Blue led light

i have a situation with the blue led light. i don’t want it on so i go into the settings menu to uncheck the led checkbox. but it comes back on after a few hours. looking at the menu setting, it is still unchecked.

is there something that triggers it on? such as the guide updates? i’m not sure if the scheduled guide updates happen at about the same time for everyone, but mine looks to be happening in the early hours of the morning at about 1-2 am. could this be causing the light to turn back on even though i turned it off?

You should open a ticket with Tablo Support if the box is still unchecled

http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

thanks. just did.

I believe someone else mentioned this same sort of thing about a month ago…  interesting.

it happened to me before as well.  I just go back to the setting and toggle the check box.  On a similar topic, I wish the turn off led option also turn off the activity lights!  It is a bit annoying at night.

from what tablo support says, it may have to do with the usb connection to the hard drive or the hard drive itself. i’ve switched the drive connection to the other usb port and it’s also happenning. not sure if it’s the port, the cable, or the drive. i’m using a 500 gb wd “my passport” drive on one port. the other port is occupied by a laptop cooler for powering the fan.

@rem736 they said the drive is why the LED is on the Tablo? Seems like a strange answer, but if true it would be a firmware issue.

@Jestep, i was just trying to remember without looking at the email they sent.

this is exactly what was said: “We’ve actually seen this crop up if the USB drive attached to the Tablo has a faulty cable/port”.

so it’s not the drive but the cable or the usb port. i don’t think it’s the cable because i’ve used the same cable with this very drive on a channel master dvr+ with no issues before getting the tablo.

@rem736 yea that sounds really weird that an LED to show what’s going on with the Tablo itself would stay on because of a peripheral device…

@rem736 @Jestep When a drive boots up (as though it’s just being connected) it causes the Tablo’s firmware to run a check on a few things - the LED being one of them. If the LED is toggled off, and the drive does this multiple times, it can get turned back on inadvertently - we’re working to iron this one out.

@TabloSupport @TabloTV  I’m very interested in seeing this one fixed as well.  I have the same issue (LED turning itself on).  This is a pretty big problem for me.  My wife, who has had two brain surgeries, has an odd side effect:  blue LED’s give her migraine headaches.  That’s right–the blue LED is a migraine trigger for her.  I’d really like a way to keep the light off if possible.

it looks like it may have to do with both usb ports being used (i use the spare usb port for powering a laptop cooler). for the past several days, i pulled the power from the the laptop cooler and it hasn’t lit up since. i’ll confirm by powering up the laptop cooler tonight when i get home. if i see the light tomorrow morning, i would see it as clear indication that it’s a power issue.

@TabloSupport, i’ve confirmed it. friday night, i plugged the laptop cooler into the spare usb port for power and saturday morning, i found the blue led lit up. i’ve since removed the laptop cooler from the the spare usb port and this morning (sunday) the led light is still off. so there seems to be a power issue that’s causing the led to light even when i’ve turn it off.

@ddd671, perhaps you could cover up the led with some electrical tape. put some black electrical tape on a piece of paper, then tape the whole thing over the led with some normal scotch tape. i wouldn’t use electrical tape directly on the tablo because it could leave a sticky, gooey mess when you remove it.

@rem736 I bought a Wink Hub for my home automation and they have no way to shut off their LED and that thing is twice as bright as the Tablo… I sent them a Tweet with a picture of it with the electrical tape on it asking them to add to their product. 

It helps but the thing is way too bright. I do appreciate Tablo even adding that ability in :wink:

And good idea about the scotch tape, I need to do that on that hub.

@rem736 If I was going to that level, I would just open the thing up and desolder the LED.  I was a hardware guy for 25 yrs. before I started this IT guy gig I have now.  :0) 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Mine is mostly off, and I’ve trained the wife to not look this way.  There is a blue LED on my Ooma box as well, so just fixing the tablo isn’t enough.

@rem736 If I was going to that level, I would just open the thing up and desolder the LED.  I was a hardware guy for 25 yrs. before I started this IT guy gig I have now.  :0) 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Mine is mostly off, and I've trained the wife to not look this way.  There is a blue LED on my Ooma box as well, so just fixing the tablo isn't enough.

How did you train her? I need that course :stuck_out_tongue:

@ChrisFix You have a point there, but I’d be willing to bet it is a surface mount LED.  No leads to clip.

@rem736 If I was going to that level, I would just open the thing up and desolder the LED.  I was a hardware guy for 25 yrs. before I started this IT guy gig I have now.  :0

Or just clip one lead…and done!

@ChrisFix You have a point there, but I'd be willing to bet it is a surface mount LED.  No leads to clip.

Yes, you are probably correct…