FireTV Stuttering Issue

[quote=“theuser86, post:80, topic:1618, full:true”]
WD 320 GB internal SATA HDD, Vantec NexStar USB 3.0 HDD enclosure [HDD is powered by separate power adapter][/quote]

Humm…I think your HDD setup could be the biggest contributing factor of your success with FireTV stick. Try a USB-self-powered HDD and tell us what you see.

p.s. I use a Tablo “approved” 1TB USB3.0 Seagate HDD and I have LiveTV stuttering issue with video player v1.6.3.0 but NOT v.1.5.0.26.

Sometimes, I notice when I am recording a program and start watching the same program 15 minutes later when Tablo is both reading (watching the recording) and writing (recording the program) the HDD at the same time, I get occasional stuttering with watching recording shows too. Weird, NONE of these stuttering problem show up if I use video player v1.5.0.26

@theuser86, can you tell us what is the RPM of your internal HDD ? I suspect your powered HDD is spinning faster than my USB-self-powered HDD

The drive is nothing fancy. It is a 7200 rpm internal SATA HDD. A 5400 rpm drive should be more than fast enough to read and write a 10 Mbps stream (1080p).

The fact the original player works well for you likely hints it is a software player problem.

Actually I can state that I have personally seen playback issues on multiple devices and the only thing I can actually even watch the Tablo on with a reasonable expectation that it will actually work is my Macbook Pro and I’m pretty sure I didn’t buy the Tablo so I could watch TV on my laptop all the time.

HTPC (2 of them) - Playback abysmal and had to jump through hoops to even watch a show
FireTV - Stutter Issue

Sorry but I would tend to agree with the disenchanted. The device is just not ready for primetime and unless I see the ever elusive update before my free guide subscription runs out I’ll be selling mine and moving on to a device that I don’t feel like throwing out a window every time I try and use it.

I hear that Comcast, Cox, DirectTV, and TimeWarner have some nice hardware. Hundreds of channels to choose from, built in DVR, pretty good reliability. Heck, most of 'em even offer deals if you bundle phone and Internet. You don’t even have to buy the hardware–they are more than willing to lease it to you monthly. You can save a ton of money by going this route. You won’t have to pay for a Guide subscription from Tablo; you can even ditch the high monthly fees from Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon Prime.

@darryldale

Such a global issue with playback is just bizarre and definitely not normal behaviour for any Tablo. It sounds like a networking issue.

I would open up a Support Ticket with Tablo directly. They likely can give you step by step help that you need.

The Tablo plays back smoothly on 2 HTPCs, 2 Roku 3s, iPhone 6, iPad Air, Android tablet and now Fire TV Stick. So the Tablo works if it is across so many devices.

I will admit I had buffering issues (not stuttering issues) when I first got my Fire TV Stick but my old router was only Wireless N 2.4 GHz. I upgraded my router and put the Stick on the 5 GHz band and my issues on the Fire TV Stick went away. The router is great and it was only $50, TL-WDR3600.

I’m sure your issues can be resolved if you work on it - good luck!

Now that’s just crazy talk :wink:

Reality is I am being a bit hard on them and will wait for the FireTV app update to come out before making a final decision.

The funny thing about fees is that I don’t consider the $7.99 a month I pay to Netflix to be high or unreasonable. In fact if you compare the $7.99 a month you pay for it and all the content it provides you with access to and the $5.99 a month for guide data… (well I don’t think I need to finish that sentence).

I know that if my guide data expires before the FireTV update comes out I will not be paying for it until I can be sure that I’m not going to have any issues. In fact I have been holding off on purchasing two more FireTV devices for my kids rooms until I can be sure the issue is going to be resolved.

1 Like

He was being sarcastic, in order to emphasize a point about alternatives.

1 Like

The sarcasm wasn’t lost on me I was just trying to make a point as well…

Hey TabloSupport… stop saying later this week or early next week when you can’t live up to it. You have said (in this thread0 more than once when it would be released to fix the issue, and each time the expectation you set was not met. Again I cannot really watch my local TV using the firetv front end. Stopping my guide subscription because I can’t really watch anything without constant interruption either (I’m paying for that)?

F.I.X.I.T.

I’m not sure I follow you. I read back through the thread and never once found an instance where anyone from TabloTV said a release date. They said going into testing this week or next, we’re making this a priority, we think we have a fix, etc., but never said we are releasing it on a date. Your expectations are set just a little too high, I think.

I’m not minimizing your issues, but I use Amazon FireTV’s on all of my sets, and I have no problems. Occasionally I will get a buffering notice (about once every 3 hours) but I can live it. I had more buffering issues until I backed my resolution down to 720P(Roku).

Like you, I am hoping the new release will let me turn the resolution back up, but I can wait until they get it right.

I have several emails like this.

" May 25, 11:16 AM

Hi there,

We’ll be pushing out an update to the Fire TV to address some of the stuttering/buffering behaviour shortly. Can you try putting your Fire TV on Ethernet during the interim? This would help us narrow down whether or not this is a connectivity issue.
"

3 weeks later. I have other emails that go back a few months. I have no problem with what I said. They are dragging their heels and need to F>I>X>I>T.

I think he is asking where they gave you a hard date for release. “Shortly” isn’t the same as “next week”.

@philsoft think I am going to stop responding to this thread; this is twice that you have had to come to my defense, thank you sir.

I’m troubled by some of the over the top rhetoric in this thread, but in retrospect I don’t see how me starting a flame war contributes to civility. Some folks are just gonna do what they’re gonna do, I suppose. Tablo can look after themselves.

1 Like

I am disappointed that the FireTv app has not worked right since it was released, and I am seriously considering selling my FireTv box. Despite the higher specs, the FireTV doesn’t appear to be any faster than the Roku and it doesn’t support two of my most used apps (CrunchyRoll and Funimation). I also am not fond of the remote.

I do hope the Tablo folks get this release out soon.

Hi guys - Sorry this has taken longer than we’d like but as I mentioned in another thread we’ve done a total rewrite of the player and added a TON of new functionality which should make everyone happy campers. We’re planning to get it into QA on Monday. Thanks for your patience.

Will it be a normal install on the FireTV instead of having to allow unofficial apps?

@koltasi - It will!

1 Like

Then it will DEFINITELY be worth the wait. Good work.

Is the total rewrite of the player just for the FireTv app, or does it affect other apps as well?

I am glad this will out pretty soon.

It will affect the web app, smartphones, Android tablets, Android TV & Amazon Fire TV. Fire TV users should see the most benefit though.

1 Like