Help Shape the Tablo Roadmap

Here’s an idea to make best use of the hard drive space while allowing Tablo owners to never compromise on video quality. Auto_record_quality_setting which matches the channels broadcast quality… 480, 720, 1080. Tablo already knows this per channel info, so make use of it if the owner wants to… via the Taboo record quality setting selection. Seems to me this would make best use of the single hard drive support the product currently offers and will provide space savings for the majority of broadcast channels that are not 1080 quality.

Now honestly, I’ve been blown away with the Tablo 720 quality, so I would actually like to see a further space saving setting that is auto_720_Max… Then my 480 channels (about a third of my channels) and my 1080 channels (also about a third of my channel lineup) would both be optimized to save me hard drive space.

Lastly, it would be great to have an option to override/review this setting per show. I’m thinking about the super bowl here… I would want that at 1080 no matter how I have Tablo configured. Got to see those commercials in their full glory!

1 Like

>> Got to see those commercials in their full glory!

:)) 

Interesting suggestion through. Will have to ask the dev team what the logistics of this would be though. 

@Thumbs - This may help you out, The Tablo actually aways records in the native video quality if you select 1080p. 

So if you select 1080p and the channel is only 720p, it will record at 720p. The same with 480p, it will only record in 480 even if 1080p is selected. 

@TabloTV, Maybe it would be better to rename those selections to something like:
  • Maximum Quality (up to 1080)
  • Medium Quality (up to 720)
  • Standard Definition Quality (up to 480)

Sometimes I discover a conflict but I have no idea what the conflict is.
(beyond the limit of the timeline - I know the timeline should not be longer)

It would be good to see what the other shows are so I can decide what I
would rather be recording. There should be a  list of recording conflicts so you could quickly reschedule. If the app knows there is a conflict, it should also know what they are.

Just had this happen on my iPad.  Was watching live TV, 2 shows started recording at 10:00.  My live TV just hung. No notification or anything… just hung.

I would like to see some notification please.  Could be confusing for some.

Another vote for this one suggested earlier:

It would be nice to see a image as you fast forward or rewind to know where the commercials have ended - browser and roku at least don’t have this.
1 Like

Add the name of the Tablo to the top of the various screen’s be it a  Roku, Web Browser or Mobile app.  For those of us with two or more TabloTV’s can  keep track of which one we are currently connected to.  I have to keep going back to Settings. 

I’d like to be able t assign a custom name to the channels. For instance if I have two ABC stations I can get I like to name one ABC BA and the other ABC Sac. Also very useful for non network stations to assign a description that I understand. 

I get no warning of conflict when I try to schedule a third recording during the same time frame. It let me schedule 3 when I only have two tuners and I’m not sure which one would not get recorded since I haven’t got to the point of setting any priorities. 

Plex integration- I know on your list I just want to emphasize the features I’d want as part of this integration. Directly from their website "

Keep Track of what you Watch

Plex keeps track of whether you have watched all or part of a show and lets you resume from where you left off. On Deck keeps track of shows you’ve recently added, what you’re currently watching and the next unwatched episode in a TV Series. On Deck is featured prominently in all Plex Apps and minimizes digging through your collection to find the next episode of a favorite TV Show or a recently added Movie.

The Server supports multiple users–identified via a Plex account–to keep track of what each person has watched. This is great if several people share the Server; you each keep track of where you are in a TV Series, or whether you left off half way through a movie. Each person has their own set of “watched” status. (Multi-user support requires Plex Pass.)

1 minute conflicts- I have not idea why one of the networks thinks it is a good idea to run their shows starting at 01 or 31 and then ending at 01 or 31. I would not trust the content providers to only create this one problem. If they can do 1 minute that can also do 5 or 12 or 20 or whatever their hearts desire. When such a conflict happens then all selected shows should show as conflicting and allow the user to specify which show they would like to change. Once user selected show to change they should get a screen with the start time and the end time of the show and allow the user to modify the recording beginning time, end time or both times. And of course if these modifications do not fix the conflict it should give a warning. 

