Flickering/split screen issue

I checked on a TV with an antenna connection. Didn’t see any issues.

I know this started at least last Friday, as my 11/1 recording of Blacklist has the issue. I don’t record much from NBC.

I think this might be related to the ABC frequency change which happened Tuesday/Wednesday last week. I think that they’re actually sharing a transmitter with NBC temporarily. But I can’t find any official confirmation of which frequencies they’re actually on right now. tvfool and antenna web have the old data, as best I can tell.

@TabloTV - PLEASE put some indication of the actual RF frequency in the scan results screen. Just the web client would be fine.

Thanks for the details! We’ll let you know if we need access to your Tablo to pull some video.

UPDATE - We’ve got access to a few Tablo DVRs in the affected area and will be reviewing video this afternoon to identify/confirm the issue with this broadcaster. Stay tuned!

1 Like

I am in the 33936 area and am having the same issue with wbbh (nbc). It started last thursday night after rescanning because of ABC frenquency change.

UPDATE #2 re: WBBH in Ft. Myers, FL

We have confirmed the source of the picture issue with WBBH is the exact same thing we saw happening with CBS in Phoenix in September.

The crux of the issue is a missing parameter in the broadcast stream.

We’ve emailed the team at WBBH and hope to hear back from them soon.

3 Likes

I live in 33904. Also having problems with the local NBC station. How complicated is this for the station to fix? Is it something we can expect soon?

Last time around the Phoenix team was able to implement the fix quite quickly.

We’re hoping to speak with the team at WBBH this afternoon to talk about next steps.

Stay tuned!

Hey @beaucop1, @kathyeck, @FlyingDiver, @Jimhyer, @bravo

We just heard from the team at WBBH. They have made some tweaks that may have patched this issue up.

Can anyone take a peek and let us know how things look?

I’m not seeing the issue anymore. I’ll watch for a bit more and report if there’s any change.
:grinning:

1 Like

Awesome! Glad to hear it @FlyingDiver .

Can you also do a quick test recording for us and let us know if you see any issues? I don’t think there would be any problem, but always good to double check!

Did a 2 minute recording. No artifacts.

1 Like

Thanks @FlyingDiver!

If anyone else sees anything different, let us know!

I also confirm that it looks good. Awesome response Tablo!

1 Like

All looks good here too. Watched live and recorded for a few minutes. The issue seems resolved. Thanks!

1 Like

Just checked my Tablo and it all looks good. Thanks Tablo for such quick responce.

1 Like

@TabloTV
Interesting that this problem is something that the broadcaster can easliy fix with just a tweak.
Do you know, technically, what is happening with the broadcast signal when this problem occurs?
The geek in me would like to know the details :smiley:

From what we can see on our end, it’s a missing parameter called ‘picture structure’. In regular 1080i broadcasts the parameter called ‘field’ is always present for the ‘picture structure’ parameter.

In both cases this parameter was missing.

Since the the tools/interface we use is not the same as what the broadcasters use on their end, it’s not clear exactly what checkbox/switch isn’t quite right.

But to be fair to them, their video monitoring equipment does not transcode, so they’d never know that this is happening unless someone (like us or another customer using transcoding hardware) notifies them.

Thank you for the info.
I guess it goes without saying that digital TV broadcasting today is not as simple as it was in the days of analog TV.
Thanks again.

@beaucop1, @kathyeck, @FlyingDiver, @Jimhyer, @bravo

The team at WBBH let us know that they switched back to their main encoder yesterday and for part of today… Is everything still looking right?

It’s broken again.

1 Like

Just sent you DM; we’d like to take a quick look.