Found a way to copy recordings to Windows and play them

yep… Do you get the same for an HD show?  Maybe we’re talking apples vs. oranges on the time to copy?

Of course even a 480p show I believe is stored in whatever format you said (e.g. 720 is the default) on the Tablo… but still…

Oh true , I am doing 720P and an hour show takes around 5-10 so yea, sounds about the same

I am attempting to read a WD 1TB drive with the Paragon driver installed. The drive is using only about 10% capacity. My windows 7 machine seems to run out of system resources to read this drive. Then Paragon extfs crashes. Anybody else experience this?

I am desperate to recover some 40+ recordings from a drive which Tablo no longer recognizes. It seems a coincidence that this occurs the moment I installed the latest firmware from Tablo. Anybody care to comment?

A couple of thoughts;

Maybe it’s the Paragon driver? Try another? http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

Virus check? USB devices are targeted by certain viri and infected hosts; e.g. your Windows 7 machine. It’s only a thought.

Try connecting the USB device and use the Windows 7 disk management utilities to at least check to see if the disk could be formatted. Yes, I know you want to recover the 40 recordings. But if it can’t be formatted maybe it’s bad?

Try reading the drive from a Linux machine? Either Virtualbox (with the USB additions? if they are still required?) or a Live CD.

@CC_Rider, is there a local Linux Users Group in the area? Usually, they are more than willing to help out. Sort of removes the whole Windows extfs equation at that point.

I installed the paragon drivers so I could migrate my data from one hdd to another. Everything is working fine in that regard. However, when I installed the drivers, my Logitech mouse and keyboard both immediately began to act up. Anyone else dealing with this issue? Any known solutions? Once the data has been fully migrated, I plan to uninstall the drivers. I hope that will fix the problem.

It could be that paragon installs USB drivers that conflict with your keyboard/mouse own drivers.

Try reinstalling the drivers that came with your Logitech hardware. If you don’t have it you can always download it from the Logitech support sote.

So all will know the risks and pitfalls, my HDD has gone bust as a result of trying to do the data migration. I just bought a 4TB HDD. I’ve had it less than two weeks. Now the HDD is giving me trouble, not to mention I have lost the ability to watch any of my recordings. I reached out to TABLO support, and their response was, we cannot support you(see below):

"Tablo Support (Tablo)

May 26, 1:33 PM

Hi David,

I’m very sorry to hear that you’ve had some issues migrating the data to your new drive. Unfortunately, we don’t currently support or this use case.

We don’t recommend using the work-around mentioned in the forums for reasons like this. Primarily, your mileage may vary when using third-party solutions. The issue we’ve often seen is that (even with app support) when a Windows machine touches the Ext4 filing system, it can damage the files on the drive and cause corruption in the blocks.

This is primarily why we do not recommend doing this - the risk involved is too high. At this time, we don’t have a way of migrating the data for you. I sincerely apologize, David.

Thanks,

_David _
Tablo Support
Monday-Friday 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM ET

Tablo Support (Tablo)

May 26, 1:29 PM

Requests #18007, #18008 were closed and merged into this request.

David Murphy

May 26, 12:11 PM

I started using Tablo with a 1TB HDD about a year ago. I finally filled up the HDD after deleting all of the unwanted content. I purchased a new 4TB HDD to increase my storage capacity. I wanted to migrate the shows from the old HDD to the new one. One of the community forums said I could do this by downloading the Paragon ExtFS drivers to access the data on the HDDs. This seemed to work well initially. I installed the drivers, which allowed me access to the data. I copied only a few of the shows from the old HDD to the new one, as a test. Those shows played correctly with the new HDD installed. Once I saw that the test was successful, I started to migrate the remaining shows from the old HDD to the new one. That is when disaster struck. Apparently, the drivers are very finicky. About half way through the download, the HDD timed out. After this happened, I decided to copy all of the data to my PC instead. Then I deleted the data from the new HD which had previously copied, and started the download again from my PC to the 4TB HDD again fresh. It showed that all of the data copied correctly this time, but afterward, I couldn’t get the Tablo to read the HDD anymore. Someone else on the community forum had experienced a similar issue. They were able to resolve the issue by resetting the Tablo. I connected the old 1TB HDD so I could attempt this repair. In the end, the Tablo resetting only accomplished one thing. It wiped the memory from the 1TB HDD. Is there a way I can data wipe the 4TB HDD, as it appears the Tablo will no longer read it. I want to use the 4TB HDD. I have all of my data stored on my PC still. I think I can migrate it back to the old drive, but that really serves no useful purpose, as I will simply be back where I started from. I want to reset the 4TB drive, and move the data to it, so that it can serve as my primary HDD. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

David Murphy"

David, I don’t know if this will help. This is how I successfully moved from a 2TB to a 5 TB drive. 2 TB to 5 TB; wish me luck: Success with gparted

You can run Gparted from a Live Linux Distro, such as Ubunu. You can also do a lot of damage running gparted from a live distro. You should check the SMART status of the drive as well prior to trying to “fixing” the partition and formatting. I don’t know about that next step of migrating data off a Windows file system back to the Tablo. Let us know how it goes.

You can install GSmartControl onto the live Linux, if you need.
from a terminal (right click the desktop to open a terminal)
$ sudo echo “deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial universe” | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install gsmartcontrol

I have the opposite problem. I noticed that the 8TB hard drive on my desktop was almost full when it shouldn’t be. Upon investigation I found that the recordings from my Tablo are on the drive. Not sure how they got there but I’m suspicious that it has something to do with the Tablo ripper app. Does anyone know anything about this?

Ripper apps copy from the Tablo to the computer. Where were you expecting them to go?

Does this break the record for a revived post? 5 years is impressive.

1 Like

“Found a way to copy recordings to Windows and play them” was created on “Jul 10, 2014 6:06 pm”
while
“Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings” wasn’t created until “Jul 26, 2015 1:51 pm”

Until after the last past in “May 29, 2016 7:58 pm” This topic didn’t even mention Tablo Ripper.
    2in1 :grey_question:

You have to read some of these old threads and old posts with the understanding that some may actually be excerpts from Nostradamus. Predicting the future.

They even may have even predicted that Firefox Beta 92.0.4515.51-1 would not work with my.tablotv.com.

Sure, we’ll see… as the Mozilla Foundation completely overhauls it’s number convention after it release version 90.0 once it gets through 90.0.XXb beta versions.

Even though it’s not suppose to… Firefox even showed commercial skip messages (I guess it wasn’t working right).

Why mess around with Beta. Go full nerd and dive into Dev and Nightly builds.

And the guy that resurrected the thread hasn’t been back…

I don’t think Tablo provides a download feature let alone an automated download feature.

At some time there had to be a 3rd party app involved. And it may have been still running in the background. Or it had been running and filled up much of the disk a long time ago. That would probably be easy to determine based on the files time stamp plus the actual date of the recording.

This is ridiculous you have to jump through hoops like this. I’m not going to pay $200 or so for a device that doesn’t allow me to do what I want with my recordings easily. Tablo is nice but too constraining. You should check out Channels DVR, getchannels.com. Not as simple to setup as Tablo but very functional. Channels DVR is the best out there.

1 Like

Try Tablo Tools.