Commercial skip question

I just got the update and I realize that commercial skip is a work in progress, but does it only work on major TV shows? I recorded the local news and the commercials were still in there and it wasn’t marked like the network shows I also recorded on the same day.

Here’s the Tablo url that describes commercial skip, which includes a list of what type of programs are not eligible. https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-ota-dvr-feature-automatic-commercial-skip/

• [NETWORK] PBS
  • [NETWORK] TVO
  • [PROGRAM TYPE] News
  • [PROGRAM TYPE] Manual Recording
  • [SHOW] American Dad
  • [SHOW] South Park
  • [SHOW] Family Guy
  • [SHOW] The Cleveland Show
  • [SHOW] 20/20
  • [SHOW] 60 minutes
  • [SHOW] Judge Judy

Well here’s another strange one it works great on CBS NBC fox cw but some how ABC has found a way to block it nothing and I mean nothing works on ABC it records but NO channel skip on any show. inquiring minds want to know are you listening tablo

Listing a few ABC shows as examples might be helpful.

Here’s the deal pick one nothing channel skips on ABC it’s not a failure to record it does record just no channel skip on this one and only network!

Here’s the deal…You could have listed one show instead of repeating your post. Sometimes having a specific show for support to test with helps speed up the problem identification process.

I can’t even tell from the above statement if the tablo unit tried or didn’t try to generate skips. Or if it failed to generate skips with a failed reason. Or skips were generated and the player failed to skip.

I thought my response was pretty accurate pick one any one it does not even try and generate a commercial skip. Every other network works fine just abc

Maybe the server software is confusing your ABC for PBS. There would be no processing. But the recordings should be marked as Filtered. Or there are no thumbnails - marked as Unsuitable. But attempts to process commercial skip won’t be attempted until thumbnail processing is complete.

If the server software was confused by the data stream the commercial software would fail and you would get a skip detection failed.

Or the processing is still in the processing queue.

Thanks. Really weird that it can’t scan for commercials on everything. Just imho, it’s gonna be a tough sell if it doesn’t.

Must be you. Or your local guide data is wrong, as zippy suggests.

The reason it would have been nice if you had named shows, because I don’t pay any attention to networks. So I had to dig through a bunch of shows to find ones from ABC. I looked at three: Whiskey Cavalier, Grey’s Anatomy, and For The People. All of them had commercial skip. There were isolated episodes where the upload failed, but at least 80% of the shows recorded since I got the commercial skip beta firmware had skip enabled.

Had it been accurate enough for support you wouldn’t have been asked 3 times! If you’re truly seeking improvement, you wouldn’t use avoidance type answers.

Presuming ABC outright “found a way to block it” I guess they will just wait for everyone else to complain because it’s not just your problem.

Maybe some day it will scan everything. Including PBS which has little to no commercials. Now that would be a waste.

It would probably be better to add an option to allow specific recordings to opt in or out of processing.

I haven’t seen any other reports of mass failure for one network, and mine seems to work fine for ABC.

1 Like

I haven’t had any where their was a failure to “try” to process.

I tried to pump 10 in a row 1 hour outer limits(late 1990’s series) into commercial skip. Five worked five failed due to server side commercial skip detection failed. They may have to adjust the algorithm. But on Roku the failed indicator only showed up in the detailed episode screen. Hopefully a red blob will show up at the higher level.

But this Beta software.

ABC shows should be eligible for commercial skip unless it’s the news or 20/20.

Can you take a closer look at shows you’ve recorded from that network since you updated to 2.2.26?

What error message are you seeing?

ABC shows should be eligible for commercial skip unless it’s the news or 20/20.

Maybe the 6th request for a specific failure will be the magic one. Let’s hope.

1 Like

Since this is Beta it might be helpful if tablo posted when it made serious changes to the server algorithms. People might pay more attention to the resulting output.

I tried to select a sporting event that I thought might give the feature some problems. I know Stadium live sports can have interesting breakouts to commercials. I pumped a Live college softball game into commercial skip. It did pretty good. It only had two 30-50 second commercials it totally missed.

TabloTv, should we keep track of commercial misses that we get, ex: tv shows, network, commercials? Maybe a thread just for that? Would this help you, or would this be too much informations.