people to talk about me.All Im saying is, when we moved here there was a satallite dish in place, we removed the dish portion and put the max 4 in its place. seeing everyone else has a satallite dish on there house they are within guidelines. I felt I’m within guidelines. go to your doc papers and read what I read, and come to your own conclusion. good luck on this. hope I was some help.

Well, I now have a new outside HD antenna installed. They put it on a pole about 20 feet long, with about 2 feet of that below the ground and 17-18 feet above. I am getting a strong signal from the major networks. I think Tablo found 44 total channels, but only about 15 were 720i or better. I ended up editing the list down to 10 channels; much better than the zero I had before.

Thank you for the recommendation Jim! Brandon didn’t do my install, but another guy named Tom did a great job.

1 Like

Great News! I hope your getting the channels you wanted. Do you get Cozi, Decades, And Me tv, also with Antenna tv on 27.2? they all come in clear for me. Also I assume Tom was from international with the max 4 antenna? Im glad it worked out.

I do see Cozi, Decades, MeTV (2.2), and Antenna (27.2). They are all 480i, so Tablo didn’t include them by default. I have many more 480i that it didn’t include as well.

Yes, Tom was with International Satellite and Antenna. When Tom scanned my signals he said they were good and strong.

Than you again!

Tom was also impressed by the TabloTV and said he was going to look into it for himself.

if you click on the stations it should add the channels. even 480i come in good. ps , your welcome.

so the 480i should add to your guide also. Jim

The 480i are just not widescreen, so will be the old format, correct?

How many total channels are you able to pull in, even those you may not want? :slight_smile:

The sub-channels can also be wide screen, it just depends on the network and local broadcaster. Any channel that is broadcast in 480i is just SD instead of HD.

And if you have a reasonably nice TV, 480i quality works just fine.

2 Likes

If you are over a certain age and have experienced snow, ghosting, etc. 480i (digital) looks pretty good. if you are looking for 4K type definition then you need to look elsewhere (and pay a lot).

It might look good on an old formatted screen, but on the newer widescreen. It will look all scrunched up with a lot of black space around the borders. And yes, I was around long enough to know the old analog days when we put aluminum foil on the rabbit ears.

picture comes in fine, try them. quality is fine also. I love the old shows on those channels. after scan we get about 55 channels. save 25. 4 major networks and the subs 480i, Me TV, Cozi Tv, Antenna TV and Decades TV. they all have many old shows , look on tv guide .

MeTV doesn’t do a bad job of zooming to help a bit.