Can't set up Tablo Connect on ASUS RT-AC56R router!

There is why Tablo Connect is not working for you.

As I said previously “If it starts with 192.168. or any internal IP range like 10.0. that is where your problem is (that you have a router behind a router).”

Your ASUS router is telling you that the WAN IP it has is a private (aka internal) IP. This means you have to put the modem in bridge mode or forward the ports on the modem too.

Putting the modem in bridge modem will allow your ASUS router to have an external IP for the WAN IP. The external IP is the IP address assigned by your ISP, it is what you get if you go to whatismyip.com

Hope that the multi-router o multi-NAT environment makes sense.

@Nick 

I agree with @theuser86 here. Put the ASUS into bridge and the rules should take care of themselves. Let us know how this turns out.

@TabloSupport

You mean put the modem in bridge mode. The ASUS is his router.

OK, lets start over here.  I apologize if I wasn’t clear about my “modem”.  I’m pretty sure its not actually a modem.

I get my internet wirelessly from an antenna on my roof. This is my ISP: http://www.ncwcom.com

There is a cable coming into the house from the antenna. You can see it in this picture coming into the little box on the top.

http://bit.ly/1BQ77kq

The cable coming out of the other side plugs directly into my ASUS router. The small cord coming out from the side goes to a plug that plugs into an electrical outlet.  Thats it.

That’s not really a modem is it?

It is still likely a modem. What I want to know is if the modem has a built in router.

On the ASUS can you tell us what the WAN Connection Type is set to (never mind, saw it is set to Automatic which is correct setting), and what the WAN IP is? I still want to confirm the WAN IP is an internal (aka private) IP.

The WAN screenshot you posted is for the WAN settings. I am looking for the WAN status page, it’s a different page.

If it is in fact an private IP, you have a router behind a router. This is a networking no no. You will have to call your ISP and see if they can help you put the modem in bridge mode. You can try connecting a computer directly to the line coming in from outside and seeing if you can access a configuration page. If you tell me what the private IP is, I can tell you the likely configuration page IP.

IT says the WAN IP is 192.168.100.2

I do get a very different IP using whatsmyip.org

@Nick 192.168 addresses are not routeable,  when you go to whatsmyip.org it uses the PUBLIC IP address and not your internal NAT IP.

I have a private network too with a 192.168 address and when I go to whatsmyip.org it says 66.xx.xx.xxx (a TW ip address that is assigned to my cable modem)

@Nick

It is confirmed now, you have a router behind a router. This is a networking no no. You will have to call your ISP and see if they can help you put the modem in bridge mode (bridge mode disable the DHCP server on the modem and assigns the external IP to your ASUS router). Or you can at least DMZ the IP assigned to your ASUS router (that is 192.168.100.2) if you can’t do bridge mode.

You can try connecting a computer directly to the line coming in from outside and seeing if you can access a configuration page of the modem (bypassing the ASUS router). The configuration IP of the modem should be 192.168.100.1

Some of the cable modems they sell have a router built into them.  I got two different devices so I can upgrade the router and keep the same cable modem.  The upgrade would be to AC but I have to research to find the one I want.  I read that Cisco sold off the Linksys line to Netgear, and I don’t want to go there.

@beastman

Yes what you say is correct. But the OP upgrading his router would not solve his issue.

The issue with multiple NATs and not being able to access the configuration of the modem. If he calls his ISP and finds out what the brand and model of the modem is, maybe we can help.

His issue is the exact same in the thread below, except the OP knew how to access the modem configuration and he just DMZ’d his router.

http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/1845/verizon-fios-remoting-not-working

@Nick It is confirmed now, you have a router behind a router. This is a networking no no. You will have to call your ISP and see if they can help you put the modem in bridge mode (bridge mode disable the DHCP server on the modem and assigns the external IP to your ASUS router). Or you can at least DMZ the IP assigned to your ASUS router (that is 192.168.100.2) if you can't do bridge mode. You can try connecting a computer directly to the line coming in from outside and seeing if you can access a configuration page of the modem (bypassing the ASUS router). The configuration IP of the modem should be 192.168.100.1
@theuser86 * You are exactly right. 
@Nick, give your ISP a shout and have them put the modem into bridge mode.

@TabloSupport pretty sure you meant that me being right for some other item?? lol

@Jestep It’s a busy day!  :"> But yes, you’re right. Fixed.

Thanks all for the help.

They said they could do this, and that they would have to give me a static public IP for it to work as well. (He said just putting it in bridge mode without a static IP won’t do anything). However, they want an extra $5 per month.

So I have to decide whether that’s worth it to me or not. I bought the Tablo mainly for the DVR capabilities, not remote access.

@Nick

I can put my modem in bridge mode and it’s a cable service with a dynamic IP, there’s no need for a static IP. I’ve done the same with DSL services in the past too.

Ask them why can’t the WAN IP just be assigned dynamically?

Have you tried logging into the modem and doing it yourself?

@theuser86

I was wondering about that, which is why I mentioned it here.

I will ask them.

@Nick

Or ask them to DMZ the IP assigned to the ASUS router on the modem.

That way no bridge mode is needed.

They are saying that in bridge mode, it would still be behind the firewall. That’s the way their network is set up. Doing a static IP is their only method of making my router available outside of their firewall.

No go on the DMZ option either.

In bridge mode the router functions which are NAT and firewall functions are disabled and lets the ASUS do it’s job. Bridge mode lets the modem be only a modem.

Ask to speak to a senior tech support rep. The person you’re talking to may not know exactly what they’re talking about.