Harmony 650 Remote

I am decidedly on that path.

That M8 was a fantastic phone, it was ahead of it’s time. I have a U12+ (unlocked, international version), something of a modern-day M8. I’ve always thought of HT phones (and tablets) as excellent product.

HTC’s problem is the “lemons”. They’ll have some really great phones, and then a real stinker. Problem is that for whatever reason, people only buy the stinker HTC phones and thus, they’ve garnered a really bad reputation.

(I think we’ve taken this thread about as far off topic now as we should)

Discovered a new feature on the Harmony Ultimate One remote, I really like this. When loading “Favorites” / favorite channels on a device, you can select between cable providers, or (in my case), you locality by Zip and find all your OTA channels. Load the ones you like, in the order you like and they will present when you click the * button on your remote, when viewing.

In my case, I loaded about 50 channels, and it does let you scroll (downward) through the entire lineup, click the one you like and it’s there. I love the fact that each channel is represented by it’s Logo, a very nice little touch. Beginning to find more reasons to recommend this over the 650.

Is that only for Cable? Does that automatically start the Tablo and select that channel for live viewing (how?)?

It’s not only for Cable. When you go to load your channel favorites, it will give you a choice between all the major cable providers by location (Comcast, etc.) OR you can select your local community OTA lineup.

Once you do this it will load all the stations (and sub channels) in the city you designated. You then select which ones (or all) you wish to appear in the physical remote itself. When you’re watching TV, click the * (Star) button and the stations will appear, as in the photo above. Scroll through, click one and your TV or device will tune it.

In my case, I’ve got this set up with my Channel Master Stream + (also works with Air TV player). I can click the Guide button on the remote and scroll through the Grid to select OR just click the Favorites button then select from the screen.

1 Like

Though you can’t do this for Tablo channel viewing, you can set up an Activity to Turn on your TV, AV system (or Sound Bar), Roku or Fire TV Box and Tune to your Tablo Live Channels with the click of one Button.

You create an Activity, name it “Watch Tablo”, and set it up. Once done, you pick up your remote, click “Watch Tablo” and that’s where everything leads to and starts. You still have to scroll the conventional way though.

Ah, thanks. I didn’t run my antenna to the tv, I only watch through the tablo

1 Like

The Harmony 650 is on sale for $29 at Best Buy today. Fantastic offering, excellent remote.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-harmony-650-8-device-universal-remote-silver/9837565.p?skuId=9837565

harmony650

1 Like

This is a great remote. I have 2 of them and at that price, it’s a steal. I think I paid $40 or $50 for mine. The only caveat is that it goes through batteries faster than conventional remotes, about every 3 months or so, but I buy them at Costco and always have lots of spares laying around.

1 Like

Yes, great price, people pay that much for a Sideclick! And more so, for generic remotes and the RCA & GEs of the world. I use rechargeable NMH batteries on mine (and on other Harmony remotes), and get long life from them. Got my first one at a Walmart for $39, thought that was great. Picked up two of these yesterday (for friends).

Greetings. I’ve been lurking here for a while but this post motivated me to create an account. I’ve been using a Harmony remote for most of the last 10 years. I have a 720 which was a special model originally made for Costo. When I bought it, it was available on Amazon. Right after buying our Tablo Dual 64, we bought a new Roku Premier+, which would not add to the Harmony 720. We replaced it with a 665. I liked the screen on the 720 better than the 665. But the buttons on the 665 just feel better. The only thing I wish the 665/650 had was a rechargable battery. That’s the thing about the 720 I really miss. Otherwise I love the 665 as much as the 720. I have not noticed any issues with the batteries yet.

When you read online that Harmony remotes don’t work with Roku, it’s because people don’t understand the difference between Infrared remotes and Wireless. Roku Streaming sticks use WiFi. The lower end Harmony remotes (like the 650/665) use Infrared, so they cannot be used to control Roku Streaming sticks. But it works just fine with my Premier+.

1 Like

Yes, I’m using both the 650 and Ultimate One with Roku Premiere+. As a bonus, when you add the Premiere + to the remote, it automatically populates shortcuts for Vudu, Hulu, Crackle, Amazon, Pandora, Sling TV and others. I’m getting about six months battery time on my 650, the Ultimate One sits in a charging cradle on the table, so battery levels have never been an issue with it.

I get these from Best Buy. Get a whole brick of 48 for $9.89, but they often go on their “Deal of the Day”, where I’ve picked this up for $6.99 a few times.

Is this BB USA?

Yes. I’m on their spam list for Deal of the Day. This deal has popped up three times in the past year, and for AAA batteries as well. Each time it’s been six or seven dollars.

I use to love my harmony remotes. But once the remote got more then 35 buttons and took a PC to setup and manage I decided I really didn’t need a remote that could control a star ship.

But that was a good price.

1 Like

Not all star ships perform well with Logitech remotes. “Bird of Prey”, for example are the worst (those Klingons were pretty sloppy in their design & execution). All Federation star ships prior to the Excelsior class work well with just a few minor exceptions. Romulan and Kazon ships are easiest to set up. Stay away from the Borg though, they completely assimilate your remote and you have to go buy a new one.

2 Likes

The Reliant is especially easy to control. You just enter one code and it gets you full control of the whole ship from anywhere.

We will all be doing the environment a favor if we use Rechargeable batteries!