Even with FW update Roku still freezing and rebooting?

Hmm, don’t know about this. Tablo works fine for me. I just wish I could keep Sling TV from freezing on my Roku 4. Get my point. Roku 7.0 firmware is causing all kinds of different problems for different people. BTW, I am running at 10Mbps on the Tablo.

Have you watched any sports from ESPN on SlingTV? The reason I’m asking is that I had SlingTV for a month (30 day trial period) and found watching a football game frustrating. It was not entirely smooth, sometimes jerky. How is your experience watching sports on SlingTV?

Yeah it seems to be fine for me.

ESPN live sports + AMC during the walking dead premieres are known to be hit or miss for Sling. The demand seems to take a toll on their servers and result in poor end user performance.

Yes, but the Roku 4 issue is firmware related not system demand related.

Since the recent Roku firmware update my Tablo app is now working again with no issues :smile:
Now if they will just add more sorting options like “most recent”, it would be perfect!

Mine is working well too. There is such a simple satisfaction in seeing it work the way I always always assumed it should. So yay Tablo! Or is it yay Roku?

I’ll enjoy it, as long as it lasts!

@MrMark - Definitely yay Roku… Although we have more good stuff coming from our end for Roku!

Hurry, Christmas is almost here!

You might want to search for any of these:

apple support for flash
apple android attack
apple drops google maps
apple drops native youtube

@TabloTV, have you guys written anything that explains exactly what was causing the trouble with Tablo via Roku, and why a fix from Roku was the best solution? I’d really like to understand what was going on.

The CEO touches briefly on the core issues in an interview from a couple weeks ago. It was something to the effect that Roku is difficult to develop to provide the experience they desired and thus they basically had to build their own software on top of the Roku software platform. I can imagine that at that level of software development, there might be some major issues.

There are two components to Tablo working on Roku:

• Roku’s firmware for its box
  • Tablo’s Channel software

We write Tablo’s channel software using Roku’s programming language called Brightscript based on their development guidelines.

However, sometimes Roku’s firmware updates for their boxes can cause negative interactions with the software we write to their parameters. We are pushing the leading edge of what Roku can do and we use a lot of features that their biggest channels (like Netflix and Hulu) do not because we need to stream live content.

Based on the sequence of events that we’ve seen over the last few months, a Roku firmware update that happened very close to the same time as one of our channel updates and caused a lot of negative interactions. Many other channels saw this as well, especially those that used Roku for streaming live events and those requiring frequent use of FFWd controls.

We did our best to work with Roku to resolve this providing a lot of detail about what we and our customers were seeing. It seems though that ESPN (with their deep pockets and large user base) stomping their feet along with other channels like us finally got this latest update with the Roku firmware fix pushed.

Hopefully this means we can get back to the status quo for Roku. It is the most widely deployed streaming box and has an attractive price point so we definitely want to and plan to keep developing for this platform moving forward.

4 Likes

So you’re saying you wont be abandoning support for the Roku, as suggested by some of the armchair business analysts that like to post here.

Shocker.

1 Like

Not at all. Roku will always be a very important partner for us and we have lots of updates in the works for our channel.

2 Likes

Do you mean: 1) in general; 2) by Tablo users; 3) both; 4) none of the above. (I used to be a teacher.)

It’s actually both. Industry reports show that Roku is still leading in their category and our surveys show that it’s the most widely & often used Tablo device as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to explain @TabloTV. If whatever it was that was causing so much grief for Tablo users happened to be the same thing that was causing trouble for ESPN, I actually find that to be rather encouraging, because while Roku might not even care about what’s bothering me, as you observed, it would be a lot harder for them to ignore what’s bothering ESPN fans.

I just received my 4-channel Tablo and tried to set it up for maximum resolution. This did not work due to constant reloads whether live or recording. The solution for ME was to set BOTH the Tablo and my two Roku2’s to 720p resolution, So far I have not had any cliches or reloads of any kind. I can fast forward without any problems. Just as a caveat, I tried Tablo on my low cost (cheap) Acer 7" tablet running Android. It came up flying playing everything. The only thing I found so far is that I need a fairly strong wireless signal or I get reloads. Hope this helps…

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that, at this point, the Tablo/Roku situation is stable enough that if one is still experiencing difficulties with LPW, that the most likely cause is network bandwidth issues. HD video does require significant bandwidth, and of course 1080p requires more bandwidth than 720p, so running 720p certainly could be a work-around for those who are right on the edge.

With that in mind I would recommend a wired network connection for the Tablo itself, as that eliminates at least half of the potential bandwidth issues. I have always used the “HD 1080 - 8 Mbps” setting, and at that setting, I’ve found that I can get away with rather mediocre Wi-Fi for my Roku . It takes a little longer to start streaming, but that’s about the worst of it since the recent Roku firmware update.