Even with FW update Roku still freezing and rebooting?

My framegrabber is attached to active splitter to remove HDCP…I can record anything.

It is very strange to me that the troubles are so inconsistent. For me, Amazon and Netflix are as close to perfect on the Roku as anything is these days. For you, not so much. But why? What is the difference? Amusing that the firmware versions are the same, are there just a whole ton of subtly different hardware versions?

II will say that it occurred to me some time ago that the issue with the Tablo app seems a lot like what I would expect from a memory leak. It starts out working fine, but then it just gets worse with every jump. Sometimes it gets slow, and then even slower before it finally grinds to a virtual halt and/or reboots. This is another case where it would be nice to have some error logging and diagnostics to go on. As it is, it’s just a little magic box that works…until the magic leaks out.

There is a new firmware release of Roku that someone said fixed all their LPW so maybe check that? I just updated about an hour ago but I won’t know for a couple days.

I just updated my Roku streaming stick with the new Roku firmware. So far, it’s working well for me. I watched a half hour show, immediately followed by a 1 hour show, fast forwarding through the commercials. No lockups or reboots. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Well that’s exciting news @Jestep and @lkahhan …do we know the exact version that is supposed to work?

I’ve updated all 4 of my Roku streaming sticks to V7.0 build 9044, and the problem seems to be fixed on all of them (I have two different versions of the streaming stick). Watching a couple of live TV broadcasts in a row just now and no problems observed.

Uncork the champagne bottle :beers:

No, not necessarily. Call it incompatibility and try moving on to NP or Shield as others have done with excellent results, myself included. Use your Roku for other apps although I’ve read complaints about Roku with some others as well.

1 Like

I really wish everyone wasn’t so anxious to abandon Roku. The only problem that I have ever had with my Roku was while watching a Tablo recording. Period. I’m sure somebody, somewhere, is having some other problem with a Roku, but lets keep it in perspective. There are so many things that can go wrong with streaming that it’s almost surprising that it works as well as it does as often as it does. When some new Tablo update causes Android streamers to screw up, will everyone then be as anxious to flee to Roku? I don’t know, but I think it makes more sense to address the actual problem because at some point, it’s like dodging raindrops.

I haven’t checked for/with the new Roku firmware, but I have my fingers crossed. But I have to confess too that with the only problems that I am seeing coming from Tablo, I would be more optimistic if I had seen an acknowledgement of the problem from the Tablo guys, as well as a fix from them. But hey, if it works (and it keeps working), that’s going to make it a lot harder to complain!

Not sure what you mean, not only the Tablo guys, but the CEO have acknowledged issues. So Far the newest Roku firmware has, by a large majority that posted, fixed the issues.

I did see that announcement, but it did not address my main problem at all. And as @Adam mentioned, I felt that too little, too late. And heck, it’s been a month and a half since then anyway, and still nothing from of substance from Nuvyyo. In the end, it appears as if the problem was accidentally solved by Roku.

I realize that lot of people were suffering with the LPW dialog and a rash of other issues, but none of that stuff has ever been a big problem for me - my main concern has always been the Roku lock-ups and reboots. And you know, to this good day, I still haven’t seen a list of solutions to go with that list of symptoms.

There was some reason to believe that certain people were suffering simply because the new firmware (apparently) defaulted to a higher recording bit-rate than its predecessor. It would have been much smarted to make it stay just like it was, which is the option that I believe they eventually added back in. But the only reason that bad decision caused trouble for some people was that that particular group of people has marginal network setups that just couldn’t handle the extra bandwidth requirements. That particular problem had no effect at all on my setup. All this business has been going on for a long time now, so I don’t redeemer all of the fine details, but I do remember feeling like there was a lot of speculation and deflection, but not much in the way of hard facts, proposed solutions, timelines, or even announcements of the solutions.after the fact.

You have to know the Roku and Tablo firmware update came out about the same time when the issues started being noticed.

The memo does not address what everyone says it does / did. It just says ‘here are the problems, and we’re working on them’ - months after they started working on them, but when the problems were reaching critical mass.

Huh? “4) On Roku delays in starting playback, delays during playback, or delays with FF/REW all with “loading “ message”

This was the major issue, so not sure what you mean it does not address the issue.

The supposition was that Tablo had already said it was Roku’s problem. The memo was pointed to as evidence of that. I was pointing out that there was no such verbiage - I was not attempting to question the content of the post - just questioning what the nameless / faceless said it contained… a.k.a. the ‘neener neener neender, it was roku’ brigade.

But as the results are showing, they were correct :wink:

2 Likes

They may have been correct… who knows? But, if they were, it was simply because they guessed. 4 firmware revisions to address Roku specific problems that arguably broke more things than they fixed would tell a different story. As I’ve said… I’m very happy if the Roku / Tablo issues are now addressed. But, the fact that countless thousands of dollars and hours were wasted by users that took the marketing advice / bait and purchased products that didn’t work together is the more interesting perspective, if you ask me. I was personally told my network was to blame. I personally purchased 3x Roku 3 and a Roku 4 under false pretenses (of which I’ve dumped for the Shield) - these are issues that an ethical company would have dealt with… ethically - as opposed to advertising a pairing that was known not to work. The problems were widespread. There is no such thing as a TV power user. Who should be blamed for that? Well, honestly, I’m going to go with the company that continued to advertise that the pairing worked… and not only did it work… but it was featured in every advertisement I’ve seen - this is the problem. But, my money says Roku is in talks to buy Tablo… but what do I know?

Um, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tablo-SPVR4-01-NA/37938466 - I had this here before you removed that comment

Network has a huge amount to do with Tablo functionality and no 2 are the same.

But I don’t see how one can expect a product to work with so many things and not have some issues from time to time.

Personally before I even thought about buying a Tablo I looked at the forum to see if there were issues and looked at all other solutions. Tablo by far does more than the others for what I needed. And up until a few months back Roku and Tablo worked great together.

And as far as your Roku is gonna buy Tablo, highly doubtful and the responsiveness Roku gives customers is WAY lower than Tablo’s responsiveness, so I certainly hope not :wink:

2 Likes

You guys have a different logic than I do. The only channel not working on the Roku was the Tablo, and somehow, that’s a Roku issue? I’d like to see a technical explanation of how that is even possible. Maybe a Roku update could make it more tolerant of whatever the root Tablo problem actually was, but that is not necessarily the best (or most permanent) solution to the actual problem.

I think Roku support is much worse than Tablo support, so I’m not looking forward to an acquisition…other than the fact that we could probably count on the two products working together at that point…but I’d be surprised if that would be good for compatibility with any other streaming device.