DECA Ethernet to Coax Adapter - VERY cheap way to hard wire Tablo to your router

Ok you’re putting a lot of thought into this and I really appreciate that! I’m reading your advice and thinking isn’t that what I did? My entry line goes right to my modem. And you left out my router. Modems generally go directly to the router which is what I have and then from the router via a DECA to the splitter which btw is in my garage attic and pretty accessible.

Again, my wire ethernet is from the router (connected to the modem) to a DECA box which goes right to a 4-way splitter although I currently only have two other DECAs in use. How is what I have different from what you’re stating? I’m obviously missing something.

Oh and I only have internet service. No cable tv.

Thanks again.

Re-reading your reply…are you saying not to connect the modem to the router but add an additional DECA to connect the modem to the splitter and then run coax back to the main router using a DECA? Then the splitter still goes to the other DECAs?

OK, it sounds like you’re safe, then. Most houses have the entry from outside coming into a basement area, and then splitters right at that entry point connect to the coax wires going to the rest of the house. What I thought you had done was wire the DECA back into the common line connected to your modem to feed the rest of the house. But if you’ve got the outside line coming directly to your modem, and a second line going to your DECA feeding the rest of the house, then you don’t have to worry at all about privacy, because you’ve already created an isolated coax line inside your house that’s not directly linked to anything going outside. That also explains why the DECA isn’t interfering with the cable internet signal.

If that’s what you’d already done, then great. Call it good and enjoy the boost in reliability and speed. :smile:

1 Like

Fantastic thanks for the help! I’m guessing the modem is keeping things from getting back out then?

Not quite. The way you have things wired, the DECA signal is never getting onto the coax line that’s going to the modem.

Think of it this way. In most houses, I can use a continuity tester and plug one end on the coax outside (the cable ingress point) and the other end onto any coax outlet in the house, and I’ll see continuity. Effectively, the coax is just one big wire going everywhere in the house and out into the cable network. In that case, you have to worry about stopping your network signal from getting back out of the house. In your case, you could do a continuity check from outside and not see a connection to your other coax lines, because the only place that incoming wire goes is straight to your modem. The modem isn’t really “stopping” anything, per se. It’s just that you have to completely separate coax “wires” in your setup.

1 Like

Thanks a ton for all the time and info! I ran head first into this, like always, and got done and thought oh wait, there was something else. I’m glad I’m good! And this is working out great!

But I do have two more DECAs on the way as I’m upgrading two Roku 1s to 3s soon. Gotta love Craigslist.

I am moving at the end of the month to another house (not very far away from where I live), but Uverse is more limited there than at my current house. So I bit the bullet and went with Comcast. The big advantage is that I am on the Extreme 250 tier (250 Mbps down / 25 Mpbs up) which is way faster than I have ever had before.

I want all the outlets to take advantage of this speed, and rewiring a 2-story house for ethernet can be expensive. So I decided to go with MOCA adapters, and will use 4 for now.

I think the best spot for my cable modem will be in my media/bonus room. That way I can hook up my cable modem and MOCA adapter using a splitter, and then connect my cable modem to my router. I will also have a PC, Tablo, Roku, and a Blu-Ray player all hooked up to my router (which is how I have it in my current home).

I will put one MOCA adapter in my office, though since I have a work laptop and gaming PC in there, I will need a switch. Another will go in my daughters work area for her computer, and the last will go in the room with my wife’s computer. I plan on just using wireless media streamers for my bedroom and living room tvs, though I could always buy one my pair of adapters.

I am using these adapters ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1179504-REG/actiontec_ecb6000k02_moca_2_0_network_adapter.html ), as well as a filter ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DC8IEE6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 ) that will be put on at a spot before the cable is split to the rest of my house.

With those download speeds, you will be watching tv shows before they even finish filming them. Sounds like a great setup. Best of luck.

Here is another option, serves as a wifi extender and you can use Ethernet cable with it. Only $40 on Amazon now. If I needed it, I’d just use this.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. I think I might have to pick one up for my parents.

I’ve used Range Extenders, and it messes up my IP address reservations that I’ve set on my main WiFi Router. And, I couldn’t find a way to set reservations on the Extender itself. I could be doing something wrong…

1 Like

I did buy a 4-port wireless AC range extender as well, though I am not sure I need it now. Once it is set up, it creates two clone wireless networks (one for 2.4 GHz and one for 5.0 GHz). You can then use the wired ports on it or connect to the clone networks for those devices that get a weaker signal on the main wireless bands.

My issue was that I wasn’t seeing a slight decrease in speeds using the extender compared to using the main wireless networks. But it isn’t a bad way to extend a network or give wireless capabilities to a device that has none.

I’m a little confused regarding proper use of DECA devices. I currently have coax going from my antenna to a splitter which serves the Tablo and the TV directly. I like having the direct hookup to the TV rather than watching live using Tablo (and ultimately Roku 3).

I am currently using wireless from the router to the Roku (Table is hard wired to router).

There is only one coax going from area of router, Table and incoming antenna lead to the area of the TV and Roku.

By using DECA devices, can I carry internet over this coax and still have it available for live TV using a splitter at each end?

Yes you can as long as the frequencies used for the DECA adapter and frequencies used for OTA ATSC TV are different. I think they are, but you’d have to look it up. You can send multiple types of signal over the same coaxial cable.

Bump to this thread for any new users. These are the newer 3rd gen DECA adapters for $19.97

Bump. For those interested, the 2 pack is now $16 USD.

1 Like

These types of adapters weren’t great in the old days. It looks like they may have been some improvements to them. If I hadn’t run so much Ethernet cable I’d give it a try.

I think I still have my original wireless card and access point. Really old. It was not called WiFi back then.

Edit:. Something like this should have been built into TVs. It would be great with the new 60ghz stuff coming out.

I’ve been using the Gen 2 DECA adapters since Aug 2014 and no issues with them. Solid stable connection with fast speed, over a dedicated single coaxial cable that was already run through the house.

Great topic! Read through the entire thread with all the replies / comments and got a LOT out of this.

2 Likes

Yep…been doing it for years! It is a great inexpensive MOCA solution.
DECA is DirecTV’s hardware solution to implement MOCA.
There are some caveats to be aware of tho. This explains it very well…

1 Like