Download programs to ipad

When is this going to be supported??
This is a key feature you should have implemented by now!

---

Can I download programs to my tablet for offline viewing?

February 07, 2014 16:51
Not in the first release, but this feature is high on our priority list.

So? when is this going to be implemented?

@ccoveney - Sorry, we really wanted to have this done by now but other priorities have cropped up. Once we’re done working on the Roku overhaul (and other living room experience updates) we’ll have a lot more bandwidth to work on cool features like this. 

Imagine all the free marketing that you would get if people were seen watching saved tv programs in public.  People would ask about it and bam, they would just have to have a Tablo.  How this wasn’t included from day one baffles me.  How time just drags on and on with this feature not being implemented is making me question my investment.  I know, I know, it’s high on the priority list.

Investing in a product solely on proposed features is a gamble. The Tablo does what it advertised it would do so you already got what you paid for, everything else is a bonus you should be happy about.

There are also copyright laws to be careful of.  It’s one thing to stream a show from a server in your home.  It’s another to have a copy of it that could be illegally distributed to others.  

+1

And I don’t want to lose Tablo for those that want to share with all their friends and family.

@markfrommi - We would love to be able to crank out all kinds of awesome features, but we’re limited by engineering man hours. Someone from the Ministry of Labour told us we can’t imprison our dev staff and that they have to be given something called ‘time off’ ;) 

But seriously, this is a feature we really want to do. The CEO wants to do it. Our fans want us to do it. However, we can only focus on a few key things at a time. We’ll get there and we appreciate your patience as we work through other features that might not be on your personal priority list, but they’re certainly on a lot of other folks. (Like the Roku overhaul.) 

There are also copyright laws to be careful of.  It's one thing to stream a show from a server in your home.  It's another to have a copy of it that could be illegally distributed to others.  

If comcast can get around this, so can tablo.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/xtv-go-app-download-feature-faqs

Looking at this, Comcast has quite a few limitations.  It doesn’t let you download recordings (just content from their servers), you can have only 10 programs downloaded, and there are restrictions with NFL games.  

It sounds like the goal of the Tablo is take any recording and let you download to any device.   I am really curious how it will eventually work and stay legal.
also you can download programs to a tablet on dish, directv and others....

simple.tv seems to have figured it out (as awful as their platform is

since you are capturing the program with your own antenna to a device in your own home,  it's pretty much just a fancy VCR. please don't make me cite the betamax copyright decision.

The tools I’ve written allow me to do:

tablocache.py --search ‘I Dream of Jeannie - s05e’ --basedir ‘/Plex/TV/I Dream of Jeannie/Season 5’ --convert

That takes and converts all of whatever is Season 5 of I Dream of Jeannie off the Tablo and put is into the basedir (which is obviously an area scanned by my Plex server)

In the future, I’ll add a delete option to delete the matches of the -search.  Delete requires using the Tablo proper api… so far everything I’ve done uses the simpler access mechanisms to the device.

It’s actually very fast btw.

There are also copyright laws to be careful of.  It's one thing to stream a show from a server in your home.  It's another to have a copy of it that could be illegally distributed to others.  

There are also copyright laws to be careful of.  It’s one thing to stream a show from a server in your home.  It’s another to have a copy of it that could be illegally distributed to others.  

The TiVo ios app that has download for offline viewing seems to have figured out the legal hurdles.

there are no legal hurdles… legally obtained content is yours to use as you see fit.

To swim against the tide, I’d really like the Roku app to be less of a mess, and if that requires delaying downloading episodes for offline viewing, I’m OK with it.

@EdFromTPCR - We’re working on a major Roku revamp. Stay tuned! 

Also - if you’ll be at CES, you should drop by for a visit.

will the Roku revamp give us a to do list grid view of upcoming recordings? this is despareately needed across ALL apps and platforms!!!

@ccoveney

They are not going to tell us what the Roku update will include but I think it may be more about the viewing experience (live TV grid, how recordings are displayed), rather than scheduling recordings. We have to wait and see. The computer web app or the iPad or Android tablet app does a great job with scheduling.

Just want to make sure this feature is never forgotten. It would be a major game changer for Tablo. THere are lots of streaming services, but if you want do get some hours of programming onto your iPad for watching while commuting without wiping out your cellular data, or you’re on a subway, or you’re on a plane, you have to pay to buy or rent content. If I could download a series recorded on my Tablo to watch on my iPad, it would really make Tablo an outstanding service. This feature is the one that changes everything, IMO. Tell your programmers to forget everything else until this is done, and when this is done, send them on vacations for a year, because you won’t need anything else from them for a long while.

If only that were true @bowman !   But I have a feeling the number of features before vacation is somewhere between a gazillion and <boing!>…

I have a feeling if there was a poll, those requesting other things would outnumber those believing that downloading shows onto an iPad is a top priority…

How much content can one store on an iPad?

For me, few I know actually own iPads. Even my son, a died in the wool Apple fanatic and lover of all things Apple has let some dust collect on his own iPad in favor of some other technology. That’s not to argue that there aren’t great numbers of Apple devices, just saying it’s not the end-all or greatest thing since sliced bread and although Apple people tend to be more vocal, many of us would rather see some smaller FIXES first. How about FIXING things that are broken, then work on major feature additions since that would be major, requiring copying a file or files to another device as opposed to the already existing processing power and code that streams. 
No, not a lot of other things stream. This was the only device we’d found that grabbed FREE OTA content, recorded it and streamed it out to any device in our home that was capable of grabbing and displaying said stream.
Show me another device that does what Tablo does but doesn’t require a monthly payment or fee of some sort…
Keep in mind the content Tablo stores on a drive is saved in a manner it can stream, not in a way that it can copy as files that iPad understands and plays in native format.

Am I wrong in believing that the files Tablo stores can’t be directly played on iPad but that they instead require conversion?
I could be wrong, but I thought that was part of the “work” that Tablo’s processor(s) did.

I do think it would be cool to have a way to save, backup files, and even somehow get them to other devices, but if something like cjcox is doing allows one to convert the files on the Tablo drive, then all you need to do it copy them to a device such as iPad using a MAC or PC. 

So then perhaps something like cjcox is doing could convert the files to a format iPad could understand and play, then a PC or Mac would be used to copy them, done deal. Tablo doesn’t have to do anything in that case.