Even with FW update Roku still freezing and rebooting?

I think your tolerance is just greater than most of us here. Many of us prefer to record at the highest quality available, and waiting 10 seconds to resume from FF is too long.

You may be right. I should add the 10 second wait after FF or RW is fairly rare. I will start recording at a higher resolution once the bugs are worked out and I get a bigger hard drive. But honestly most of what I record is classic TV so 480 would be good enough. :blush:

I ordered a Nexus after reading this. Hopefully Iā€™ll enjoy watching the Tablo again.

I can assure you, you will. Android TV paired with Tablo is a perfect match.

1 Like

Much better. Quicker startup of playback, no delay after a FF, and no LPW or reboots.

The only thing I do wish the client had that the Roku does is the string of thumbnails when you FF. You only get a single thumbnail on the Nexus. I found it easier to tell when to stop the FF when you can see in the thumbnail string where the show starts back up.

I agree wholeheartedly! The Nexus interface is very similar to the web and is based on HTML. I wish they could make the Roku interface work as smoothly. It is once again a pleasure to watch the Tablo :clap:t2:

2 Likes

It seems too that the issue has gotten progressively worse with each update.

Live TV is completely unwatchable at this point. Play for 30 seconds, restart the stream, play another 10 seconds, restartā€¦play for a minute moreā€¦restart, itā€™s crazy!

Recordings are a little bit better but not by much. Same issues but times they occur are spread further apart and are inconsistent. Started the same recording 3 different times from the beginning and they all choked within the first five minutes. Itā€™s definitely not the recordings either because the times the restart occurs was different every time.

So frustrating. Until this gets resolved our Tablo effectively becomes a dust collector.

British mysteries? PBS.

You should get the string when you play back recordings with your Nexus. Never fails me. CORRECTION. Misunderstood the :ā€œstringā€ for the single view which works fine for me.

My Roku has locked up three times in the past week but not while using it for Tablo. I have to unplug it to reset it. This is happening while simply navigating through the channels. Iā€™ll be watching for the next best deal on a Nexus player if this continues.

Best price I found on the Nexus player was $50 at my local Best Buyā€¦ I think you can now buy them almost anywhere for that price. Itā€™s made a world of difference in my TV watching with Tablo.

3 Likes

I too have been having Roku issuesā€¦

I have a Roku 3 and pretty much anytime we watch anything on Tablo through the Roku a few things will happen

• while watching a show the screen goes black with the word ā€œloadingā€ then the program jumps back about 3 seconds and continues to play

• everything just freezesā€¦ This can happen while watching or most likely will happen will jumping through commercials. Sometimes after 4 -20 seconds everything starts working again properly, other times we have the next issue ā€¦

• The infamous lockup, then Roku auto reboot

We were suffering all these symptoms before the last Tablo update. I was praying that the update would fix them, it has not.

It seems to meā€¦ that everything WAS running much more smoothly for us when we first got our Tablo/Roku set up just over a year agoā€¦ then some time 6 - 9 months ago we started getting the Roku Auto Reboot, then recorded show started disappearing a few months after that, and now we are hereā€¦ I thank Tablo for updating and attempting to improve their product, it is a ā€œfeatureā€ that I appreciate, but I wonder when the issue will finally be solved for me.

+1 on the issues note by @Soren

To add some detail to the ā€œeverything just freezesā€ bullet - for me it manifests as extreme lag. Click a button, wait a minute or so until it catches up. Often since I had been mashing buttons to try to get it to work it gets into a long series of lagged button presses that can only be resolved by pulling power. Now that I can recognize the behaviour, I through a couple of ā€œmenuā€ presses in there to escape out to the Roku home screen eventually. Going back into the Tablo app resolves the issue without reboot, which hints at some sort of software condition in the Tablo app that is causing this particular behaviour.

All I get is a single thumbnail that changes as I FF or RW where as on the Roku there is a string of thumbnails with your current position a little larger.

$50. Best Buy or Walmart on line last time I looked.

Yes Pnearā€¦ mine does that. Tonight while advancing thru commercials it once again just stoppedā€¦ in another instance tonight while advancing through commercials, the screen when black but the audio worked just fine - however I could not pause, stop, go backā€¦ no buttons on the remote seemed to work. So I could hear dialog but no picture. I believe I pulled the plug on the Roku and reset it to continue watching.

It becoming more and more frustrating. When the Roku remote seemingly just stops working all the time do to Tablo tag or freezing issues, my wife starts throwing a tantrumā€¦

1 Like

I was about to post the same thing. I just hooked up my old XD and it seems to be doing just fine. A bit slow here and there, but no problems so far.

Well I havenā€™t been on the community site for a month or so and my old login (not tied to Google/Facebook/etc) is not functioning. Hopefully my forum history is not lost.

Anyway, WOW!

I have been experiencing the EXACT same issues for the last 6-9 months as well. DAILY and constant freezing, Please Waitā€¦loading, rebooting, unable to pause, FF, rewind, and so on without some kind of issue. Iā€™m all hardwired - Roku 3, Tablo 4 Tuner, WD 2 TB HDD, gigabit switch (even swapped this out too).

I just received my Roku 4 about a week ago and was hoping it would solve the issue. No such luck.

As a test tonight during one of the lockups, I ended up rebooting the Roku 4, and I now have my FF, Rewind, Pause, and other options. This makes me think that the problem is with the Tablo app for the Roku.

Just a quick note that Iā€™m recording at the newer option of HD 720P - 5 Mbps (recommended). 6-9 months ago, I was able to record at 1080p with very few issues.

I am so tired of this happening that Iā€™m about ready to go back to DirecTV.

Just to confirm, youā€™ve updated your Tablo to 2.2.8 firmware? It has helped many get of their LPW issues (loading please wait).

Yes, I probably should have included that in my original post. I installed 2.2.8 within a couple days of its release. I had high expectations for it once I read the changelog. Within 30 minutes of installing 2.2.8, I had another LPW message.