Even with FW update Roku still freezing and rebooting?

Um, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tablo-SPVR4-01-NA/37938466 - I had this here before you removed that comment

Network has a huge amount to do with Tablo functionality and no 2 are the same.

But I don’t see how one can expect a product to work with so many things and not have some issues from time to time.

Personally before I even thought about buying a Tablo I looked at the forum to see if there were issues and looked at all other solutions. Tablo by far does more than the others for what I needed. And up until a few months back Roku and Tablo worked great together.

And as far as your Roku is gonna buy Tablo, highly doubtful and the responsiveness Roku gives customers is WAY lower than Tablo’s responsiveness, so I certainly hope not :wink:

2 Likes

You guys have a different logic than I do. The only channel not working on the Roku was the Tablo, and somehow, that’s a Roku issue? I’d like to see a technical explanation of how that is even possible. Maybe a Roku update could make it more tolerant of whatever the root Tablo problem actually was, but that is not necessarily the best (or most permanent) solution to the actual problem.

I think Roku support is much worse than Tablo support, so I’m not looking forward to an acquisition…other than the fact that we could probably count on the two products working together at that point…but I’d be surprised if that would be good for compatibility with any other streaming device.

Ha! That actually made me laugh out loud! Thank you for that.

Others as well as myself have said that we have had issues with other channels. I personally had issues with Netflix, HBO, Amazon as well as Tablo. But I allso said Tablo seemed to be worse than the others.

Those are no longer issues as well that I can tell so far. But only time will tell.

1 Like

You must be joking. The Roku community is laced with complainnts from users about all manner of channels not working. In fact the latest Roku build that some have suggested fixes the Tablo issues some were having wasn’t aimed at Tablo at all but was aimed at WatchESPN - just the most recent example of a “Roku channel not working.” Say what you want but maybe try to be accurate?

2 Likes

You know, I used to make my living as a network administrator. I have installed, maintained and administered some pretty big networks in my days. And it need not be mysterious. I never encountered any device or application on any business network that was anywhere near as frustrating to make work as my Tablo.

No doubt there are a lot of home networks that are not built all that well, and no doubt Wi-Fi adds a whole extra level of uncertainty, but the biggest problem with making Tablo work is that there are no built-in diagnostic tools. So all that anyone can do, including the support guys, is to guess.

Any number of sub-$50 wireless routers have infinitely better configuration and administrative interfaces than Tablo. It’s typically easy to observe the signal quality of wireless clients, it’s easy to see the status of both the wired WAN and the wired LAN. You can open ports, close ports, redirect ports, turn the RF power up and down, check the temperature of the device…all kinds of useful and handy stuff.

If a $300 (before hard drive) Tablo had a fraction of the functionality of a network device that costs one-sixth as much, just think how much better it would be for everyone concerned. I simple web interface would be a great starting point. Then add signal strength and signal quality monitoring for the ATSC signal, as well as Wi-Fi. Might as well make it so that temperature can be monitored too, because the thing does run pretty hot, and that information could be very useful. Who knows how many problems could be solved with these simple diagnostic tools alone…(?) And there are so many more possibilities.

2 Likes

Yes, if Tablo was a really mature product I might tend to agree with what you said about the different tools and functionality it could have. But remember this is a very new product and they are working on things to make it better. But it is not a network tool, it is a streaming device and they have done a pretty good job of making it work with many platforms. When I bought it they had browser, a poorly designed Roku interface and ipad as the main platforms and in a little over a year they sure have gone pretty far with this little box.

We can all complain about something it currently doesn’t do, but they are a small company doing their best ( I am sure some would disagree with that ) and I think they have done well.

2 Likes

I was just relating my own personal experience with my two Roku’s, and I didn’t intentionally write anything that wasn’t accurate. But for the record, I haven’t tried WatchESPN.

I do watch Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Showtime Anytime, HBO Go, PBS, YouTube, Twitch, and a bunch of others, though. And seriously, I have never had any significant problem with any of them.

I think I have to stop posting tonight though…the thread seems to be kind of blowing up and I can’t keep up…and you guys are probably tired of reading my post by now anyway!

I removed it because when I checked the other night, they were gone - and there’s been some white-knighting going on - my comment was incorrect, that’s why I edited it - within 2 minutes of posting :wink:

It’s not a “from time to time” thing - and again, I was told my network was likely the issue… and trust me… it wasn’t the issue. That’s sort of the point. There’s no need to make excuses for any of this - It’s all there. Tablo releases wave after wave of firmware to solve a problem with its interaction with Roku. Tablo gives Roku top spot in advertising WHILE the problem gets worse. Tablo cannot explain problem. Tablo blames problems on users.

It’s a moot point now… except that Tablo acted unethically in my opinion. You can be “responsive” and unethical - these are not mutually exclusive.

Honestly Adam, from all your posts I feel you just like to argue. But hey, to each our own…

That is my last post :wink:

4 Likes

And I feel like you like to white-knight for an incomplete product, by an unethical company that has some explaining to do - meanwhile thousands upon thousands of dollars and hours were wasted. There is no such thing as a DVR power-user.

So, we agree to disagree. I’m glad the problems with Roku appear to be corrected.

Great, what am I gonna do with that new cape?

1 Like

Burial shroud for the Roku 3? :smile:

Where talking Tablo and Roku here, not Apple excellence. Reality check advised.

You’re having good results therefore the many sore losers who are not should continue to man the trenches? Funny,I don’t recall having to sign a loyalty oath at point of purchase.

As if Apple walks on water? They can’t even get past their long-standing squabble with Adobe. Either that, or they would prefer to serve themselves instead of their millions of customers. And now they’re sideways with Google too. Maybe we need to come up with a better role model, because you know what they say about absolute power. Personally, I might prefer a highly responsive company. If others agree, that would bode well for both Tablo and Roku…assuming they can be highly responsive.

With Apple it has always been the “Apple Way” or the Highway!!! But I use two of their Airport Extreme routers and they are fantastic.

Apples and oranges (pun intended). OK, but then pity the billions worldwide who’ve been duped into making it the richest entity of it’s kind in the history of the industry. I like my Tablo - a lot, but there’s the majors and the minors and one hit out of every three times at bat is considered great. “sideways with Google”?

Damn them, always getting the final word and leading where others follow. I’ll go with “my way or the highway” when it leaves the other travelers gasping for air. Innovation, innovation, innovation. It’s what separates the men from the boys.

Apple hasn’t innovated worth a damn in years. Lets list the things they have “released” that are basically knockoffs of existing techs

• Apple Pay - I’ve been using Google Wallet since 2011
  • Apple Watch - smart watches have been out for a while now, with Android Wear having been out for a year prior to Apple Watch
  • Ipad Pro - Hi, the surface pro would like a word with you. Oh and btw, the surface pro is using a full OS, not a mobile OS, you should try it next round
  • “Larger” phones (iphone 6+) - the galaxy note (the first “phablet”) launched in 2011

Sorry but Apple hasn’t innovated in quite some time. Refinement, polish and marketing? Yeah they have that nailed down. But they definitely aren’t leading the way like they used to.

2 Likes