Error: weak signal

My dads Tablo is having a very simlar issue, it is VERY HOT at the bottom and he goes from having 5 bars to “Weak signal”. It is only channl 11-1 which is a Hi-V station, all other stations seem to work fine. Rebooting it seemed to fix it for about 5 minutes and then that 1 channel went out again.

The antenna is not moving it is an outdoor Yagi style mounted on the roof solidly.

@rab3rd How’re things going at this point?

@crm1975 Have him try removing the disk - does it still happen without it attached? Of course, he can contact us directly if he prefers.

I have not been able to get back to this issue yet. I will be looking at it again tonight when I get home from work.

We removed the disk and rebooted and all the other channels worked but when trying channel 11-1 it said that Hard Disk was required for that function, which is odd. After unplugging both HD and Tablo, both started working again but we will see for how long. this happened last Sunday during football too and we thought it was the antenna.

If it continues happening I will have him get you his MAC so you can check the logs. Thanks

@Tablosupport

Ok, I have the Tablo powered up, NO hard drive attached, Antenna connected, and I do a scan and it finds no channels. I can hook the antenna straight to the TV and get all my local channels without issue. Something is wrong with the tunners in this tablo.

I don’t suppose you live around Jackson, Tennessee?

no, houston texas

@rab3rd Certainly sounds that way - we can set up a quick remote session to confirm the root of the problem and move forward. You should receive a note from them shortly.

@TabloSupport

ok, what time does tech support stop? 4:30 Central time?

I had similar issues. Weak signal errors, random drop outs to the guide, and a host of other errors.

I was able to get the problem resolved by replacing my network switch. I’m not sure if the switch was bad or if it simply did not have the available capacity to handle the traffic.

It seems that the Tablo setup is VERY network traffic intensive. Any hiccups in the transmission will show up as a weak signal / no signal / etc.

I hope this information helps.

@TabloSupport:

Has anyone looked into this yet? I put the unit in remote access mode as requested by tech support. I still havent heard anything.

@rab3rd I believe we got in touch this morning! Cheers!

@TabloSupport

Yep, new unit heading my way.

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Now that what you call SUPPORT!!! How many companies would do this - probably count them on one hand.

1 Like

I am having the exact same problem. Starting this past Sunday my tablo became glitchy. Dropping out randomly.

Let us know if the new unit solves your problem.

Very interesting. I’m in the Houston area and having a similar issue with channel 11-1 (KHOU) on Apple TV
I had to reboot he Tablo and it works, but what happens is Channel 11-1 will be fine, then the channel stops and it goes back to the guide. If I re-open channel 11-1 it plays a previous piece of the recording and then stops, goes to the guide. It will do this every time I try to play 11-1, and it’s the same video clip. The other channels are fine.

Before I had Tablo, I have noticed channel 11-1 (mostly) and a few other major Networks (Fox & ABC) would sometimes randomly be the only channels with weak signals. I live 10-15 miles away from all of the OTA towers, so I get great signals w/o amplifiers. That being said, I don’t think this is the case with Tablo and 11-1 b/c a restart seems to fix it.

The Tablo seems a little warm, but not too bad.
I’ll try a new hard drive soon since I’ve had this one for a while.

It’s also worth noting the same thing happens on my iPad when it happens on my Apple TV.
Could it be an iOS/tvOS issue when the tv signal drops or maybe if the hard drive is failing?

@ted If you’ve got a recording that reproduces the issue every time, definitely send the specifics to our support team. We should be able to check out the logs and find the root of the issue.

Oh - it wasn’t a recording, it was a live stream that I was watching on11-1. Must’ve been the buffered playback that got stuck on the “weak signal”.
So, I would close the Tablo app, come back to the same channel and the exact same clip would play then stop/ then return to the guide. It would happen at various parts of the tv program, but once the live station just stopped and defaulted back to the guide it would loop that last clip every time I went back to that channel.

This went on all a Saturday until I rebooted the Tablo.
So, far it seems to be doing ok.

Got a new hard drive I plan to use soon too. Maybe this will improve my experience.

1 Like

I have a house in LaPorte which is on cable, but I retired and bought a small farm/ ranch and I using ota antenna and receive 2, 13, but not 11 . I also pick up Beaumont 4 and 6 real clear.If I try and turn the antenna to catch 11 I lose other channels.