FireTV Stuttering Issue

Looking forward to it!

I assume it will affect the player on the iPhone web app as well? FF has not been the nice 30 sec jump like the other apps.

@TabloTV, Well I hope the new FireTV app doesnā€™t need a live internet connection to find my own Tablo inside my LAN, I should be able to watch LiveTV and/or my own recording without needing a Live internet connection all the time

@lowbee - We are working to add this functionality. Not sure if it will make it into this release or not but thatā€™s the plan.

Is there a way to even use FireTV for anything without an internet connection? Roku works just fine, but my FireTv is a brick if my internet is down.

The answer to your question is YES. If you install an alternate launcher like the ā€œFirestarterā€, then you can use it to launch Kodi/XBMC (even when there is NO internet connection) then it will allow you to watch any files you have on your internal network.

Besides, the Live internet requirement is more of a global issue restricting the web app, the android tablet/TV app, etc

Provide and alpha thread so people that want can run nightly builds ā€œat their own riskā€. Youā€™re losing customers. Wives, children, etc. have ZERO patience for stuff like this. Your product is unusable with current code.

ā€œUnusableā€ is a pretty harsh word and obviously untrue. The Tablo is designed to run on cell phones, tablets, computers, and a variety of streaming devices. To call it ā€œunusableā€ means that it wonā€™t work on anything.

It does have stuttering issues with live tv on the FireTv. There are a plenty of ways to workaround that issue until the fix gets released.

1. connect an antenna to the TV itself and watch live TV that way until the issue is resolved (beta comes out next week).
  2. Use another device to watch live TV while you wait.
  3. Pause live TV for a minute and than see if the stuttering goes away.
1 Like

I use it just fine with the current code and experience none of the problems that you have. My wife loves the product and is thinking of leaving me for Tablo. So for us, it is most certainly ā€œusableā€ and fulfills our expectations. Tablo has some current issues that they are addressing. I do infer that you are not thrilled to be an early pioneer as Tablo inexorably moves to improve its product. Iā€™m pretty sure that there may be one or two others out there like me that find the product usable and enjoy it, while at the same time looking forward to improvements.

1 Like

I think unusable is valid. I donā€™t watch tv with my cellphone. I donā€™t really like Roku. FireTV is what I have, like, and want to use. They claim FireTV as a supported device. It is NOT usable. Telling people to go use something else is not really an answer. They shouldnā€™t make us wait months. This should have been a quick hotfix.

1 Like

I concur with jdoe - Tablo is usable on 5 different devices for me.

Iā€™ll keep everyone informed how the Fire TV beta testing goes with the brand new player coming.

Hi,

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but where can I find v1.5.0.26 of the player?

Regards

I would not call Tablo on FireTV ā€œunusableā€. I would call it ā€œusable but extremely frustrating. bordering on unusableā€. I have multiple FireTV boxes and sticks in my house, all exhibit the stuttering problem. Putting an antenna on each TV is not the anser to the problem. Pausing Tablo so it can buffer more also does not work. The FireTVs are running on wired and wireless connections, so thatā€™s not the issue.

I purchased Tablo to be able to do what they claim it can do. I didnā€™t make the claims. Now I wish Tablo would get a version of their client software out for the FireTV devices that works. I want that and I want it now.

@TabloTV Can you comment on why a total rewrite was necessary to fix the stuttering issue? Couldnā€™t the dev team have fixed the issue with the FireTV and then gone ahead with the rewrite? That would have quieted down all of the folks in this thread and many more that donā€™t come here. It would have been good customer service and good business.

@sstjean - We did as much work as possible to nail down the stuttering issue without the redo. At the heart of this issue as well as some issues with Chromecast was the original player. Instead of continuing to attempt to patch it we made the decision to get it right and add in some thing weā€™d been wanting to add for a while. Itā€™s taken longer than weā€™d like but it was the right decision to take the time to do it well.

Thanks for the reply.

I completely understand there are times when you have to stop patching bad code, bite the bullet, and get rid of the technical debt. Iā€™d like to recommend a change to your communication policy in light of this. Looking back over this 113 post thread, it would have been great if you had notified the folks in this discussion when you made the decision to stop working on a patch and rebuild the codebase from scratch. I can cut you slack for the time needed for a rewrite. I can also cut you slack for making an effort to patch that didnā€™t work out. What I canā€™t let go by is the lack of transparency. You could have significantly reduced the noise in here by letting us know what was going on. Now you have a thread in your Support forum that shows your operation in the worst possible light.

Iā€™m a firm believer that mistakes are inevitable and necessary for us to get better. I hope that this conversation helps justify a more transparent communication policy going forward.

Thanks again for clarifying the event stream. Iā€™m looking forward to the new update.

When you say fire tv users, are you including fire tv STICK users in the group?

Can you provide an eta? If not, when do you think the updated tablo app and firmware will be released for the Fire TV Stick?

Thanks.

The Fire TV app is the same for the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. When the update gets released it will be for both devices.

What is the status for the update for Fire? Wish I had checked this thread before buying a Fire TV box. I thought it was just the slower stick trying to cope, with all the stuttering.

I do have other uses for the stick.

But, if there is a thread that discusses this update, can you link to it here? Iā€™d like to follow it. Also, with Roku, I know when there is an update, but with Fire, Iā€™m not sure how apps get updated, or is it automatic?

It will automatically update but when it is released if the update has yet to be pushed to your box, you can do it manually, see the link below:
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-update-an-app-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

Curious on the statusā€¦ Been watching the threadā€¦ patientlyā€¦

Weā€™re in the first phase of beta testing now. Moving into phase 2 likely this weekā€¦ Weā€™re aiming to get it out to the general public once it clears phase 2.