Even with FW update Roku still freezing and rebooting?

I had very few problems prior to this latest firmware update 2.2.8 and now pwl message is a constant problem. Thanks guys for fing it up. Fix it please!!!

Hey folks - If youā€™re still having issues, please touch base with us. There may be other pieces in the puzzle that we can give you a hand with: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Fill out a support ticket as @TabloTV requested. The Roku playback issue does not look like an easy fix. It is hard telling how long the issue is going to remain for those that have it (not everyone does). If you are looking for immediate relief you may look into picking up a $50 Nexus Player as many of us have, or a Nvidia Shield. Both play back without the FF and LPW problems that plague some of the Rokus. Both options would be less expensive than going back to DirecTV.

1 Like

Same problem here. I am a new user and so far Tablo isnā€™t living up to my expectations. New problem started on the 10th. CBS recordings are unviewable for some reason. CBS comes in clear on TVs only connected to the over the air antenna. This tells me itā€™s a Tablo issue.

Gasp! Suggest you take nicholb advice and go for Nexus player. A $50 investment could bring happy results as it has for me and many others suffering from Roku shlock and awe.

2 Likes

ā€œWife starts throwing a tantrumā€. Throw the Roku instead.

1 Like

Ditch the Roku. Use Nexus, nVidia Shield (best), or Amazon Fire TV.

3 Likes

Iā€™m curious why the thinking is that the problem is with the Roku and not Tablo? Roku works well on all of the other channels. Itā€™s just the Tablo that doesnā€™t run smoothly.

Roku is the problem because it works flawlessly on Android TV, iOS, Web, and FireTV. Itā€™s not a coincidence. Roku has slow performance and relatively poor developer tools. There would be 1/10 the amount of negative posts on here if people stopped using Roku.

2 Likes

Here is the reason I know of. Around last April if you had a roku 3 (4200), roku released the 3332 firmware upgrade. Since these roku updates a rolling updates by accident this happened to be a around the same time as a tablo firmware update.

I didnā€™t pick up the tablo update. Before the roku update I had very few if any problems using the roku. After the 3332 update, which I received in the middle of the day, the reboots were immediate.

Now it could be that the tablo roku app was ill behaved and was just lucky and after the roku firmware update a newer roku runtime exposed a tablo problem. But before the roku 7.0 firmware update, the various roku firmware updates had lessened the roku reboots.

This is essentially the same as saying that Tablo is the problem because Roku works with everything except Tablo. Somehow all of the other content providers manged to develop working Roku apps using the same developer tools that are available for writing the Tablo app. I think it would also be fair to say that there would be 1/10 the amount of negative posts on here if Tablo worked as well with Roku as all of the other Roku ā€œchannelsā€ work.

Whether anyone likes Roku as a company or not doesnā€™t really matter. For what its worth, I donā€™t like Roku as a company myself, but that does not alter the simple fact is that Roku is the original streaming device. No other device will ever attain that status. And according to Parks, Roku still dominates the market: Parks Associates Report
So any streaming service or device that hopes to succeed in the marketplace would be well advised to make their product work with Roku.

And perhaps more importantly, there is the fact that Tablo is advertised to work with Roku. Buying decisions have already been made based upon those advertising claims. A person who already owns multiple Roku devices would not buy Tablo expecting to have to have to replace all of his Roku devices in order to make it work. It is advertised as working, so that is what one would expect it to do - work as advertised.

Every time a Tablo owner has a problem viewing via Roku, that hurts Tabloā€™s value. And it probably doesnā€™t hurt Rokuā€™s value all that much because everyone who uses a Roku every day already knows that it works just fine with any number of other sources. They will blame it on Tablo because Tablo is the only thing that doesnā€™t work with it. As I do. The longer the Tablo problems go unresolved, the more it damages Tabloā€™s value. Itā€™s hard to quantify how much the experiences of someone like me hurts Tablo, but I am in a position to advise people. People ask for my advice every day, so if Tablo doesnā€™t work for me, on my Roku, then that experience will be reflected in my advice. And thatā€™s not just about me - itā€™s true, to one extent or another, for everyone who has every tried to use a Tablo with a Roku. There were something like 10 million Roku sales as of around this time last year. I humbly suggest that the solution is to make Tablo work as advertised. And if the development talent cannot be found or afforded, then stop advertising that it works.

2 Likes

And where do you get the idea that Tablo isnā€™t trying to make it work with Roku? In the meantime there are quick and easy alternatives for anyone having problems which means they arenā€™t stuck with either their Roku or the problem.

You are also perpetuating the myth that the Roku is an error free device and that the Tablo is the source of error. Take a look at the official Roku forum - just the first page. Every second thread describes a problem!

4 Likes

Just personal experience, but I have far more Roku problems with WatchESPN and Netflix than I do with Tablo - freezes and reboots. Roku just put out a new Build to their firmware (Vers. 7 build 9044) for beta testers to try to address the widespread WatchESPN issues.

I went to go look at the roku forums. Didnā€™t get passed the first page.

That place is hideous.

2 Likes

WatchESPN is a total garbage experience on Roku right now. I went to watch a football game recently at a friendsā€™ house, and we saw LPW about every 5 minutes. Multiple times it froze and we had to reboot the Roku. Other channels on Roku are quite stable like VUDU, but itā€™s a mixed bag overall.

Listen guys, Iā€™m not trying to make trouble. Iā€™d just like to see something that gives me good reason to believe that the Tablo channel will actually work at some point. And Iā€™d like to see a commitment as to a time-frame. So far, most of what I am seeing is deflection. Meanwhile the development team is sending out surveys about what new features we want the most. For the record, the new feature Iā€™d like to see the most is Tablo making it all the way through a show without locking up my Roku. And please, letā€™s not get too hung up on Roku because Tablo is not completely trouble-free on any streaming device that I have tried it with. It just so happens that I spent more time trying to watch it with Roku than with anything else.

I have to admit that of the many Roku channels that I watch, WatchESPN is not one of them, so I canā€™t speak to that. I do watch a lot of Netflix, though, and it has been completely trouble-free with my Roku 3. Itā€™s certainly true, though, that I have never gotten any useful answers from Roku support or from their forum.

1 Like

We have a winner.

Maybe you havenā€™t tried the ones that work just fine. (hint, hint)

1 Like

No, Iā€™m sure thatā€™s true. I have an iPhone, an iPad, (3) PS3ā€™s, (2) Rokuā€™s, a Vizio smart TV, a Sony smart TV. and PLEX running on my HTPC. Tablo has no client for five of the ten, a very limited client for PLEX, and of the four devices that Tablo actually does have a full client, none are perfect.

I also have three PCs and a laptop, and while those might be trouble-free, it is spoiled by the fact that Tabloā€™s authentication scheme for the browser client canā€™t handle dynamic IP address changes, let alone multi-WAN environments.

Then nothing to bitch about? Thatā€™s no fun.