Anybody else annoyed by the prominent (default) placement of the new Delete function?

Having delete be the first default action is bad UI design. That was my first reaction when using that feature of the new channel app.

2 Likes

Yes, it is annoying, the wife keeps selecting it than has to press back.

So that is what is happening. All I saw was delete. Now I no to look for episodes. But couldnā€™t they at least show last episode first. I assume that is the one most often wanted.

I personally like to watch them in orderā€¦ so I like to be able to access the OLDEST show first, and then watch in orderā€¦ I wouldnā€™t want to watch the ā€œlast episodeā€ first, if I hadnā€™t seen the ones before itā€¦ would miss some plot pointsā€¦ :wink:

I have a compromise for you, how about Watch Oldest Unwatched Episode. Then it satisfies both use cases. If you are watching every week, the most recent would be the oldest unwatched.

3 Likes

I believe it is going to be difficult to program for everyoneā€™s particular taste and viewing habits. I for one, do NOT want to see the latest episode first, I really like how Tablo has it set up already in the regard to show orderā€¦

I donā€™t have enough time to sit and catch up on every show every week, in fact, typically one or two shows will sit on the DVR most, if not the entire, season I will catch up over the programming breaks (Winter Holidays / Summer). So for me, I want the screen to show the first in the series.

Additionally, I donā€™t keep most shows after I watch them, with it set up as it is, a single down press gets me right to first show in the series that I have not watched. Perfect.

As a side note, the Tablo does order news and other live events (ie, anything without an episode #) differently. For those, it lists the most recent first, again, perfect for my viewing habits since for news, I DO want the latest and am not worried about missed episodes.

Anyway, not saying your viewing habits are wrong, everyone uses it differently and thatā€™s fine, just saying for some of us, we would vote for NO CHANGES to the show order so I am thinking Tablo is never going to fully win on this one.

***The Compromise above- ā€œWatch Oldest Unwatched Episodeā€ that would work for me for general shows, but again, not for Live events / news casts.

Tablo could add a few different quick links to cover different scenarios, that would make more of us happy, but soon you end up with so many different ā€œquick linksā€ to scroll through, it would be just as easy to just scroll through the recorded episodesā€¦

Yep, never bothered me. If it were possible to ā€œaccidentallyā€ click it and actually delete something it might have bothered me, but you have to go through a whole series of steps to actually finish the delete function.

@Daniel454 I donā€™t think you are understanding my request. Iā€™m saying instead of the default choice being ā€œdeleteā€ on the show main menu, it could be ā€œWatch Oldest Unwatched Episodeā€, or " Watch Newest Episode" or something similar. It could even be a drip down menu similar to the delete drop down menu. Iā€™m not suggesting that the screen you scroll down to, with all the episodes, should change at all. Itā€™s fine as is-but the default delete button is odd.

Also, @MotobikeMan , its not a whole series of clicks, I tested it last night, its two clicks, delete, then delete all.

1 Like

Two would actually be a series of clicks. I do understand it isnā€™t as long of a series as you would like, but I think my comment which was actually directed to @TabloTV still stands.

Yeah, but the default click through action on a well designed UI should be:

a.) The most likely action that the user generally wants to execute

b.) A non-destructive action

This design fails on both counts.

I can deal with it, itā€™s not a deal breaker by any means. But if the Nuvyyo people are trying to build the best possible product, they should address it.

1 Like

You said ā€œa whole series of clicksā€. If someone said that would you ever guess they meant 2 clicks?

Toucheā€¦

1 Like

I agree, it should be different, but it will come. They have proven to me their commitment to quality, and a high level of responsiveness.

Sorry, I may have went a bit off topic, I do understand the original request though, and I agree that the default should NOT be ā€œdeleteā€, it should be access to the shows watched.

My argument was that the link provided, whatever that link is, is not going to make everyone happy if it has some type of default action such as watch oldest show or most recent show, or watch most recent un-watched show, etcā€¦

If its going to only have ONE option by default, for me, it should simply be as they showed above, ā€œEpisodesā€, period, the end, bring up the list as its shown now and choose whatever works for your viewing habits.

Reading earlier in the thread it sounds like they are already on it. Good deal.

@Dan_Cooper For Roku they are, but @TabloTV remained silent for Android TV :frowning:

Yeah, I just kinda assumed that theyā€™d change everything to keep a consistent look and feel across all platforms. That may not be a valid assumption. I really have no experience with Tablo outside of the Roku.