Does anyone know how to migrate DB on harddrive from old tablo to a new replacement tablo?

In this thread concerning my tablo dying (http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/1428/tablo-tuners-3-4-died#latest) @TabloSupport says "but yes - there's an easy way to migrate data from your original Tablo to your replacement" Does anyone on this forum know how to do this?

I bought a new tablo today from Amazon to use until tablo sends me my replacement unit for my broken one and would like to start using it but it doesn't just automatically migrate my DB when I connect the HD. I know tablo support is closed till Monday morning but I was hoping that someone might have this info from having done it in the past when their old tablo died since @TabloSupport said it was possible but failed to give the details so I can get up and running.

It is something the Tablo folks have to do from their end.

It is something the Tablo folks have to do from their end.

Well that is convenient, UGGG! They really need t have at least limited support after hours if they want to be a mass market product.

I love tablo but on so many levels it really isn’t ready for prime time (just us tech nerds) and if they don’t hurry up and get it in gear they are going to get leaped by someone else, like tablo did to simpleTV. There are billions of dollars in play here for the next big TV delivery method and it is moving fast, right now there is no room for half hearted attempts. Either do it right or sell yourself to someone that can.

BEYOND FRUSTRATED!

At least the Tablo can do this, unlike any other DVR on the market. 

+1

Again people with unrealistic expectations. Everyone is holding the Tablo to a standard above what’s out on the market right now.

I would love this feature but it shouldn’t be a “this product will fail unless it’s added yesterday”.

@theuser86 - I don't think Support is an unrealistic expectation. They literally have one guy doing support 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. So "support" or David is overwhelmed. Think of it this way in any given week there is support for 40 hours and no support for 128 hours (assuming no holidays occur) This guy is probably so slammed and that is why he wasn't able to fill my request Monday for a request I entered Friday. He literally walks in Monday morning with a 3 day backlog of support requests that apparently as I learned today roll over into Tuesday!

@TabloTV - you guys have huge potential here to change the future of TV, to change the Status quo, to make billions. You guys started off great but it seems like you have lost the drive that was there as recent as 6 months ago, this is the same problem simpleTV had and why everyone bailed on them for you because you were making leaps now everything is "oh yea we will add that down the road" and "we are working on it"

Let me put it simply if you don't start moving fast right now you better start looking to get acquired by a large company otherwise someone will come along and do exactly to you what you did to Simple. It really is that SIMPLE (pun intended)

@Sleeper

You already complained earlier today. And it was correctly pointed out that no other DVR on the market right now would let you migrate your previous recordings from one device to a replacement device if the original device failed. Thus, you should be happy this is even an option for you.

If you had purchased any other DVR currently on the market, you’d have no help with this matter at all, EVER. You’d just lose all your recordings and have to move on. Why such the ridiculous expectations of a feature that was never promised to you when you bought the Tablo?

@theuser86 - I am starting to think you work for tablo because you are overly defensive here. To answer your question simply I was told last Thursday by tablo support that the database and records could “easily by migrated over” to a new tablo now I sit here 4 days later with a new box and no “easy” migration path. Hope that helps you understand my frustration.

I do not work for Tablo. However, I understand the frustration of having to wait, I would be upset too. You are one of the few who have had their Tablo hardware fail. I’ve had my Tablo for 9 months now with no problems (knock on wood). But all I am saying is that this feature is not ‘offically’ supported let’s say, or else there would be a utility available to all of us to do it ourselves.

Writing off a product entirely because of a feature not working that wasn’t even advertised when you bought it is a bit harsh, no?

I’m curious, if Tablo Support had originally told you this was not possible at all, would you have been happy and just waited for your replacement? Or would you be even more frustrated than now? Any other DVR company out there would have just told you that you’ve lost your recordings, end of story.

I agree that having a utility that one could run from a PC to migrate or transfer whatever is needed to be able to move a drive from one device to another would be grand. If they can do it there, then it’s already possible, now to wait for them to have the time to port it to some sort of utility we can download. Even if it has to run like a Python script or is some EXE file I’d run from my PC, I’d be happy to spend an extra $5 or $10 for the cost of a Tablo to have the ability to move databases from a failed device to a replacement, and I’d spend 30 minutes of my time if that’s what it took. It would be worth it. 

I suspect it’s something they have recently come up with and it’s not ready for prime-time yet, though.

I agree - unless it was PC-based, any other DVR I am aware of would be “sorry, it’s ALL gone, here’s your new device”. No hope, not even 7 days later.

@theuser86 @shadowspapa

It sounds like at the basics of it all we agree, it is just the details that make our opinions differ.