Live TV screen- I agree having 14 days should be done. This would allow user to see conflicts and fix them. Please keep in mind the reason anyone buys your system is to record things hat you can’t watch live. So if I go on vacation for a week currently I’d have no way of determining what I wanted to record two days from now and if any conflicts. I would also like to be able to just see the channels if I want. Ideally I like to be able to enter a short nickname to each channel and the click on that nickname to see channel details such as network my custom description see first point, the call letters and channel number. The space allowed for each channel is too wide. I go to this screen to see what is on tonight and future nights  I only get 10 stations I want to see them all in one view. The preview at the top is a design error to me. The preview should work the same as it does in the shows screen you click on the name and it pops up. If you get rid of the top part you should be able to list may more than 10 channels. Now if you can think of this screen as your email screen most email providers have the ability t let the customer design how they will view the screen. That is what I think you should do with this screen. Let the user decide to keep as original design or go with my proposed design. 

@andersonas25 - Good call! 

@a8erfan - What you mean you  ‘get no warning of conflict’? What app are you using? You should see this red flag when you have more set recordings than tuners. If you go to the ‘scheduled’ screen in the iOS and Android apps you should also have a list of conflicts on the conflicts tab. 

Thats setup, at least in my opinion is perfect!

I use the web app. I had two programs scheduled at the same time and I added another on the live TV screen and did not get any such error screen. Does the conflicts on the scheduled screen not work on the web app? 

@a8erfan - Yes, sorry but conflict resolution does not yet exist on the web app. Achieving feature parity across all apps in on the to-do list.  

Using the web app when I click on movies it sure would be great if I could select by the star rating. It could work something like the genres tab with 4 or better,3 or better and so forth. What would really be great is if it could allow me to rate movies and when I click it would be based on what my previous ratings of like movies. This is something netflix does very well. 

On the off chance you need to have a Tablo replaced due to hardware problems there needs to be a way to transfer the database from one Tablo to another.  As it is now you loose all recordings.  Or to be accurate the recordings on disk  can no longer be accessed by the new Tablo.  Apparently the DB is on the Tablo and not written to disk.   While your at it backup the DB to disk once in a while during idle periods.   That way the DB is ready to be restored onto a new Tablo if needed.

1 Like

@andersonas25, good point.   I just replaced with my Tablo, and not only do I lose all my recordings, but my hard drive has wasted space from where the recordings were.

Losing recordings is common when swapping DVRs.  But is there a way of removing them from the drive without doing a format?

@snowcat why did you replace your tablo?  something break?  Did you get a coveted 4-tuner model? :slight_smile:

I was having one bad week were the Tablo was rebooting on it own.  It actually hasn’t happened (that I have noticed) in the last 10 days, but Nuvyyo was being safe than sorry.  At least I get to experience the whole RMA process. :slight_smile:

While I was hoping they would send me a 4-tuner, I was not surprised that it was just a 2-tuner. :wink:

The Tablo locked up Tablo support determined it had a hardware fault. 

OK maybe loosing recording is common with a DVR, with a built in drive, the Tablo has a removable USB drive by design.  I had a MythTV setup for 10 years.  It went through several OS and hardware updates in that time.  I never lost any recordings or schedule data  due to an update.  I backup the Mysql DB install the new OS restore the DB  and poof its all there.  I was very surprised to find out a DB backup/restore wasn’t in the original design plan.

I wont be buying the four tuner.  I have two tuner Tablo’s to handle conflicts, and possible hardware issues.

I copied all the files (140G of recordings) to a linux workstation then let the replacement Tablo reformat the drive.  I’ll see if there is a way to play these back via Playlater MyMedia option.  In the mean time playlater just finished a 30 hour recording run to rerecord the ones the wife really likes.

Has anyone else noticed the tablo audio is about half as loud as any other app ? On my rokus I have to push the volume 1 to 100 where it normally is 50-60.