Antop Antennas!

Convinced … waiting shipping on 800 sbs. Of all places qvc best price

Oh heck! “Andy, he’s the one who did it - Barney did it (@ben1). Now Gomer settle down, Barn didn’t mean no harm.”

QVC now owns HSN.

1 Like

That’s pretty good company, I’ll take it.

1 Like

Add to it that $3000 mega ultimate 4K TV you bought will never be able to receive 4K OTA… time to buy another.

… which is alright, because I made sure to get an HD antenna, not a regular one. It’s always the first question I ask, when shopping for an antenna “Are you sure this one is HD?” If the guy says yes, I lay down the money but if he tells me it’s an SD antenna, I keep on walking.

And the bonus is that you also got a 4K antenna!

But is it gluten free? I hope they add that to the packaging soon :crazy_face:

Fascinating article on the move to LO VHF (with WGBH comments). See also the interesting remark regarding LO VHF and mobile operation under ATSC 3.0:

@MarkKindle Thanks for the link.

Back in the day, when I was a child in NYC, Low VHF, or VHF in general, was considered “normal” and the UHF frequency was seen as containing weird junk channels. CBS was actual VHF 2, NBC was 4 and ABC was on 7. The highest was PBS on 13.

Today is almost the reverse:

“When we were analog broadcasters, the technology was more stable and had better market penetration in the lower channels,” said David Piccerelli, president of Rhode Island PBS. “Now with digital, it’s the opposite — higher channels are much more stable.”

The Antop 400BV with VHF extension rods attacked does a fantastic job of getting a solid signal on the one major Hi-VHF channel near me. There are no Lo-VHF so I hope it remains that way.

1 Like

@ben1

Ok

I give up… enough of the hype already!

Too many respectful posters on here with positive reviews.

I ordered one… they are on eBay now for $99.07.

Can’t wait.

Chas

2 Likes

That is fantastic, I salute you.

Welcome to the club, you found an excellent deal on this. Make sure to log in and post a photo of your setup.

1 Like

Some antennas as designed to receive lo-vhf. Many only hi-vhf and/or uhf. But even antennas not designed for lo-vhf can under certain conditions pick up lo-vhf.

The at-401bv specifications state frequencies ranges of 87.5-230MHz, 470-700MHz. Lo-vhf is 54-88 MHz. FM radio is 88-108MHz which antop claims it can receive.

Installed the new antop 800… picked up 7 more channels. Curious on how well it does with rain fade now.
All my channels are uhf about 38 miles away

1 Like

Fantastic.

When are you going to come out and tell us that you are an Antop shill getting commissions from each sale? That story you gave us - that you knew nothing about OTA…oh come on :wink: You’re just like that Joseph Begn guy (Tivo plant - sure he switched from Tablo - he probably never had one!)…

OK, you got me.

Yah I figured all that traveling had to do with Antop business. Disguised as Vegas trips, etc.

2 Likes

Pardon the long post but I would like to ask the opinion of the hive mind.

I recently purchased the end top BV 400 And I love it. Here in Austin Texas I am having a weak signal issue that I wasn’t experiencing before with channel 36 Oddly enough that channel shares the same direction location and distance from my home as other Austin channels in the area yet channel 36 continues to have a weak signal for me

Currently I have the antenna positioned vertically but I am only able to use one of the horizontal VHF rods for the antenna. This is because the horizontal rods are too wide for my antenna arm on the side of the house and I’m too scared to get on my roof and that hi call me chicken

My question is this do you think I could position the antenna horizontally to solve this potential reception issue? This means the main antenna element would be horizontal in the VHF rods would be vertical but I could use the entire element positioned in this manner

I am in ZIP Code 78739 in approximately 11 miles from the station In question and my current setup is attached.

Am I crazy or am I stupid am I hopeless I would appreciate your thoughts and ideas

Matt

The rods that screw into the sides of the Antop 400-BV are for reception of VHF signals. Your station on virtual channel 36 actually broadcast on UHF channel 21, so the rods shouldn’t have any affect on that signal.

Thanks I had the same thought but I am just scratching my head at this point I appreciate the review and your thoughts