In the end I am now forced to do as you say "what every other DVR would require me to do" and start all over from scratch as a new customer (setup everything to record again that I want to record, setup channels I want to "see", and start over with no recordings) even after being told 4 days ago that the migration can be done easily. While to you it is seen as an option if you wait long enough for tablo to get around to doing it for you, I see it as being mislead by the word easily. To me easily would have been plug old drive into the new tablo and it tells you that it sees data on the drive would you like to import this data or would you like to format the drive and start fresh? I guess I should have known based on other things that this was too easy and you need the one guy with the secret decoder ring to get to it if he has time, because in the end that is EXACTLY WHAT THIS WAS.

Tablo has so much potential I just don't think the execs at tablo realize it. They are treating it like an ugly stepchild instead of a Comcast killing sniper perched upon the roof. Someone drive this ship before it hits and iceberg and sinks like the titanic.

@theuser86 @shadowspapa

It sounds like at the basics of it all we agree, it is just the details that make our opinions differ.

In the end I am now forced to do as you say "what every other DVR would require me to do" and start all over from scratch as a new customer (setup everything to record again that I want to record, setup channels I want to "see", and start over with no recordings) even after being told 4 days ago that the migration can be done easily. While to you it is seen as an option if you wait long enough for tablo to get around to doing it for you, I see it as being mislead by the word easily. To me easily would have been plug old drive into the new tablo and it tells you that it sees data on the drive would you like to import this data or would you like to format the drive and start fresh? I guess I should have known based on other things that this was too easy and you need the one guy with the secret decoder ring to get to it if he has time, because in the end that is EXACTLY WHAT THIS WAS.

Tablo has so much potential I just don't think the execs at tablo realize it. They are treating it like an ugly stepchild instead of a Comcast killing sniper perched upon the roof. Someone drive this ship before it hits and iceberg and sinks like the titanic.

@Sleeper

First of all in my opinion (which doesn’t account for much on the internet) you sound kinda winy by proving your point, which you’ve done. Congratulations! You haven’t contributed much (as far as I can tell here in this thread) , resolved the issue, or come up with a way to do a DB copy, And other then prove you point, you also may have scared a potential customer who may be doing some due diligence before buying a device. Some would say good, and I agree to a point. But I knew buying this device that the company is still in its fledgling years. It’s also possible that Mr. Support aka David misspoke? Or maybe to actually do the DB copy takes 100 steps that most people aren’t going to accomplish easily, which will only generate additional support questions. Compounding the problem of support response time. A few questions I’ve posted here on the boards (or searched for), has generate reliable response from the community, which Tablo Support chimed in to confirm in the thread.

But, I give you credit for the “one guy with the secret decoder ring” crack. That’s a good one. :))

This is my take. What everyone needs to understand is this is like a Start-up. Just last year they took a cash infusion of $4 million in financing from Celtic House Venture Partners according to Ottawa Business Journal.  If you’ve ever worked in one, or been exposed to one, it’s a helluva ride. In my experience working in a Start-up pretty much anything is possible (on the whiteboard), executing and performing under budget or with limited resources ($ or human capital) is where the devil in the details lie.

As a Tablo owner, I think Tablo a niche product with the potential to blow the market wide open. The DVR market is a tough nut to crack it seems. There’s been more than few players before Tablo, and they haven’t succeeded, Tivo is the old guard and has market recognition. Tablo game is going to have to be spot on to overtake Tivo. Maybe Tablo will get bought out, and someone with the $$ to backstop them will give it a go. 

Beside the concept, and product, Tablo does have a good shot in my opinion. Tablo’s potential customer is looking to stick it to Comcast/cable and the satellite companies. That’s a powerful incentive and customer generator. But the customer also has a level of expectation of things just working (thanks smartphones), and aren’t too concerned how complex an issue is. It just needs to work. I hope Tablo gets there, but as an owner of a Boxee Box, I watched that company bright star fade only to be bought by Samsung and disappear from the market. 

@bigcitymike - I don't know if it is fair to call me winy (definition = of, like, or characteristic of wine.) just frustrated. But maybe I should break out the wine and drink a bottle to make me feel better? ;-) There really is nothing to contribute as far as how to migrate the DB so I am not sure what you want me to contribute there. It is really just a wait for them to do it type game that takes days to happen. That is the known process and that is what I have to contribute.

In all seriousness I think we agree tablo has so much potential and yes running a small business is hard but the tech industry moves fast and if you don't move with it you get stomped. I myself have started and run several small businesses most in technology so I do understand and yes money does hold you back if you are not creative enough and if you don't want it bad enough or get burned out and I think that is where the tablo people are, burned out. I have been there burned out by a tech business I ran years ago which in the end I walked away from. So I know the feeling and I do understand exactly what they are feeling. I just find it unfortunate that the potential for this product is there if done right but I can immediately see so many things being done wrong. If I was running the company or consulting for them I think I would be doing things differently (first step would be to rename the product, I mean really unless you product is bubble gum or a balloon do you really think it is a wise choose to have the word "blows" in the name?) but I am not in charge of, employed by or consulting for Tablo sooo I guess it doesn't matter what I think, does it?

