FireTV app feature request

Knowing that the development of a FireTV app is in progress, I thought I start this thread so the developer does not miss out on important feature:

1.  Work with the Wired Ethernet port of Fire TV
2.  Work with the Fire TV remote (i.e. no mouse required) FF and Rewind buttons
3.  Backward compatible to FireTV firmware version 51.1.3.0_513011820 (for rooted devices)
4.  Resume Play feature on Recordings
5.  Dolby Digital and DTS hdmi passthrough

1 Like

Nice list. I love my Fire TV and I’m really looking forward to a Tablo app for it. Watching on the Plex server app is just not the same - and especially since it does not offer resume play or the ability to delete recordings once I’ve watched them. Thanks for starting this thread lowbee.

I am not sure what is wrong on my setup. I am able to see tablo thru plex in my Roku and PC. But my fire tv does not even work with Plex and Tablo. I am able to see the recordings but when I click play it keeps going round and round forever.

So not able to do anything on the box with FireTV and hoping Tablo team will come up with that app

For now, I sideloaded the Tablo Android app on my  Fire TVs.  The app works well enough but you will need a mouse and the tablo app only works when your FireTv is connected via WiFi (hence, feature #1 above)

I installed DroidMote Server on the FireTV and use my smartphone as wireless mouse & keyboard with DroidMote client

+1 … please provide app for FireTV box and FireTV Stick.

+1 ... please provide app for FireTV box and FireTV Stick.
  • 1 bazillion. 

+1 here too. It would be great to be able to use the FireTV stick on a smaller TV in the kitchen

Any updates on the release of an app for the FireTV?

@angus - Sorry, no ETA yet. We’ve been working hard on the Roku revamp and the smartphone web apps but we’ve also been working away in the background on preparations for supporting FireTV. 

When we have more to share we’ll let you all know! 

@TabloTV Thanks :slight_smile:

For now you can use Plex Tablo channel on the FireTV (I think).

If you don’t have a Roku, accessing TabloTV via Plex on FireTV is an option but its far less optimal than using a Roku and definitely not “awesome.”   While Tablo has stated they plan on developing an app for FireTV, as of today it’s vaporware.   I’m not being harsh its just that wishlists and polls don’t change reality.

If you don’t wish to spend monies for a Roku, you can side load Chrome browser on your Fire TV connect a USB keyboard/mouse and access Tablo via web browser.    
If you don't have a Roku, accessing TabloTV via Plex on FireTV is an option but its far less optimal than using a Roku and definitely not "awesome."   While Tablo has stated they plan on developing an app for FireTV, as of today it's vaporware.   I'm not being harsh its just that wishlists and polls don't change reality.

If you don't wish to spend monies for a Roku, you can side load Chrome browser on your Fire TV connect a USB keyboard/mouse and access Tablo via web browser.    

I tried the side loading chrome but the screen does not fit and I am not able to bring the cursor down.

Tablo - though you are making sure Roku app is fine please get something out for FireTV. The general players out there are roku, apple tv, fire tv and now nexus player. I think you will need atleast some basic version running in all these versions. I tried plex but it does not work and keeps givng me MU38 error which I am not able to fix.

to scroll down, you need to hold down the mouse key and drag the cursor/mouse.    To update my above comments, I just sideloaded new TabloTV web app and its better than using Chrome Browser.  

I would like to be able to start watching recordings, in progress, from the beginning.  Not sure if it is because I’m using the plex app, but when I start watching a show that is recorded it plays from the current location, not the beginning.  It seems to also cause problems and I end up having to restart my firetV.

An indicator that a recording is in progress would also help, so I know to wait.

I know this isn’t what you want to hear but TabloTV via Plex on Amazon FireTV isn’t a great experience.    Get a Roku, sideload Tablo web app or ask TabloTV when they will have a native FireTV app.

The only thing keeping me from getting FireTV is there is no TabloTV app for it.  Please work on this one.  It should be similar to any other Android app, correct?

@Frank00 - While we would intend for it to have the same look & feel, FireTV works in a d-pad environment while the current Tablo Android app is designed for a touch-screen environment. Long story short, it’s not as easy as it sounds, but this is on our to-do list. 

Well the Amazon Fire TV app couldn’t come soon enough… seems using plex now I keep getting “unable to resolve video for playback”… rendering the tablo totally useless to use on a tv.

*rendering the Fire TV useless on a TV