Delving deeper into the Roku "Loading..Please Wait" issue

The shortened Ethernet cable actually does connect my Tablo to the router 3 feet away. Another router LAN port is used to attach a Roku 3, also within a few feet. The Roku behaves about the same as my other 6 active Rokus. It is actually a spare, purchased with the (false) expectation that I could keep it at its factory firmware revision before the April Roki release. To my disappointment, Roku forces a firmware upgrade as soon as the box gets an Internet connection during first boot.

Since this Roku spare is situated in an area where we don’t sit for hours and watch Tablo, I have way fewer elapsed hours of experience, but this directly connected Roku appears to behave the same as the others.

There is an invalid belief persisting here from fanboys that network “problems” totally explain why some people have no playback issues whereas others have them. The conclusion is partially correct, but not entirely. The example cited right here should illustrate that a simple network topology with few devices, very short cables, etc. does NOT ensure that buggy firmware will always work. Anyone who has ever dealt with timing races in debugging digital systems will immediately understand this basic point.

The combination of wrong inferences and fanboy dismissive comments was the source of my prior complaints. The user network hardware MAY be a serious contributor or it MAY NOT, and something as simple as noisy AC power (as a simple example) may account for all sorts of non-repeatable problems. Software and firmware bugs are far more likely to explain these Tablo issues in my opinion.

Your solution is great, and takes the Tablo channel app out of the playback chain entirely. It does have the distinct disadvantage of needing the intermediary steps of ripping, file transfers, and PC use which add time and expense and extra work, particularly if a PC needs to run 24/7 or nightly batches need to be transferred. Stable Tablo playback directly is still my first choice, but I am impressed with the quality of the ripped Tablo files and have made numerous BluRays and watched critically on big 4K grade screens with very few artifacts and good OTA audio stream recovery / coding. Tablo does signal processing very well from OTA ATSC to disk, so moving it into other reliable and much more stable players is the way to go. It also powerfully and persuasively illustrates that the same underlying network, switches, cabling, etc. are NOT the root cause of playback issues. And allows Roku to play the Tablo recorded files flawlessly, unlike the Tablo app.

How much more compelling an argument could one imagine to incriminate the Tablo app than the sheer fact that identical Tablo files play beautifully with the Roku PLEX player using the same network and Roku box which fails HORRENDOUSLY when the Tablo app player attempts to play the very same files but crashes, does LPW liong pauses, reboots???

Can’t the fanboys comprehend this ???

1 Like

xxxx cccc xx cc

Yes there is lots of problems using that term, sounds a lot like a troll.

1 Like

I’ve been dealing with the LPW issues - not regularly but more of an annoyance. Admittedly, I’ve only been watching an hour or so of TV lately.

Last night I finally experienced the Roku reboot. What was interesting is when playback would resume from the LPW the “degraded signal” section would playback perfectly. However, there was one section that was very pixelated and it breezed right over it.

Tablo, Roku 4 are all connected to an AirPort Extreme with 6ft cables.

Having more years in computers then most of you are old, I have seen what is going on with tablo and it’s users more times then I can even remember. Believe it or not, this is very typical in much of the computer tech world. For one reason or another, just about every piece of hardware, software, operating systems, games, or maybe a few hundred other parts and pieces of technology the computer revolution has slapped in our collective faces over the past 35 years or so.

Most of it is harmless fun, sort of like rooting for your team against another. Picking sides is what everyone does in just about everything. This “harmless fun” can turn however when too much ruffing of feathers happens and this is more of what’s happening here right now.

Now I am not anyone to judge anyone else, so I won’t. But I am someone who can see poking back and forth at each other with quips, innuendos, and at times outright accusations. It isn’t going to help anything, and it does hurt. Anyone punched in the nose is going to punch back, just about for certain. We’re all put together this way. But, not ever one has to punch someone to make his/her point. This is where much of what is going on here really needs to be put to rest.

If anyone has something good to express about an experience with this technology, that should be acceptable to all of us. And, I think it is. Where the problem arises with this is when someone uses his good fortune to somehow indicate someone else must be doing something wrong, “because mine works fine”! This is the punch in the nose no one wants to get.

Then when someone decides to fight back over what he believes are unsolvable issues with bzillions of reasons his stuff is perfectly interfaced to every other component in his house, so it must be this faulty device’s fault exclusively. Then the back and forth begins.

It is obvious when someone has something they really like because it is doing exactly what they really want it to do, they are going to express good things about it when they get the opportunity. That is what we all do. When that very positive outlook confronts someone who is hurting because their “something” is all broke, it doesn’t do much to take that hurt away, does it? In fact, it can feel like your getting your nose rubbed in it more then any help someone might want to offer.