At any rate I went ahead and wiped my drive and started over as a new customer would have because in the end I had stuff I wanted to record tonight (lots of good shows on Mondays) and the whole waiting game was starting to turn into more work then it was worth.

Now I just need my broken tablo replaced under warranty and I guess I then have a spare unit incase this happens again in another 4 months.  (mostly kidding about this one also only lasting 4 months)

Hi all -

Just a few points of clarification here…

• On database migration - This is not an every day occurrence, nor is it an easy task which is why we ask everyone to work with @TabloSupport to complete the process. This way we can ensure that your recordings are preserved and your Tablo, your hard drive and your database are not negatively impacted.
  • On our current support hours/processes - Our current support hours are Monday - Friday 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. ET. Our support team’s mandate is to respond to all tickets (placed via email, the ticketing system or phone) within 24 hours. Our current response time average is ~18 hours. If there comes a point where we feel response to support tickets are not meeting or exceeding that metric, we will add additional resources/hours. 
  • On our current support team - We like to provide personalized service to our customers which is why David is the customer-facing member of our support team. He does however have a team of product managers and engineers who work directly with him to solve your tickets. 

@sleeper - I want to apologize that we weren’t able to meet your service expectations in this case. We think we do have a really great opportunity with this product and with the great community of users that we now have. We also realize that maintaining open communication with those users is critical. 

As we grow, we are committed to maintaining personalized customer support within our published hours. As our user base gets larger, we will continue to evaluate how we provide tech support and add resources as needed. 

@TabloTV "Our current support hours are Monday - Friday 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. "  PST/EST/CST ???

They are EST. At least that is what my support ticket said…

Phil

Yep - we’re in ET. Tablo HQ is just outside of Ottawa. 

Here’s a map with some context for those of you whose geography is a bit rusty :) 

Hi all -

Just a few points of clarification here....

• On database migration - This is not an every day occurrence, nor is it an easy task which is why we ask everyone to work with @TabloSupport to complete the process. This way we can ensure that your recordings are preserved and your Tablo, your hard drive and your database are not negatively impacted.
  • On our current support hours/processes - Our current support hours are Monday - Friday 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. ET. Our support team's mandate is to respond to all tickets (placed via email, the ticketing system or phone) within 24 hours. Our current response time average is ~18 hours. If there comes a point where we feel response to support tickets are not meeting or exceeding that metric, we will add additional resources/hours. 
  • On our current support team - We like to provide personalized service to our customers which is why David is the customer-facing member of our support team. He does however have a team of product managers and engineers who work directly with him to solve your tickets. 

@sleeper - I want to apologize that we weren't able to meet your service expectations in this case. We think we do have a really great opportunity with this product and with the great community of users that we now have. We also realize that maintaining open communication with those users is critical. 

As we grow, we are committed to maintaining personalized customer support within our published hours. As our user base gets larger, we will continue to evaluate how we provide tech support and add resources as needed. 

@TabloTV - so you can agree that I was mislead when being told  “but yes - there’s an easy way to migrate data from your original Tablo to your replacement” when you yourself say the exact opposite, I was also NOT told it needed to be done by one specific individual at tablo and would take several days for him to get to it.

Obviously by your above quoted statement you find the current support situation of just 40 out of 168 hours a week as acceptable, I have to disagree. Support that is only open 24% of the average work week (assuming no holidays) with a few days resolution time to each request is pretty weak by any standard.

One last question that I have asked several times and have yet to receive an answer from @TabloSupport or @TabloTV. What is the tracking number for my replacement tablo being sent to me, I was told last Friday that it was shipped yet I have not received anything yet (no delivery or tracking number)? And since mine was practically new (only 4 months old before total failure) will this replacement be a new unit or a refurb (someone elses old broken junk that was “fixed”)?

The whole handling of this situation by @TabloTV has just left a bad taste in my mouth.

You’ve 100% had bad luck with the device you got but this experience is also very user dependent to say the least.

I hope you get your Tablo tomorrow and it works for years to come.

@Sleeper clearly you are not a user that should invest in cutting edge technology or small companies that are just getting off the ground. Your db problem/migration is probably very easy for a technician at Tablo with the gear on hand to fix but fixing it remotely can infinitely complicate the process.  Fortunately we have an extremely tech savvy community forum to help with solving a great deal of the known problems and actually create new integrations (ie. Plex) which usually suffices when the Tablo folks have down time to see their families. FWIW, I’ve had worse customer service with the mainstream providers like Dish and Cox and those are the big boys in this type of technology so give these guys a break.