DECA Ethernet to Coax Adapter - VERY cheap way to hard wire Tablo to your router

The good part is most people in these forums have cut the cord so the DECA adapters won’t interfere with “their cable TV service” cause they just don’t have it.

Guess the DECA adapters could interfere with cable internet on the same coaxial cable. But usually isolating the cable internet coaxial is not that hard.

What is OTA TV frequency? Can you run DECA on the same coaxial cable as OTA?

Deca is DirecTV’s hardware solution to implement MOCA. MOCA normally runs in the 850-1500MHz and DECA changes it to run in the 500-850MHz. OTA is in the 470-806Mhz range which interferes with the DECA implementation of MOCA.

With Tablo, I run a separate coax to the tablo device, then use DECA.
Block diagram attached. I have internet and OTA to all rooms and devices.

That diagram doesn’t explain how you have internet and OTA to all rooms using a coaxial cable only.

You said yourself that running OTA and DECA on the same coaxial cabling would cause interference.

I get each room has internet via DECA, but do those coaxial outlets in each room carry OTA signal you can directly connect an HDTV to?

The OTA goes to the Tablo(Red line(COAX)). Tablo then pushes out the shows via Ethernet(Blue line(COAX)) going to the switch(Green Line(Cat6). The switch is connected to the DECA that goes via coax(Blue Line(COAX) to the rest of the house.

Cox internet(Blue line(COAX) comes in at the office to the modem. The modem connects the the router(Green Line(Cat6). The router connects to the DECA which connects via coax(Blue Line(COAX) to the rest of the house.

In the drawing, I removed the DECAs from the Front BR, BR2 BR3, Game Rm and MBR as the are not used any longer. (Empty nester). Trust me they were there and fully functional. My daughter would have let me know if it didn’t work!

The key is Tablo’s implementation of sending out the TV shows via ethernet / wireless. The OTA signal in this implementation is isolated. Antenna to TABLO only.

Maybe I should have said is…I have internet and TV shows to all rooms. I figured everyone would get the gist of what I was showing.

Yes this is key, saving you have OTA in every room bc of the Tablo is not very accurate. Misleading at that.

“Hey I have OTA every place on the planet cause of my phone and remote viewing” - see my point? lol

Many people like “real OTA” in every room because channel changing is faster, and the video quality is better for sports when direct connected to the HDTV.

…dude…chill. I think everyone gets the gist. wasn’t trying to mislead. Just showing my implementation of internet and OTA living together in harmony. Hoping someone else can make use of it.

Lol I am chill, I am just saying for those of us who aren’t so technical in nature I don’t want to mislead them and say you can split your OTA signal and send it to every room in your house, and also send Ethernet over DECA to each room using the same coaxial cabling. Cause if that was the case, it’d be amazing.

I’m glad I found this thread. I’m in the process of “hardwiring” my home. I currently use PowerLine and WiFi for two of my computer systems. Both are “not broken” but I want “to fix” them anyway using DECA (preferable and cheaper) or MoCA (if I have to).

My question at this point is:

Does DECA “definitely” interfere with the OTA signal?

For one of my connections I have to use ONE coax for both OTA and Ethernet. The OTA will go to a SiliconDust HDHomeRun (HDHR) Connect Duo. The Ethernet will connect to a switch which will be used to connect the HDHR to my HTPC which I use as a DVR, and the HTPC to the Internet.

I think I might be able to NOT run OTA and Ethernet over the same coax (I’m writing this before I try that.) but since the thread is several months old I wanted to ask the question while it is the active tab out of the DOZENS I have open researching this project and my daily “reading”.

Thanks for coming back to answer my question.

PS - I’ve rearranged my plan and it looks like it will work without having to run OTA and DECA Ethernet on the same cable. If you do come back, please answer my question anyway so that it is definitive that OTA and DECA can/can’t work over the same coax.

DECA runs in the 500-850 MHz band; OTA, even after the FCC repack, will conflict from 500 - 600 MHz… so yes, they’ll interfere. The definitive answer is that DECA and OTA can’t work on the same coax cable.

If the down-lead from your antenna runs directly to the HDHR- that is, it isn’t split to feed other drops in your coax plant, then there’s no issue running DECA. However, if you need OTA signals at more than one location, then my recommendation would be to run a bonded MoCA network.

I have some experience with this. My local LAN is built out that way- I have OTA from a rooftop antenna, providing OTA to three locations. At each of those locations, I have Motorola MM1000 Ethernet-Coax Bridge (ECB) Bonded Channel 2.0 adapters. Those adapters have a built in di-plexer, with two RF connectors- one connects to the Coax plant for MoCA data, the other to the OTA receiver (in my case, a Tablo Dual, and televisions and/or TiVo Bolts). I’m leveraging that coax plant, with my router in one location, and two wireless access points for wifi running off the adapters in the other two locations.

You’ll find MoCA to be very robust, and iperf3 testing shows bandwidth rates of ~860 Mbps between bonded channel nodes. Of the three drops, two are over 60’ in run distance, the third is a little less at ~ 30’. The home run terminates in my attic, to a MoCA rated distribution amp with a built in PoE filter on the antenna down-lead port.

tapokata is correct. In my situation, I used 1 direct coax drop from antenna to Tablo. The Tablo was connected to a switch, and the switch connected to a DECA, which fed all locations in the house via the internal coax cable.

The key you’re missing here for someone looking at this thread is your network switch was also connected to a router correct?

My current plan is:

Antenna to HDHomeRun (Tablo) to WiFi Router/Switch to HTPC for DVR/Live TV
Note: I can access the HDHomeRun via WiFi on my SmartPhones and via the network for other computers

Spectrum Internet to Cable Modem then via Ethernet to WiFi Router then:
WiFi Router to DECAs to HTPC (ONE cable and NO switch or splitters needed!)
WiFi Router to DECAs to Switch for home computer, printer, OBi202 (VOIP) and other devices

Dang, that looks and sounds simple. It only took several days and about a dozen hours to figure that out.

A LOT cheaper than pulling Ethernet or MoCA adapters.

I am going to have to add a couple of wall boxes for coax connections through the walls and a few other items, but overall I’m thinking under $100 for the parts and maybe another hundred or so for the labor.

Thank you all for resurrecting this thread and adding details and clarifications.

Correct, wireless router.

With Ethernet ports, right?

Right.