Gettablo.com -- Free Lifetime Guide? Is it a legit Tablo site?

If you have an original lifetime sub with multi units and one of those OG units burn up can one of these be swapped into the original lifetime sub. Or maybe you don’t need to.

This is 100% legit. Just got mine yesterday and it was a BARGAIN. Got the Moho Arc Pro antenna ($79) and the 128G Tablo ($99) for $99 total. Plus, the code they gave me for the guide doesn’t seem to expire. It changed it from “30 day trial” to “subscription active.”

If you are shopping THIS is the deal!

Eddie

I concur. I just got mine yesterday, and after I set up the 1TB QUAD Tablo, I easily applied the activation code they gave me for lifetime guide subscription. I originally entered my serial number with a leading space because that is what it looked like in the suggested format. When I refreshed my subscription on the Tablo, it still showed up as “1 month trial”. Fortunately I went back to account.tablotv.com and did a “Replace device”, got rid of the leading space in the serial number, and voila! Everything is working and I have lifetime guide.

So I’m trying to understand why Tablo is offering this incredible deal, and the only thing I can come up with is that ATSC 3.0 is going to be big sometime in 2023/2024, so these tablos will just be door stops if Tablo doesn’t get rid of them now while they still have good value.

I would say ATSC 3.0 will be “big” in 2027 or even later.

IMHO, there is a different reason. I think it makes the platform more appealing. There’s still quite a few people out there (believe it or not) paying USD$200+ a month (not including Internet fees) for “cable”, and many are finally getting sick of it. But there are more choices now with regards to OTA with DVR. This makes Tablo a very viable option cost wise.

With that said, OTA wise, content is becoming “less” (talking new top tier content). Local sports however is still very much a thing (knowing that the lion share of subscription costs are for/to ESPN).

Interesting times. Lots of variables. Lots of unknowns.

“Top tier” content may become more interesting as broadcasters figure out how to “monetize” their ATSC 3.0 content beyond old school advertising revenue. But it may make OTA unbearable, we’ll see.

Everything will be MPEG4 long before 3.0 is anything.

Interesting. I see no high value in doing that (mpeg4) as it’s not a bridge or anything. It’s expense for very little gain (in fact, really no gain).

To transition to ATSC 3.0 broadcasters need spectrum. The FCC auctioned off any available RF. So broadcasters could lighthouse ATSC 1.0 on RF’s as mpeg-4. You can jam more channels on a RF if you are using mpeg-4. Freeing up RF’s for ATSC 3.0 and 4K broadcast.

1 Like

As I said will not be long before every channel is 4.

It appears they now own Tablo. The future of TV is up in the air - The Verge

I believe antenna man said mpeg4 could carry more stations in the same bandwidth. That sounds correct to me and he is usually in point.

1 Like

Perhaps true, but it’s not just Tablo tuners that won’t handle it. Pull this trigger and shoot yourself in the foot. That is, “a bridge to nowhere”.

Sounds like it was part of the 1.0 standard but not adopted by all tuners. I hear it’s hit and miss. Obviously a miss for Tablo. I would love to get an idea of what percentage of tuners support mpeg4.

I don’t think the tuner actually cares what the codec(mpeg-2 or mpeg-4) is. But tablo use to use the pixelworks solution for video processing and it probably does. And whether some of the older or even newer CPU’s support mpeg-4 is unknown.

When you can’t separate the tuner from the rest of the device it’s a distinction without a difference unless a firmware upgrade is possible.

Yep, that’s why non compatible devices receive signal fine and have audio just no video.

Not really. Network tablo’s use the CPU to transcode mpeg-2 to H.264 other products just pass the mpeg-2 on to any STB for processing, if any, and playback.

I refer you to my prior post because I can’t separate the tuner from the CPU.

I can. Other products don’t use the maxlinear tuner and a completely different CPU. They don’t need the pixelworks software stack or functionality API’s.

I also have an OG model and if I remember correctly it may have a maxlinear tuner but it used a panasonic demodulator.

Then as Mitch Hedberg said “Cut 'em up!”

I’m just saying such a statement would not have flown originally. Tablo is very very confusing now. Half of the KB makes zero sense in light of their full product line..

Just thought of this today, but I wonder if this is just another initiative like https://www.thefreetvproject.org that is a result of E.W. Scripps acquiring Nuvyyo last year…

2 Likes