I guess I must sadly say farewell to my Tablo [SOLVED]

Sling TV is offering antenna installations. You can set up a Sling TV antenna installation by calling 1-888-364-6055.

SEE: We Tested Sling TV’s Antenna Installation Service: Here Is How It Went

NOTE: You do not have to be a SLING customer to use their service.

Hi,I have tried sling install,after seeing the article on cord cutters.I was told sling only installs on side of home. Installersaid would not get signal on his equipment, very little effort to even try. Told me to contact antenna company. We needed to be on a pole and be over roof line in my case to get signals from Orlando, 60 miles away. So they would have been a good choice if it would be a clear shot to tower and a side of home mount, and closer to city.

Jim, thanks for the additional feedback. I am only 20 miles from the Orlando towers which are near Bithlo.
I am also 11 miles from the WESH UHF transmitter in Deland.

In my case I get all the channels with a side of house mount.

I’m in McClure, so quite a ways south of you. However, I see you get about the same results when checking for availability of channels. Will need to look into this when I get a chance.

@TabloScott The Denny’s HD Stacker is supposed to be good for low signal areas:

Best Outdoor TV antenna for moderate and weak/rural signal areas

41076646_scaled_354x265

1 Like

I’ve installed the HD Stacker in my son’s attic. It was not too bad to assemble in the attic and is providing good performance from 40 miles (through a traditional shingle roof) in the Dallas market where one of the networks is broadcasting on VHF.

@StuTomato Thanks for the feedback.

Here are some comments from installs back in 2010: From TV Fool Forum

You already have one great local antenna lead. If that doesn’t pan out, consider asking your local Amateur Radio club (HAMs). Many members know RF inside and out, antennas, grounding, & mounting are essential for good performance and not destroying your own equipment. You also have weather, (wind & lightning at least) considerations. It is a community that loves to share.

Be sure to ask your installer about grounding the mast, grounding the antenna, and bonding to the residential electrical ground. You want the antenna system and the household electrical system to be at the same electrical potential, otherwise the set top box becomes the path for current. People get shocked that way.

Best of luck.

@jimsoldies were you required to submit a request into the architectural committee and get their approval before your installation?

I spoke with John today at International Satellites and Antennas and he is going to have Brandon give me a call on Monday. I think I need to make sure if there is anything I need to get cleared through The Villages I do so before having it installed.

Thanks, Scott

@jimsoldies Also, John says that NBC will be the challenge. Are you able to receive any NBC channels successfully, and with decent strength?

The closest WESH (NBC) tower to Lady Lake is in Orange City:
Ch 02, WESH , (RF 18, UHF )
Antenna MSL: 488 meters
36.7 Miles at 88 Degrees from The Villages
-60 dBm (31%)

The main one in Bithlo is VHF-H.

This site is great for locating all the TV towers:

TV Broadcast Tower Locator

I see a lot of people having to “ask permission” to install an antenna. Are you in a historic preservation area? If this is a new home and you have an HOA, they really can’t tell you you can’t have an antenna to receiving local TV broadcast. They may THINK they can. And they may THINK they can make you jump through hoops. But they’re subject to laws and regulations which prohibit them from placing certain restrictions… probably better explained here…
FCC - OTARD Rule

I did not. seeing all the direct tv dishes, and other outdoor antennas installed before I did mine, this one is smaller than direct tv dish. also, Fcc rules override hoa rules on antennas. but mine is in back of gate and is considered in my back yard.go down by seabreeze rec center and see at least 4 of them from road.in douval village. that’s where I got my idea to use antennas direct, as I stoped at a home there and saw the install. I get full signal on all the channels I want. inc nbc.

Also , your in good hands with brandon.

If your near Virginia trace, I can meet you at the mail center there, and give you a look at the install. Jim

what if they have these “rules” in place - before you purchase or move in. Then you sign the HOA agreeing to their terms when you purchase or move into the residence?
In this example noting is being forced on anyone that they hadden’t agreed to.

Your reference does state entities can “enforce restrictions that do not impair the installation” just do you can put it up… they can still say how - as long as it doen’t impair it’s use.

Sometime HOA’s aren’t about what you can’t do… but about what you don’t have to put up with from other’s - in general.

Federal law says that an HOA can’t prohibit installing antennas in areas you control. They can require certain locations (back of house, etc) as long as that does not interfere with usability. Doesn’t matter if you agreed to the HOA covenants. The covenants themselves are overridden by the law. Note that historical properties are exempt.

True… just that in some circumstances - you can’t just go and put up an antenna where every you want, that’s all I was say’n. They can limit, not prohibit and perhaps have policies to confirm compliance (who knows).

Then again, if you sign a legally binding agreement, agreeing not to put one up… then tell them “nana nana boo boo stick your head in doo doo - federal law says I can any how”. I’m not so sure Judge Judy would agree.

[edit: after I wrote this I realized you can't enforce a   ]
[contractthat isn't legal.  Both parties can agree, but    ] 
[may not be  enforceable...I'm sure it will be discussed   ]    
[in subsequent posts -I'll leave it to Judge Judy          ]

I don’t think an agreement with the HOA can override federal law. But I don’t think either of us is a lawyer. So what do we know?

After I left, I pondered… you can’t enforce a contract which isn’t legal (reasonably sure). Yes, I rescind that statement. Or maybe defer to Judge Judy

There have been a couple other time the past couple days I tried to make a point and was way off. Not trying to be a know-it-all, just, generally a bit more careful.
I fear I’ve been spending too much time with disocbot :robot: in Post about nothing :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes