Channel reception via antenna but not via Tablo

I live in Greensboro. Most stations, 2,8 etc. are to the south towards Randleman. 12 and 26 (PBS) are toward the NNE on Pilot Mountain.

I am using this antenna which allows me to recieve signals from both directions. https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HDB8X

I can even pickup and record 27 out of Roanoke which is 65 miles away.

Hope this helps.

Are you disconnecting the TV and attaching the Tablo to the same cable? When I tried adding my TV via a splitter, the TV worked fine, but the Tablo stopped working.

I use my TVs to …watch TV - always have, probably will for some time. Had RG6 wrapped around the house to multiple TVs long before tablo.
Have upgraded new “power spliters” and re-routed cable. Added things, taken devices out… had done nothing recent, when --suddenly-- tablo had issues recording late evening shows.
It was very recent to a firmware update/upgrade. (but that may have been a coincidence, just like several other users).

A splitter added to decent cable, should have minimum impact, like -3db, it should be marked. If you don’t have enough signal to drop that much… your antenna may need tweaked, replaced, or you just are on the fringe of signals.

My Tablo doesnt give me as good of reception as my tv does. I’m using it thru Roku. Now, I have the Tablo app on one of my tv’s and it plays better thru there but nothing as clear as the direct antenna. So what I did was add an antenna to my tv’s (cheap $10.00 ones with rabbit ears) and when I watch live TV, I just watch it thru the antenna. I just use the Tablo to record and view later. The Tablo records fine when it’s recording a major network (ie ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) because the signal is the strongest but it goes in and out on the other stations like MeTV. So all in all the Tablo does what I need it to do, record my major shows when they come back post covid and Judge Judy. The others like The Munsters and Green Acres, I just view on Hulu or Tubi.

Generally MeTV is a sub-channel carried by the network affiliate station. Channels/sub-channels are all broadcast on the same frequency. example: 20.1 ABC, 20.2 MeTV – each come to you on the same signal… so there should be little to no difference. (or 17.1, 17.2, 17.3 - 34.1, 34.2, 34.3)

Having read all the comments and suggestions I am thinking of the following solution:
I attach the cable to a splitter with a switch and connect both the TV and the Tablo to the splitter with two cables. I should then be able to switch between TV for the best reception and the ability to watch WXII 12 and the Tablo for recordings.

an A/B remote switch like this?

I was more thinking of something like this:

Splitter

When “someday” comes around I have a box of …things and stuff, to list on ebay before I dump them off the the electronic recycling. It’s never any real profit, but if it’s worth something to someone and I get a few $$ after shipping and fees I feel that much better about it. :neutral_face:

Why would a TV have a better tuner? Seems like a poor excuse to me. Should they not put the best tuner available into these units? That is the main purpose of this unit, to watch OTA signals. Why would they do that? I would have gladly given few more dollars for a better tuner. At least offer a few cost options for tuners. I bought a $200 LCD TV that has better signal reception that a Tablo? If that’s the case then I might need to re-think my purchase. Maybe there are better options out there.

1 Like

The Tablo has multiple tuners - therefore, the signal must be split prior to going to the tuners. There is an amplifier on the “splitter”, but even with an amplifier, the split will result in a reduction of signal.

BTW - every “multi-tuner” DVR has the same issue.

Not arguing, but if that has a noticeable impact… you may not have enough signal to go around. I have my TVs double split >tablo x >split - TVxTV (due to set-up prior to tablo) amp-splitter - split between TV | tablo with an antique antenna.

If ~-3db loss degrades your reception… that’s where you’re at… 4 tuners aren’t for your location.

Not sure, I was suggesting it may be a response. Search the forum for “TV Tuners” and you have plenty of hits.

If your intent was to just “watch” TV… yea. If you wanted to record OTA content… it’s clear.

I wouldn’t say “better”. But there have been discussions, OTA DVR don’t seem to be equally comparable. Each seem to offer vastly different options and vary greatly how the function. It is possible one may be a better fit than another.

A great many are extremely content with their tablo. (disclaimer: I’m happy with). Some users find it too much to press buttons and want to tell it what to do - Amazon’s device is an excellent fit, for example.

I have an amplified splitter (4-way) going to two Tablo DVRs and one TV (the other connection is terminated). The TV and the DVRs perform close to the same as far as pixelation, reception, etc… There might (and I stress might) be a 5% difference (neither has a signal meter), but I don’t get “extra” channels on the TV or DVRs (exact lineup), and when there is tropospheric propagation (my signal issues), both the TV & DVRs are similar in pixelation/channel drops.

I can compare it directly to both the Amazon Recast (my friend has one in his home) and TiVo Premiere Plus (I used to have it - gave it to my brother). All three DVRs perform almost identically (no extra stations - same lineup), and all deal with the pixelation/drop outs about the same.

The only real difference was the TiVo had a better diagnostic interface (signal meter, channel frequencies) than Tablo or Recast, which may be better for initial setup (need of pre-amp, amplified distribution units, “aiming” the antenna, etc), but once you are setup, performance wise, they were all about the same.

They were all 4-tuner models. I haven’t tried the 1 or 2 tuner models out there, so I can’t comment on those, but signal loss on the internal splitter isn’t “drastic” - probably only a few percentage points of signal strength (i.e. 75% vs. 71% maybe).

1 Like

I don’t really have the problem, my comment was in response to the comment “TVs have “better” tuners”.

I don’t know if actually true, you are the one that made the statement…

I do have a wierd channel issue one sub-channel just buffers, never loads, it has strong signal, I can get the signal on every TV in the house with antenna hooked straight. I don’t buy the splitter argument in my case. All other associated sub channels are very good and some of the other TV’s had multiple splitters with no noticeable degradation. Tablo also shows all green circles when scanning. I’m not real concerned about it, it’s just a weather radar but very strange I can’t get it. It only started after the last update and slightly before that there was a frequency move. I have ran the channel scan many times. I have several device types, Roku, Fire, Apple, it won’t load on any of those but all other channels including same sub channels load fine.

Based on that statement, it may be an issue where Tablo isn’t decoding the signal properly, not a reception issue. Have you spoken to Tablo Tech Support regarding the issue?

You mis-interpreted the phrase “You’ll get:” in the context -

I was tossing out a list often give in response to - my TV gets channels, why won’t my tablo? When you asked previously, I suggest a search – 55 results for"TV tuners" – It’s been brought up often.

The primary channel X.1 come across the same signal as all it’s subchannels X.2, X.3, X.4 So if you can receive all other X channels, then it’s not the broadcast station… necessarily.

Have you tried adding an amplifier to the antenna?Since Tablo’s signal has an internal 4 way splitter, even the 2 tuner models.

For me, the channels I can only get on my TV, is late at night. They are distant channels, different direction than antenna. Not really in my “area”… it’s really a non-issue.

For my regular channels, other than a passing problem several weeks ago I only have a rare occasional channel struggle to get through momentarily.

I do have an amp/splitter for the “ends” of the house. Seems to take care of the long cable runs and splitting between TVs and tablo.

–that post was actually a reply to someone else’s struggles, although I always appericate constructive input-- thanks :slight_smile:

Signals travel further at night. Somehow I lost channel 19. But at least two of the channels are available streaming, but only one with DVR.