Backup to My Tablo

This Homeworx 180 has an interesting approach to volume. Given the discussions about the Tablo’s low volume, the 180 has its own volume control. However it does not control the TV’s volume but only its own. It bumps up the volume of the video it plays while leaving the TV volume where it is.

I’m discovering that the combination of TitanTV (2 week guide) + Homeworx EPG (24 hour guide) makes for a very usable PVR. Even though we bought the lifetime Tablo subscription, there are times I prefer scrolling through TitanTV to locate shows of interest.

The 180 has two ways of scheduling recordings: select from EPG or manual addition.

That’s how my daughter is approaching it.

BTW I transferred the Homeworx remote functionality to a better (programmable) remote and it is much better. Mediasonic has remote codes for Logitech.

Interestingly the Homeworx makes me feel much better (and more secure) about the Tablo knowing I now have a backup.

OK Mediasonic pump out those cheap ATSC 3.0 tuners\recorders when ATSC 3.0 hits the streets…:laughing:

What would be an interesting comparison is the mpg2-to-mp4 process using the Tablo and Homeworx. Extract the mp4 from Tablo using a Tablo ripper. Get the mpg2 off the 180 and run it through Handbrake to get a comparable MP4. See what the qualitity and differences between the two might be…since some of us save the mp4s to a personal library.

1 Like

So for old times sake, I switched the RF output of the Homeworx to channel 4 (the NTSC option on the back since the Homeworx also works as a converter box), hooked it up to the RF input of my VCR (yep still have one since I come across interesting tapes in bargain bins) and recorded a show. It actually worked when I viewed the show on the TV through the composite connection from ye olde Phillips VCR. Very nostalgic viewing a tape; for a moment I felt like Chevy Chase in “Christmas Vacation” viewing old films in the attic.

Yeah not all movies and TV shows have been transferred to DVD. Just as not all vinyl and cassettes made it to CD. Occasionally I come across VCR tapes of films I once enjoyed which are not on DVD. So I buy the tape and digitize it. There are web sites that deal with this “oldie” stuff. I got hold of an old Linda Ronstadt concert on VHS that was outstanding and has never made it to DVD.

Yep did the same thing, now use a different remote. I like that it stays fairly cool, just a hint of warmth. Can keep it on standby until it records. Then it goes back to standby mode after recording. Still can’t get over the picture quality - even when it records the 480p programs.

Going to try hooking up the TV to its RF out and see if in standby mode the TV still receives the signal (have the Homeworx behave as a passive signal passthru). This type of hookup would then avoid using a splitter with its line loss. Read somewhere that it actually amps up the signal so will be interested if that boost shows up on the TV meter. However given how fast it switches channels, a dual hookup may not be necessary…

This is going to get interesting if they flood the market for ATSC 3.0 tuners.

Works as signal passthru when in standby mode hooking up TV’s RF In to its RF Out.

Wish I had known about it when I advised my neighbor to get a dumb converter box to service his old large screen TV he didn’t want to replace. Then he would have also had a guide plus recording.

1 Like

Yep and it’s cheaper by ten bucks than those converter boxes sold during the digital cutover period.

Okay, MarkKindle - thanks for inviting me to this forum. At least now I know (sorta…) why CraigRoyce called you Uncle Leo! I was scratchin my head over that comment. Just one question - can you set up recurring recordings? It’s the return of all things NCIS & everything else I watch from CBS that leads me to wanting a quick fix. Unless I can set recurring recordings, the trusty old VCRs are a better band-aid for me. The picture quality won’t be as good, but it’ll be adequate.

1 Like

Yes, you can set up recurring recordings from their guide.

1 Like

I’ve kept my VCR. Every so often I run across tapes in bargain bins of movies that have never been transcribed by the studios to DVD - some that I remember from my youth.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll order one! Or two. Regardless of how this works out with Tablo, it’ll be convenient.

Just remember - as I’ve said elsewhere and before - I’m not recommending it because it is “great.” It does the job inexpensively and takes a burden off my Tablo (recording long running sports programs that go for hours). It’s not fancy by any means - it won’t measure up to the Tablo’s UI. It’s a secondary, supporting DVR at best handy to have around.

You might want to check out @JerryG 's thread for some more info:

BTW I got an inexpensive $12 64 GB flash key from Staples (Lexar JumpDrive S25) to plug into it for recording and time-shifting. That’s about ten one hour shows worth of storage because the Homeworx does not store compressed video (uncompressed). Makes for nice picture quality especially for sports.

Worked out the kinks by using a USB 3.0 key or a USB 2.0 (or higher) disk drive.

Understood. I’m just looking at is as preferable to a VCR as a handy back-up.

However it is nice for watching live TV. The channel switching is instantaneous, the picture quality is great and one gets time-shifting for live TV while channel surfing quickly. I even was able to hook up a portable black and white TV (6 inch screen) from 20 years ago because it can send out the old NTSC stream to analog TVs (as it also functions as a converter box).

2 Likes

You’re right! picked up a 180STB for $36 at an electronics outlet in here in Vegas. I was going to post about it in a topic, then found this post of yours. The EPG is primitive but it works. The speed and tuner sensitivity are far beyond what I’d expect for this kind of money.

I’ve been experimenting with this Mediasonic Homeworx box for about a week or so, it really does work. Thought I had made some kind of great “discovery”, then a search of the forums reveals I am late to the party on this (two years late!).

Giving this to an ex girlfriend who has a simple setup (one 40" tv, cheapie sound bar). We got her a Mohu indoor antenna at Best Buy, set it all up and it works great. She’s loves it, we’re both pleased by the fact it has limited learning curve. Also giving her my Harmony 650, the included remote looks as though it could go bad, long before the box itself.

1 Like