On the other hand, just because you absolutely know you got a lemon, when instead you wanted an orange, it does not mean everyone got lemon’s does it. It can be that a device is more prone to act in a certain manner based on extenuating circumstanced, which can be varied from one installation to another. Every car that rolls off the assembly line, even though the exact same make and model, does have a “life of it’s own” it will live up to. Same with electronics and even the code within that addresses those electronics can have different results with those electronics. This does not mean there isn’t room for improvement, for fixes, and even re-engineering as necessary.

I believe we are at a point, and have been for some time, where everyone understands our little black box is not perfect and really needs to be better overall and specifically fixed to reduce or eliminate far to many bugs. But, until or if that happens, we should all try to make the best of what we have work for each of us. Some have found ways to make use of this device, even though there are difficulties along the way – I have. Others have chosen to leave it to others and have left to greener pastures. Still others are willing to (some are really able to in fact) help those with difficulties setting up there equipment for the best possible outcome based on what they have to work with.

The key to getting any of these things, is to get along.

So, there’s some words up there to read. Give it some though and see if there isn’t a better way to move forward here then punching each other in the nose.

-Rodger

5 Likes

So the reboot was with your Roku 4? I think that is the first report I’ve heard of the Roku 4 rebooting (mine hasn’t yet, but like you, I haven’t been using Tablo much on it since the current rash of issues). I was really hoping the Roku 4 would be immune to the rebooting issue.

Correct. Roku 4 with the latest software release.

Thanks for confirming. Keeping my fingers crossed that was more an anomaly than an ongoing issue…

Having been in the IT business for the last 40 years I can second what Marjamar is saying. My biggest fear for Tablo is not that the company has poor coders in house as full-time employees but that the code is outsourced and offshored. In the past decade I have seen some of the worst coding sh*t coming back to North America from Asia (what does one expect from paying programmers $5 an hour LOL who wouldn’t know your product from a donkey’s ass).

As far as the “religious” wars between different standpoints, I remember the early days between DirecTV and Dish. The forums were replete with accusations and preferences between these two camps. Was their equipment all that great? I had to take the DirecTV $5 per month insurance policy since I wound up sending THREE DVRs back to them in five years. Both Dish and DirecTV had “fixes” every three months. For years it cost me $60 a year to ensure DirecTV would respond to my problems! How’s that for a Mafia protection program? The first words out of the mouth of their Help Desk or Customer Service rep were, “I see you have our insurance protection program.”

I also had a Tivo and wound up taking it apart to repair it myself. There were forums for fixing your own Tivos. We even used the Linux command line to “fix” Tivo functionality. So Marjamar is absolutely right about the myths of stability in the digital world.

Like I said before, it is amazing that so many networks went bad at the same time the firmware was released.

One component on the LPW I have not seen mentioned much is that it started for some with 2.2.2 and many others with 2.2.6. One of the biggest changes in those firmware versions is the support for larger hard drives. The fact that we are all using our own HD of various models, firmware levels, and manufactures may be what is differentiating the problem setups from the ones that are working. Perhaps in the process of adding larger HD support a bug developed that is only affecting some hard drive models or firmware levels? If the HD is not keeping up, or is having a read problems that could very well create a buffering situation.

1 Like

I wish Tablo would use the second USB port for people to insert small drives or keys to do buffering the way Win 7 uses a plugged in USB drive for memory paging. The Roku allows you to add a flash drive for app storage.

Just curious if anyone at Tablo has looked at this being an issue with out of order packets being delivered and if any users have tried playing with the QoS settings in their router to resolve the “Loading please wait” issue.

That might be a possibility given some of these reboots seeming to fix issues at least for a time.

For me there is no router between the Tablo and Roku, only a switch, so there is no QoS involved.

Really really really disappointed to hear of an FFReboot continuing to show up on the latest Roku V7 firmware. Looks like another several months before Roku does yet another (6th) firmware release and tries to remedy their firmware bug. No doubt Netflix, CBS, Amazon, HBO, NBA and all their other affected users will continue to wait patiently and silently for Roku to fix this issue since they really never do any fast forwards anyway.

I really wish that luck had anything to do with solving this problem. Strong competent systems and software engineering is what WILL solve this problem and hopefully those with vested business interests will see this clearly. No evidence yet, sadly

xxxx cccc xx cc

You and me both. I switched to Roku 4 in hopes it’d fix some of the quirks associated with using iOS and AirPlay. The beauty of Tablo is I have the option to go back to that. Of course, my wife is content watching TV on her laptop.

While I was seeing the occasional LPW, I hadn’t experienced a reboot like others have been.

Then you would guess wrong. That is not how a switch works, (IT Design Engineer here)