How can I stop recording the extra 5 minutes of all shows

@tablosupport So it seems every show records an extra 5 minutes. These are regular programming, not live shows. I dug around in here but since I’m unable to search Discussion Titles for any particular topic I’ll ask. How can we keep this from happening?  When the show time is up just stop recording.

@mullermj - tablo currently offers no customization to the recording length unlike most other dvr’s. Maybe they will eventually add this down the road in a future software release.

This is done only when the tuner used for that show isn’t needed for another show.  The extra 5 minutes is just a safe buffer.

If you absolutely hate it, then you can set up a manual recording using Chrome, web app, or tablet app and set specific start and end times.

My question would be “why not” - meaning why not let it record 5 over unless you have 1,999 gig used of a 2T drive.
If converting and saving elsewhere, that could be trimmed in the process as I understand it. Otherwise snowcat is right - do a manual recording. 
I note a lot of shows run util say 8:01 or 9:01 and at times a show is interrupted and then played in entirety, delaying the next show for a few minutes… I could see why that’s the default, I guess.

@mullermj @snowcat Is entirely correct - the Tablo will record an extra 5 minutes if the tuner isn’t for something else. We’ve had a few requests for more customizable/global start/end times, and we may take a look at it in the future.

1 Like

@sleeper @snowcat @shadowspapa @tablosupport Thanks everyone! I wasn’t looking for customization though…actually I’m wanting a more hands-off kind of Tablo experience.  Just let the guide determine the end time.  If it says a show is over at 7:00 or 7:04 then make it stop recording then.  A developer had to write it originally to look at the guide time and add 5 minutes otherwise it would never stop, right? I used a Tivo previously and very rarely did the show end late.  Here’s the annoying part…I’m watching the recorded show, it ends and the next one begins and I catch myself watching it and then BAM it ends. That happens now wayyy more than a show ending late ever did. I haven’t paid much attention to the reliability of Tablo’s guide vendor but are they that inconsistent or unreliable? I’ll get used to it or adapt eventually if it doesn’t change but I fall for it almost every time.

@mullermj I also had Tivo’s and there were shows constantly that ended late or started early. One of the top of my head was Grey’s anatomy. I actually requested to allow the user to set the start/extended time or leave it be… Hoping since every other DVR out there allows this @TabloTV and @TabloSupport will advocate for this. It is very frustrating to start a show and see it is already in progress because it started a minute early.

@mullermj I also had Tivo's and there were shows constantly that ended late or started early. One of the top of my head was Grey's anatomy. I actually requested to allow the user to set the start/extended time or leave it be.. Hoping since every other DVR out there allows this @TabloTV and @TabloSupport will advocate for this. It is very frustrating to start a show and see it is already in progress because it started a minute early.

@jestep - agreed

@jestep That would definitely be annoying. I suppose if a show or network was a frequent offender it would be helpful to have some recording flexibility. 

@mullermj yes, I find it annoying :stuck_out_tongue: But really I asked for this a long time ago:

http://jettsoft.com/TabloRequests.htm

Start/Stop recording x number of minutes before/after - Although some things have been done, not user configurable<o:p></o:p>

This HAS to be user configurable when you set a show to record. <o:p></o:p>

NOT in some Manual screen but on the recording of any show. <o:p></o:p>

Manual currently is pretty useless unless you know the exact show/channel/times.<o:p></o:p>

This has to be MUCH easier to do than currently implemented manual recording    

1 Like

@jestep Nice list! Way too much red though  :-?

@mullermj exactly… I keep posting it hoping Tablo will pay attention. I broke them up into items that should have been there day one, etc… Some may never come, but a lot should

@Jestep - We’re definitely paying attention. Your list is a good one and while we’d like to knock all those off the to-do list, there are only so many hours in the day. 

@TabloTV maybe we can get someone to program extra hours into each day? LOL

@Jestep - If only!!! It’s either that or we find a cache of really good programmers who will work for snacks from Costco vs. actual money.

@TabloTV you know I was thinking about that… But seriously, if there is any part of the code that could be open sourced, I know that is not likely, but then we could really speed things up :wink:

Or even don-disclousre for free help @TabloTV

@Jestep - We’re getting close to having our REST API finalized and documented. Once that’s done we’ll be considering creating an official developer program. 

1 Like

@TabloTV that may be ok for external code, but I was speaking of helping with internal code…

But, I am looking forward to that also :wink:
Makes me wonder if someone will code a fantastic interface and your’s becomes obsolete :stuck_out_tongue: Some people have way too much time on their hands
Some people have way too much time on their hands

That is VERY true. However, the more Tablo units we sell, the more developers we can hire so as we grow, we’ll be able to expand our team and increase feature velocity.